Do women football pundits annoy you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do female pundits affect your enjoyment of watching football?

• Yes

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • No

Votes: 28 47.5%
  • who cares

Votes: 14 23.7%

• Total voters
You are playing into his hands by even talking about it. That’s what he wants. He wants to be relevant, even as bigot sexist scum bag, he wants to be seen and heard. Ignore him. It makes no difference to me if a male or female commentator is on. Only insecure people would have an issue.

I think that many pundits are awful, spouting pre-determined and media-driven narratives.

Some aren't terrible, but the quality has deviated over the last few years.

What I will say is firstly, that if there was an influx of male pundits onto the women's game en masse there would be outrage for the women's game and men taking roles, and secondly, that Eni Alouko is fucking awful. Not because she's female, but because she's shit. Slow, ill-informed, lazy. She has no personality. It's boring. But I think the same with Dawson, Clinton Morrison, Glen Murray, Daniel Sturridge and some of the others that are troped out sometimes.

The best, most-suitable and qualified person should get the role if we are going for appropriate representation. Whether that's male or female.

Until the men raise their shitty, agenda riddled game then it's a dumb, non issue.... Even then; it still will be.

Pretty sure there's Barton thread where this debate is already raging though........

Most of them are shit but at least the men have generally played at the top level.

If I was playing at the top level and a female pundit (who at best played at a professional mens team's U16 level - being generous) was expounding what I did wrong and what I should have done better it would probably give me the hump.

Who does the pre, H-T and post match punditry is irrelevant to me because I never watch it.

I don't have much time for pundits full stop. Most of them spout insincere, ill-informed and hyperbolic crap most of the time.

Agree that Eni Alouko is particularly awful and unbearable.

Hard to find a good analyst, male or female, though I guess most of the women make more of an effort, given they get crucified for just being mentioned in the programme briefing. As mentioned up thread by others I find the majority coming out with clichéd, lazy stereotyping, often led by the broadcaster, with little insight or nuance offered.

However, I do recall the 'foreign' guests - being better. Clarence Seedorf I recall being excellent with his offerings. He knows the players he's watching, he's not driven by being with the same analysts week-in, week-out, and I quite like Hasslebaink. There are others but I can't remember names atm.

I don't see the point of a co-commentator, certainly on telly - even if they had a degree of journalistic intelligence, there's not enough time for them to tell me something different to what my eyes have told me. "He's crossed the ball into the 6 yard box..." - thanks, Steve McManaman, I really had no idea.

The best analysts are usually journalists - they have the necessary training to observe, compare and then tell me what's going on. However, Sky and BBC must believe that we need former players to do the job. They may be right - I can imagine the complaints coming in should Super Sunday or MotD replace the usual suspects with journalists. And God help them if they're women...

Female pundits experience is of playing football before the WSL started. That is playing in front of very small attendances at not a very high standard. That is the only merit in Barton’s comments,
Having said that some of them are better than their male equivalents.
The likes of Sturridge and Pennant are crap. Hardly know their subject.
Emma Hayes is one of the best, male or female.

Female pundits experience is of playing football before the WSL started. That is playing in front of very small attendances at not a very high standard. That is the only merit in Barton’s comments,
Having said that some of them are better than their male equivalents.
The likes of Sturridge and Pennant are crap. Hardly know their subject.
Emma Hayes is one of the best, male or female.
I'll agree with that.
She is an excellent pundit.
I judge them on how good they are.There are some awful ones though.Just like their male counterparts.

Back
Top Bottom