Chelsea v Tottenham. 2nd leg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

OK so who would you sign, who comes through the door for realistic money that swings us from being nearly men to title contenders, silverware winners?

We are in the middle of investing vast sums into a stadium that puts us only behind Man U in potential attendance figures all with no oil baron or sheikh in charge, all at a time where prices have literally gone doolally.

We all want success and maybe I'm being too practical but I don't blame the club for not forking out silly money when silly money isn't worth spending on a player who won't vastly improve us. One penalty shootout loss won't change my opinion but honestly to everyone who says spend spend spend PLEASE give more insight as to who you would have got, what figure and why instead of throwing it about with limited substance
Grealish...lol

Been here before.

Chelsea away. Defeat.

Semi Final. Defeat.

Excuses ready. Facts are these;

If you keep doing the same things, you get the same results.

Pochettino is a wonderful manager. Seems like a lovely guy. I don’t want him to go anywhere, but I do want to see him change a bit. The first half tonight was appalling. Absolutely appalling, and so was Foolham Sunday. We are getting close to being like the emperors new clothes. Everyone can see the fucking problem and that Poch is naked in the streets....

I’ve said before that I think it can be argued that it’s easier to lose than to win. And ultimately we are losing semi finals for a reason, is that reason because winning is the hard bit? I think that reason is coming from the board room down we are not aiming high enough, we are a club doing very well, but doing just enough.

In the end, because I care, I can’t figure out the solutions and none of us have anyway to influence club policies. Just sick of being in this rinse repeat cycle. Most of my adult life now has seen failures for Spurs, not the Glory of my childhood.

Been here before. It fucking sucks. When will it end ? Perhaps it’s not going to now.

Last edited:
I agree that we were too timid for whatever reason in the first game, maybe it was fatigue after a run of games that saw us play once every 3-4 days for roughly 2 months, since November 24th I believe, maybe it's for different reasons but there's no great shame in losing to a team that's favourite going into it, who have the home advantage for the 2nd leg which we all know makes a difference, with our key players out for the crunch moment.

If we were to get to a final vs Everton, Leicester etc and lost I'd say it's a bit of a bottle job, but never against a team who goes into the game as favourite, it simp,y isn't fair on the boys

I don't think we bottled anything, we rarely ever lack bottle, I just don't think we performed well, pure and simple, in either game. Even tonight after we scored we had momentum and he killed it by pushing a woeful Dier back into a midfield he'd been abysmal in for the first 45 minutes, but now in a CM2, not 3.

Been here before.

Chelsea away. Defeat.

Semi Final. Defeat.

Pochettino is a wonderful manager. Seems like a lovely guy. I don’t want him to go anywhere, but I do want to see him change a bit. The first half tonight was appalling. Absolutely appalling, and so was Foolham Sunday.

I think it can be argued that it’s easier to lose than to win. And ultimately we are losing semi finals for a reason. I think that reason is because from board room down we are not aiming high enough.

In the end, because I care, I can’t figure out the solutions and none of us have anyway to influence club policies.

Been here before. It fucking sucks.

Great post. Put very succinctly and without ‘melting’. Sums up exactly how I feel

Been here before.

Chelsea away. Defeat.

Semi Final. Defeat.

Pochettino is a wonderful manager. Seems like a lovely guy. I don’t want him to go anywhere, but I do want to see him change a bit. The first half tonight was appalling. Absolutely appalling, and so was Foolham Sunday.

I think it can be argued that it’s easier to lose than to win. And ultimately we are losing semi finals for a reason. I think that reason is because from board room down we are not aiming high enough.

In the end, because I care, I can’t figure out the solutions and none of us have anyway to influence club policies.

Been here before. It fucking sucks.

I agree completely, but I think it's down to far more than just Poch.

Thing that hurts me most is all my mates support either utd or pool. They find it hilarious that we lost. Yet they've got no comeback to the reality that without salah pool bottled cl final. And for years utd have been fucking dross while spending hundreds of millions and then sacking the manager they were all desperate for. I mean fuck me utd fans now would rather City win league than Liverpool. Sums up how much we've achieved against all odds.

What is frustrating is that we are at out absolute best when we fly out of the traps like we did when we beat Chelsea in pl this season. But we so seldom do it. For me that comes down to pochettino. We are generally a much better side when we are losing vs the big teams. So 9/10 there is clearly something amiss with first half tactics in these kind of critical games.

The problem was the 1st leg.

We had Kane, Son and Alli playing at Wembley. We won 1-0 but the penalty was our only clear shot on goal, a few long shots aside we didn't threaten at all. Gazzaniga kept us in the game with outstanding saves and we had some luck with Chelsea missing clear chances.

The performance was shit on that night. Most of us put it down to tiredness - we'd flogged the same players week after week over Christmas. Yet we had a lead.

We knew Son was going away and would miss tonight. The other two picked up injuries and so did Sissoko who rushed back tonight.

1-0 was not good enough.

The problem was the 1st leg.

We had Kane, Son and Alli playing at Wembley. We won 1-0 but the penalty was our only clear shot on goal, a few long shots aside we didn't threaten at all. Gazzaniga kept us in the game with outstanding saves and we had some luck with Chelsea missing clear chances.

The performance was shit on that night. Most of us put it down to tiredness - we'd flogged the same players week after week over Christmas. Yet we had a lead.

We knew Son was going away and would miss tonight. The other two picked up injuries and so did Sissoko who rushed back tonight.

1-0 was not good enough.

I agree that the score wasn't good enough. Problem for me wasn't application but rather tactics. We set out for a narrow win and that's what we got.

I agree completely, but I think it's down to far more than just Poch.
Agreed. It’s from the boardroom down. And has been for way too long.

Too often it’s a case of “look where we are with a zero net spend”. And not enough consideration of where we would actually be if we had the right level of investment. If we are aiming for first and finish third. Unlucky. If we are aiming for third and finish 4th, then our owners should not be in sport. My concern is that 4th is considered good enough when actually It’s not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom