Tell me all about ……Eddie Clayton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

On the retro photo page I posted a team photo of Tottenham away from home v Feyenoord , Eddie Clayton is in the photo according to wiki he played one game in the European Cup which that must have been, he played a total of 92 games over a 10 year period for us 1957 -1967 which was quite a successful period for us, he must have been a “under the radar kinda of player”….……. he’s not mentioned very often

I only know of him as a fringe player, think he was sub in 1967 Cup Final. don't think I ever saw him playing live.

Last edited:
On the retro photo page I posted a team photo of Tottenham away from home v Feyenoord , Eddie Clayton is in the photo according to wiki he played one game in the European Cup which that must have been, he played a total of 92 games over a 10 year period for us 1957 -1967 which was quite a successful period for us, he must have been a “under the radar kinda of player”….……. he’s not mentioned very often

Maybe worth reminding people that subs were not allowed until about 1965/66 ...... so for the majority of his time he only got playing time when a first team player was injured, otherwise he played in the reserves.

Back then it wasn't a squad game, it was very much about the first team X1 only, totally different to today. And the same first team played in almost all matches.

So unless you really stood out in the reserves, you stayed a reserve for your career and rarely played first team football, unless you moved club.

So no surprise Clayton only played half a dozen or so first team games a season during his career.

Maybe worth reminding people that subs were not allowed until about 1965/66 ...... so for the majority of his time he only got playing time when a first team player was injured, otherwise he played in the reserves.

Back then it wasn't a squad game, it was very much about the first team X1 only, totally different to today. And the same first team played in almost all matches.

So unless you really stood out in the reserves, you stayed a reserve for your career and rarely played first team football, unless you moved club.

So no surprise Clayton only played half a dozen or so first team games a season during his career.

What would happen if a player got injured during a game ? No subs?

What would happen if a player got injured during a game ? No subs?
Yep.
And even when one sub was introduced,if you had two injuries during a game,tough!
Hence why it wasn't that uncommon (in the greater scheme of things)for an outfield player having to play in goal. I recall both Glenn Hoddle for us and Vinnie Jones for Wimbledon (I think )doing It.

Yep.
And even when one sub was introduced,if you had two injuries during a game,tough!
Hence why it wasn't that uncommon (in the greater scheme of things)for an outfield player having to play in goal. I recall both Glenn Hoddle for us and Vinnie Jones for Wimbledon (I think )doing It.
I remember Graham Roberts going in goal after Ray Clemence had to go off injured in a FA Cup game at Craven Cottage in the mid 1980's.

Yep.
And Graham Roberts for us against Fulham.

Back
Top Bottom