Social media boycott

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

About time.

It is only a matter of time until a rival provider to Twitter and others sets up, where verified details are required to register, and that becomes default site for high profile people to post at.

About time.

It is only a matter of time until a rival provider to Twitter and others sets up, where verified details are required to register, and that becomes default site for high profile people to post at.
How long before you need to provide ID to have a social media account.

I can see it happening. Similar to how Airbnb works.

I think this is a really bad idea.
People aren't thinking through the consequences. People being able to post anonymously means they can whistleblow without fear of having identity revealed.
What about people in countries which has oppression? People can now speak out against those leaders and give examples of oppression- but if they had to use their ID, the could be 'out-ed' and then face massive repercussions.

I do agree that abuse on social media has gone too far, and not enough is done. I think the best way to tackle it is quicker moderation, so racist abuse etc. is deleted quickly, and the relevant account is banned.

I don't think providing ID is a good idea either.

Imagine the treasure trove of data hackers could get their hands on.

But Airbnb already use it so there will be people who think it's a good idea.

Sad thing is, these social medial companies are far bigger than needing to worry about something like this.

If the media and social media didn't cover the boycott (now there's an irony) nobody would probably have noticed. It's incredible that the clubs are so far up their own arses they think staying of social media for a weekend will be some massive anti racist gesture ... how woke can you get.

The internet is a cesspit of extreme minority views the whole sorry construct is dragging the planet ever downwards, with the US leading the way. Football clubs posting or not posting? who do they think gives a shit?

Is there a single poster on here who will be shocked/bothered/notice at all if football clubs and players don't post for a weekend ... I can't imagine there is, but maybe I'm just out of touch.

Oh but hang on, isn't it a private company? It can do what it wants.

My top tip...get off the platform, but you won't, you'll just try and change their behaviour with a protest. They got you by the balls

Obviously some people post some horrific things but my worry is censorship is a slippery slope , it could lead to control of the internet . Perhaps filters could be an option with a delay of post from input to going live & individual companies can survey alerts . I’m sure bots could do this

Obviously some people post some horrific things but my worry is censorship is a slippery slope , it could lead to control of the internet . Perhaps filters could be an option with a delay of post from input to going live & individual companies can survey alerts . I’m sure bots could do this
It's quite simple, social media platforms model is based on volume of traffic
If they moderate racism and hate they'll lose a large portion of that traffic.
So they won't do it.
It's wrong but that's what it is. Even the page owners don't care what is said as long as lots of people are "liking, commenting and sharing"

The best form of censorship is the off switch, having private companies censor free speech (they already are) is an Orwellian nightmare.

Anyone can "block content from this poster" maybe that should be easier to do - a large block button on every page - but in the end if you don't want to see it - then switch it off.

Back
Top Bottom