Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The way I'm looking at it is this. If ange is to make this work next season there needs to be monumental change. Whoever ange says needs to go needs to go and whoever ange says needs to come in needs to come in. There is a 0% chance of that happening under this chairman. So for me ange like the others is destined to fail. I hope I'm wrong on that but history suggests I probably won't be. However I would consider any type of silverware a success next season especially over a top 4 spot that means absolutely nothing to me as a fan now.

Why has he not tried that a bit more this season?
Spurs are currently 20th in the league in long passes. Seemed like they did try a few more in the second half of the Liverpool match.

You hope that every player you sign can play in your system, whether they be young or in their prime. This is real life, not FIFA Pro.

You're just another one of those people who think the price tag dictates just how quickly a player integrates.
Ffs we spent nearly £50M on Johnson who already had a year in the PL. you know our history with spending money we can’t afford to spend that much money on a player who cannot hit the ground running. Look at the skill level kudos brings would be perfect for our system. We get the ball to the pen box and give him the ball and his likely to do something with the ball to create a chance.

Ffs we spent nearly £50M on Johnson who already had a year in the PL. you know our history with spending money we can’t afford to spend that much money on a player who cannot hit the ground running. Look at the skill level kudos brings would be perfect for our system. We get the ball to the pen box and give him the ball and his likely to do something with the ball to create a chance.
Kudus?

FFS, lay off the crack pipe man.

What's the point when you don't want the manager here next season, surely it doesn't matter who we get in right?

If he’s staying as looks likely after our sparkling performance yesterday then he might realise that Johnson is much better on the right and if he doesn’t then the new manager surely will

Simple really

Beginning to regret taking you off ignore but I’ll get over it

Right Bro?

So because he doesn't want the manager there should be no new players?

The dumbness on here continues to be rampant

There’s dumbness and there’s Shady dumbness

The Daily Show Wow GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

If he’s staying as looks likely after our sparkling performance yesterday then he might realise that Johnson is much better on the right and if he doesn’t then the new manager surely will

Simple really

Beginning to regret taking you off ignore but I’ll get over it

Right Bro?

Mental 🏋️‍♂️ 🏋️‍♀️

wtf, stop being thick, you literally said it again in the post you just quoted ffs

If I were in the main man's shoes my
line would be we, including himself should not be in this position. That our performances since beating Villa have not been to the necessary stsndard.

That 5th as is likely is not a bad return and next season has to be better.

Lay the ground and part the sea.

You’ll get some dislike mate about slating Johnson 😀
Couldn't care less.

I also got hounded for giving up on Sessegnon, Ndombele, Aurier, Lamela, Sanchez, Dele, Lucas, Bergwijn before it was fashionable. Sometimes it's obvious when a player needs selling but it takes the normies a good few years and a hundred shit performances to clock it. And in the meantime the club loses £Xmillions by not selling them sooner. Levy has a major problem accepting fuck-ups in the transfer market.

Had we sold Ndombele in that first summer for £40m like I wanted the club would have probable saved about £100m in lost wages and transfer fee combined. And our midfield wouldn't have had a glaring Ndombele-shaped hole in it for 5 seasons.

If we were to sell Brennan this summer we'd probably still make £30m, he's young and HG after all. How much will he be worth after 2 more years being played in a role he'll never suit?

Last edited:
Obviously good thing that we won. More or less secured our 5th spot in the league and place in Europa League group stage for upcoming season.

I am still unsure what to think about our manager future.

Honest question those who are doubtless in Ange - doesn't it all feel like massive downward spiral for you?

Start of the season we met Burnley in league. Smashed them convincingly, basically ran over them. 5-1 to us.
Mid season we meet Burnley in cup. Very much huffing and puffing. Dire game, minimal sharpness and directness. Needed Porro screamer to win it 1:0.
End of season. Home game. Even more huffing and puffing. Most of the first half feels like not one player knows other and our attacking moves are... well shocking. Go behind and in the end just nearly win it thanks to central defender putting away a chance.

To me, this trend is worrying. Even Burnley fucking FC knew how to crave us open and score against us and I honestly feel that these 3 games against Burnley illustrate our performance levels dropping over course of a season.

