The 1901 Cup Final

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A pic of the Sheff Utd team. Foulke sort of stands out!

What I am wondering is why Mr Spock is there standing on the right?

Sheffield_United_FC_1901_team.jpg

Sheffield United played an away match and someone forgot to pack Foulke's shirt. A desperate attempt to find a replacement shirt large enough for him at a local sports shop proved fruitless, so he played the match wrapped in a bed-sheet.

Despite the muddy conditions, Foulke didn't concede and was spotless after the match.

Hence the term "keeping a clean sheet" for goalkeepers was born.

Its a geek off.

"I have never been to a game but I have a fully intact; still in its plastic; programme of the 1932 league cup 3rd round clash with Aldershot Town, or Aldershot FC as they were known back then" *Nasal voice*

I think you will find that that programme may well be priceless, does it say in the pre match notes that the game will have to be postponed due to the fact that the competion will not actually be starting until 1960.
:gio:

That's brilliant stuff BB.

I love the quote 'Foulkes is marvellously agile for his twenty stone'.

That's huge now, but in those days when people were generally shorter and lighter that's massive.

Foulke (not Foulkes) played for Chelsea in their first Football League season and the club employed two lads to stand behind the goal and tease him.

They also used to retrieve the ball when it went out of play, so the tradition of having ball-boys at football matches was born.

Foulke had a tragic end to his life when beset by poverty, he was reduced to earning a pittance in a "beat the goalie" sideshow attraction in Blackpool where he caught pneumonia, from which he died.

I thought you said you had good banter with your Dad !

I look down at the menu, the stand out choices appear to be a minted lamb burger or a Cajun chicken wrap. I wonder about the potential horse content but then decide I don't really care anyway. The menu is sticky. My packet of golden Virginia is empty. Would anyone care if I trawled the ashtrays outside for butts? I have three rizla left, I could make a mixie.

I'm confused, are you still in Wetherspoons in Swindon ? That menu seems far superior to what I remember, in the days that I had to slum it. Thank fuck I got myself out of that downward spiral of surf and turf, onion rings and a free pint. Oh, I get it, you will do anything for a free pint. That means you can use that money to put towards some, what is it, Golden Virginia ? If I was you I would stick to the Butts, save the money, then in about 5 years you might even be able to afford a decent drug of choice. In your case, I'd put my money on Rohyp.

There's a girl in the corner with a black eye, she's sobbing quietly. I think I've shagged her before after a night out in Yates. I'm too embarrassed to approach her. No point anyway, I haven't been able to get it up since the accident. The stitches in my neck don't come out for another three weeks and the limp is still pronounced.

What time is it anyway? What day is it even? Must be during the week, it's empty in here.

I DON'T WANT TO GO HOME, I DIDN'T EVEN CLEAN UP THE SICK!

I didn't like him at first but he made me realise that's simply because I'm not Spursy enough. Once you accept your own Spursyness levels will never be on a par with Carlito you can start to enjoy his posts a lot more.

Now I strive everyday to be a little more like Carlito. He really has shown me the way, I owe him a lot.

I am currently writing, along with a couple of friends of mine a book about Tottenham`s momentous victory over Sheffield Utd in the 1901 F A Cup Final.
I have amassed quite a lot of memorabilia over the years relating to the final, including privately taken and unpublished photos of crowd scenes taken at the Crystal Palace, these, plus the other stuff I have, made up my mind that a book could be written .I want the book to be as detailed as possible, we are also covering the cup run of both Spurs and United and the celebratory banquet held in the October following.
Does anybody have any memorabilia that could be used by us and be included in the book, I am particularly looking for an In Memoriam card or funeral card it was also called which were sold in great numbers at the time, i know items from this final are very scarce, but don`t want anything left out if it still exists.

Back
Top Bottom