Small club mentality from many on TFC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Noticed on various player threads, there seems to be a growing clamour to sell Son and Kane. Meanwhile many on Lo Celso thread seem to want him out too, perhaps because they love the idea of Sissoko/Winks as permanent feature in our mid.

This mentality is pissing me off. How about we KEEP our best players, and use them to attract other top quality players. Try to get a top quality RW in the summer so we have a fearsome front 3.

We haven't done great this season, but the truth is we are still in contention for top 4 and a couple of trophies, simply because they are world class. Without them, would we even qualify for Europa League?

With them gone, we would appear to be a sinking ship. I can imagine Reguilon, who has a buy back clause, calling Perez and going back to Madrid.
My challenge to these people who think we'll be fine with Son and Kane, is who do you think you can bring in as a replacement? Even with huge budget, which elite player would we able to attract?

Last edited:
Noticed on various player threads, there seems to be a growing clamour to sell Son and Kane. Meanwhile many on Lo Celso thread seem to want him out too, perhaps because they love the idea of Sissoko/Winks as permanent feature in our mid.

This mentality is pissing me off. How about we KEEP our best players, and use them to attract other top quality players. Try to get a top quality RW in the summer so we have a fearsome front 3.

There's no doubt if we sold Son and Kane we'd have quite a big budget. But who the fuck would even want to come to us with them gone? We haven't done great this season, but the truth is we are still in contention for top 4 and a couple of trophies, simply because they are world class. Without them, would we even qualify for Europa League?

With them gone, we would appear to be a sinking ship, a club on decline who can't even keep hold of their top players. I can imagine Reguilon, who has a buy back clause, calling Perez and going back to Madrid.
My challenge to these people who think we'll be fine with Son and Kane, is who do you think you can bring in as a replacement? Forget the budget, which elite player would we able to attract?
For me it's not who we would be able to attract.
Let's say for the sake of argument we get £200m for the two of them. We'd spend that money on 5/6/7 young up and coming players, rather than 1 or 2 top players.

See the Bale money.

Okay so name the 6 young players you could get for a combined fee of £200M
I'm not going to list a load of B or C grade players, there's shit loads of them.
I'll name an up and coming one though.
Aarons, quoted at @ £30m.
6 of similar is £180m, it'll be a gamble, with everyone hoping that they all develop into top players. The reality is that even if only one of them does become a top player, we'd have been very, very lucky.

I'm not saying that is what we should do, only that it's what we will do.
I agree with you that it would be madness for us to sell Kane and Sonny.

I wouldn't want to sell Kane or Son but even if we did i wouldn't trust our scouting and transfer department to be able to identify the right players to replace them. Or the manager to use the players he gets.

Our recent transfer dealings don't fill me with any confidence in that area.

Players come and ago. We said the same about the likes of Dier, Dele, Eriksen etc when they were playing well and interest was very high, keep them and build around them. Except that their form nosedived and we barely could sell some of them, while others are still lurking at the club producing next to no good.

Haaland £60m release clause.
So that leaves £140m to be split between the rest.

I could do that.
Why don't we get in for players like that before Dortmund? Haaland, Sancho, Bellingham etc..why is their scouting team able to pull off signings like that and we can't?

Forget players, just hire Dortmund's scouting and transfer department, that would be a start.

Why don't we get in for players like that before Dortmund? Haaland, Sancho, Bellingham etc..why is their scouting team able to pull off signings like that and we can't?

Forget players, just hire Dortmund's scouting and transfer department, that would be a start.
Brilliant point. Why is our transfer business always so much like its an afterthought rather than an actual plan.......its because levy is in charge of it and he has no fucking clue about what players we should sign

I want to keep our best players but if we finish midtable we won't keep them. They want to play for a club with ambition, not a club that has won one trophy in 20 years and being outdone by Leicester City, Spammers, Everton and Villa.

...what if the players want to leave. If we finish without Europe or silver, does anyone really blame them?

This could just turn in to Eriksen all over again. They've done their time and sacrificed the best years and it's always just been out of reach. I would love it for both of them to stay but if all the variable factors in the equation are favourable for everyone then I say go for it.

Also, just to point out that Barcelona will probably have to have a fire sale if their in as much trouble as the rumours say they are. If we get an avg of £90 mil each then that's a lot of young talent from La Masia I could imagine we could pick up.

Agree both Kane & Son have given us their best & if we can get a fair deal (not give away prices) they will go with my thanks, but please go outside the EPL (i could just about stomach man city, but no-one else)

Agree both Kane & Son have given us their best & if we can get a fair deal (not give away prices) they will go with my thanks, but please go outside the EPL (i could just about stomach man city, but no-one else)

Luckily that's the one thing I doubt Levy would let happen. My bet would be Germany for Son most likely Bayern. Kane would be a bit trickier because he has the whole family life to think about.

Back
Top Bottom