Just for all those going on and on about Arteta and how he as given time.
He took over Dec 20th 2019
From that point they lost a max of 3 games in a row that season and won the FA Cup.
From the start of 20/21 season they had a rough start, where they were pretty dismal in 14 matches only winning and losing 7.
But from match week 15 - they won 14 and only lost 5.
21/22 from MW 10 they spent the majority of the rest of the season in the top 5 fighting for top 4. Their first 3 were bad, but the next 8 were good. Again, no more than 3 losses in a row.
22/23 was last season where they were pretty good all season.

To my mind, although they weren't good when he first took over, you could see improvement after an initial decline. I'm not sure if that decline happened before or after he started though. Obviously Emery was sacked to bring in Arteta, so it couldn't have been brilliant.

I'm just not sure where we are heading under him tbh.

Like the guy but I genuinely believe the players aren't fully on board with him and this 'we play one way' just doesn't work long term for success unless your Man City

One player coming in the summer won't change how we defend either

Obviously good thing that we won. More or less secured our 5th spot in the league and place in Europa League group stage for upcoming season.

I am still unsure what to think about our manager future.

Honest question those who are doubtless in Ange - doesn't it all feel like massive downward spiral for you?

Start of the season we met Burnley in league. Smashed them convincingly, basically ran over them. 5-1 to us.
Mid season we meet Burnley in cup. Very much huffing and puffing. Dire game, minimal sharpness and directness. Needed Porro screamer to win it 1:0.
End of season. Home game. Even more huffing and puffing. Most of the first half feels like not one player knows other and our attacking moves are... well shocking. Go behind and in the end just nearly win it thanks to central defender putting away a chance.

To me, this trend is worrying. Even Burnley fucking FC knew how to crave us open and score against us and I honestly feel that these 3 games against Burnley illustrate our performance levels dropping over course of a season.
Agree with a lot of that but you also have to factor in Burnleys improvement. They were stupidly gung ho early season thinking they could out football everyone and soon finding out the premier league isnt the championship. Lately they've drawn at Utd, Chelsea, West Ham .

But we're now at 2 clean sheets in 27 games and the below par performances of 2024 have become a habit not a blip. As someone said on here the other day what do we expect to change with 6 weeks of pre season and 2 or 3 new signings when things have got worse with all these free weeks and fortnights. Not impossible, we might appoint a great coach and those signings might be difference makers but its definately more hope than expectation imo.

Like the guy but I genuinely believe the players aren't fully on board with him and this 'we play one way' just doesn't work long term for success unless your Man City

Signing offensive players who can actually play football helps us out massively defensively actually.

Whether we get the right ones in remains to be seen.

Agree with a lot of that but you also have to factor in Burnleys improvement. They were stupidly gung ho early season thinking they could out football everyone and soon finding out the premier league isnt the championship. Lately they've drawn at Utd, Chelsea, West Ham .

But we're now at 2 clean sheets in 27 games and the below par performances of 2024 have become a habit not a blip. As someone said on here the other day what do we expect to change with 6 weeks of pre season and 2 or 3 new signings when things have got worse with all these free weeks and fortnights. Not impossible, we might appoint a great coach and those signings might be difference makers but its definately more hope than expectation imo.

Ah, shit. Wish we also improved or diversified our approach.

But I think you post hit the nail to head - over course of a season, when we literally only played EPL and ducked out of cups soon... expectation would have that over such season BURNLEY IMPROVED and also WE IMPROVED. But feeling here is that while Burnley managed to do it, at the same time we have regressed to meet half way there.

That is my biggest worry. We have not progressed as a team and from 25 guys in our books, I could AT VERY BEST could say that those improved could be Romero (less rashness and cards) and VDV (even more effective in covering our high line); even those two come with some questions, cause as a team we still concede from left and right. But on top of them, absolutely everyone else have regressed over season. Some more (Kulusevski, Bissouma, Sarr, Maddison), some less (Son, Porro, Vicario), but all other certainly have.

This still makes me think that (right or wrong) but Ange will not last until Xmas.

On paper our entire defensive unit should be one of the best in the league, not 8th in the top half of the table.
I could accept a porus defence if it wasn't for the fact we've been outscored by even Chelsea now.

Back
Top Bottom