Brennan Johnson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Patience needed. Show in glimps and pieces what he is good for, but need to develop his playing and finishing

This. For sure right now he's nowhere near the level we need but was bought to develop I'd guess rather than be thrown in as a week in week out starter.

Even with that shit game he looked miles more of a threat than Kulu.

Nah. Because he has loadbuckets of potential. Not the finished article, more like it
I just don’t see anything near ‘bucketloads’ of potential. I don’t make a point of mugging off our players and I hope he defies expectations and turns into a monster. But, at the moment, he looks painfully average. Limited, uninventive, shit at crossing and shit at finishing.

I’d have zero issue if he was screaming for the ball and marauding past players and then making a mistake. But he’s not.

Academies are absolutely chock full of players like this. We wasted £50 million on one.

Develop his playing and finishing?

Isn’t that just a polite way of saying he’s fucking dogshit?
Screenshot-2023-12-09-at-14.02.00.png

I’ve been defending him all season but my patience is gone. Nearly threw my beer at the television when he missed the absolute sitter from Son. How do you miss that?!? Johnson is selfish most of the match then misses that?!? What business does he have being selfish when he doesn’t even have the finishing ability/composure to put a gilt edge chance like that away?!? wtf?!?

Last edited:
I will start to worry if he is not getting into positions to score.
Brilliant technique matched by a superb save thwarted him in the first half and he was rightly worried about injuring himself on the goal post for the 2nd chance.
7 goals next season and 7 assists minimum.

Blah blah young blah blah potential etc.

But doesn't look any better than what an average academy player could do.

Always hear crap like this; but unless we have an absolute wonderkid then it's not likely to be true.

5 goals / 9 assists = 14........... Not stellar, but not bad for his first EPL season at a big club.

Perspective:

Doku: 3 / 7 = 10
Grealish: 3 / 1 = 4
Kudus: 7 / 6 = 13
Diaby: 6 / 7 = 13
Diaz: 8 / 5 = 13
Gakpo: 7 / 5 = 12
Rashford: 7 / 2 = 9
Eze: 9 / 3 = 12
Mudryk: 4 / 2 = 6
Madueke: 5 / 2 = 7
Sterling: 6 / 4 = 10

Last edited:
I’ve been defending him all season but my patience is gone. Nearly threw my beer at the television when he missed the absolute sitter from Son. How do you miss that?!? Johnson is selfish most of the match then misses that?!? What business does he have being selfish when he doesn’t even have the finishing ability/composure to put a gilt edge chance like that away?!? wtf?!?

Most top strikers are selfish and that’s probably why they are top but when they get the chance to finish they usually do

BJ just doesn’t seem to have the heart anymore especially on the left where he started again today!

I will start to worry if he is not getting into positions to score.
Brilliant technique matched by a superb save thwarted him in the first half and he was rightly worried about injuring himself on the goal post for the 2nd chance.
7 goals next season and 7 assists minimum.
His first effort was quite natural,the one he tried to beat the keeper at his near post he should score. Missed an absolute sitter in the second half from a yard because he doesn’t sense it’s coming to him. His final ball is either good or abysmal.
He’s not for me and neither of our front players are
because they are momentum killers. Breaks down far too much. This is nothing new and it won’t improve because they are what they are in this system playing against low blocks. At times when Burnley came out you can see they would function better but they can’t play when the game is squeezed.

Was a terrible signing from the get go very easy to see..

1. Only suits a low block/counter attack team where he runs in straight lines up and down the pitch into space where his job is to either cross to the backpost or be the one on the end of the cross to the backpost. Can't change direction quickly and has no technical dribbling so ill suited to our system. The other type of winger I've seen work in Anges system is a demon presser like Daizen Maeda but Johnson isn't that either.

2. Even for a counter attacking team 50mil was too steep for what is a limited player. As an Aussie I've followed Anges entire career and have to say this may be the worst signing he's ever made.

Was a terrible signing from the get go very easy to see..

1. Only suits a low block/counter attack team where he runs in straight lines up and down the pitch into space where his job is to either cross to the backpost or be the one on the end of the cross to the backpost. Can't change direction quickly and has no technical dribbling so ill suited to our system. The other type of winger I've seen work in Anges system is a demon presser like Daizen Maeda but Johnson isn't that either.

2. Even for a counter attacking team 50mil was too steep for what is a limited player. As an Aussie I've followed Anges entire career and have to say this may be the worst signing he's ever made.
It’s very strange. He would have suited Conte’s robotic counter attacking football far more than this.

The scouting department must have been scouting him as a young homegrown player over Conte’s reign and saw an opportunity to finally bring him in, because I can’t explain this signing otherwise

I find it hard to believe that Ange pushed for him. To me it screamed an opportunity club signing, due to our homegrown issues

Classic example of a young player that isn't quite ready to be one of the main men... I think we could get a decent fee for Kulusevsky, get a proper right sided attacker and use Johnson as an impact sub. I think this season was too much responsibility on his shoulders too soon, he's just a kid. Not every player matures as quickly as some that were mentioned here. With Kulu it's evident he can't play Anges system so if we keep only one of the two I'd keep BJ

Nah. Because he has loadbuckets of potential. Not the finished article, more like it
how do you see this potential in him? other than pace he doesnt look to have any outstanding quality. whats he meant to be good at? his touch isnt great, he doesnt have that elegant look on the ball. his finishing hasnt been good, his vision and passing havent stood out? where is this potential?

for 50m youd expect some undeniable qualities on top of just pace. weve seen nothing when it comes to class with an actual football.

how do you see this potential in him? other than pace he doesnt look to have any outstanding quality. whats he meant to be good at? his touch isnt great, he doesnt have that elegant look on the ball. his finishing hasnt been good, his vision and passing havent stood out? where is this potential?

for 50m youd expect some undeniable qualities on top of just pace. weve seen nothing when it comes to class with an actual football.
He's very quick in straight line, and can clip a nice low ball across the face of goal. Pure ballstriker, decent first touch. Not a fun player to watch, not the kind of winger I want playing for the team I support. It is what it is, think he'll be with us for a good while because he'll chip away with decent g/a numbers.

He's very quick in straight line, and can clip a nice low ball across the face of goal. Pure ballstriker, decent first touch. Not a fun player to watch, not the kind of winger I want playing for the team I support. It is what it is, think he'll be with us for a good while because he'll chip away with decent g/a numbers.
hes quick in a straight line but he isnt a powerful runner. hes easily brushed aside in a foot race if he gets contact.

hes not a winger that suits playing against sides looking to counter is he? and hes never going to be because we would of seen some silk from him already.

hes quick in a straight line but he isnt a powerful runner. hes easily brushed aside in a foot race if he gets contact.

hes not a winger that suits playing against sides looking to counter is he? and hes never going to be because we would of seen some silk from him already.
I agree totally, but we won't be getting rid of him for three or four years yet. Everton probably.

Back
Top Bottom