Would you change anything about how the forum is run?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

it seems there are a small group of people getting yellow and red carded just for posting their opinions.
This isn't true. While sammy is by no means the worst, if you went through all his posts, you've find ones in there that have valid reasons to accept votes for.

eg. Match - Tottenham Hotspur v. Wolverhampton Wanderers: 3pm, Saturday 29th December

Transfers - January 2019 transfer thread

Nothing outrageous but valid all the same. You could probably crawl though anyone's posts on here and find similar though!

With sammy it seems to be his posting style that annoys people. He's relentless in making his point and it can disrupt threads. Gibbs was similar only a lot more extreme.

I do try to be as fair as I can with the system. I get that some people are just passionately discussing Spurs so I'd obviously give that a bit more leeway than "fuck off, nonce". I've deleted votes sammy has received. Eventually though, it gets to the point where I can't ignore the number. It doesn't seem fair on the people voting.

As always, the system is far from perfect but it's what we use here.

How about a recend button which people can use to get someone out of bin?

Interesting idea. I don't dislike it. Not sure how I'd implement it easily though.

How about a recend button which people can use to get someone out of bin? Every time some uses it the time in the bin is cut when the number of recends exceds the number of fouls the poster comes out of the bin.
You will have the same issue with people binning who they don't like but in reverse. Current situation is least bad option imho.

You will have the same issue with people binning who they don't like but in reverse. Current situation is least bad option imho.
Well like the foul button a reason would have to be given, it's continuing the spirit of self modding at least.

I like the system of posters policing the site but it has a fatal flaw, I wasn't totally sure until yesterday when sammyspurs sammyspurs got binned but it seems there are a small group of people getting yellow and red carded just for posting their opinions. This is definitely wrong and doesn't make this forum really much different from other stricter spurs forums and that kind of defeats the purpose of having posters policing each other imo. I haven't been too much involved in intense debate yet but I can definitely see myself getting binned or yellow carded at some stage.

If posters don't like someone's opinions they should either combat it with their own opinions or suck it up and ignore it, fouling someone for it is an abuse of the system and should be stopped.
I think the issue with Sammy sometimes is that he can’t let it go when people have a differing opinion, and it can lead to entire threads being dominated by cyclical ranting. I love the guy but sometimes threads get completely taken over.

I think the issue with Sammy sometimes is that he can’t let it go when people have a differing opinion, and it can lead to entire threads being dominated by cyclical ranting. I love the guy but sometimes threads get completely taken over.
If he not abusing anyone then there is nothing wrong with that. Why should someone let it go, if they believe in the point they are making? That isn't stopping anyone from making posts. Maybe the arguments presented to him aren't effective enough for him to want it let it go.

If he not abusing anyone then there is nothing wrong with that. Why should someone let it go, if they believe in the point they are making? That isn't stopping anyone from making posts. Maybe the arguments presented to him aren't effective enough for him to want it let it go.
It’s hard to explain but I’m sure some around here will know what I’m talking about. Even when a “debate” has been wrapped up, he’ll bring it back up again, and nearly always in a confrontational manner. It just results in pages and pages of back and forth mudslinging. It can get very, very boring and dominates threads. Like I say, a majority of the time I’m a fan of his but he can take over threads.

I am relatively new here still but it seems to me the foul system is fair to a point. It may have been suggested before but perhaps the foul button could come with its own private comment box that only Admin Admin could view. Stating a reason for the vote and quoting any offending comments.

Perhaps very difficult to implement and time consuming to police yourself Case.

Just a thought.

Edit: Maybe it already does? I have never used it.

I am relatively new here still but it seems to me the foul system is fair to a point. It may have been suggested before but perhaps the foul button could come with its own private comment box that only Admin Admin could view. Stating a reason for the vote and quoting any offending comments.

Perhaps very difficult to implement and time consuming to police yourself Case.

Just a thought.

Edit: Maybe it already does? I have never used it.
It does, you have state the reason for the foul.

I think then Admin Admin looks at said vote and the post relating to it and then decides if the vote is valid or not.

At least one person has had their foul privilege suspended for continually voting foul without a valid reason.

I've recently been made a moderator on a boxing forum I use with over 20k members and it's a fecking nightmare to police all the reported threads, posts and members.

With all the 'reports' he must get on here and has to trawl through, Admin Admin is a bloody saint!!

I think then Admin Admin looks at said vote and the post relating to it and then decides if the vote is valid or not.

At least one person has had their foul privilege suspended for continually voting foul without a valid reason.
ok thanks. It s

Oh, thanks for telling me.

Ha, well played Admin Admin

"Donate now or I'll keep reminding you that you should be wearing cardigans and/or dead by now."

Screenshot-20190128-182259-Chrome.jpg
Aren't those ads linked to your search history?

Can’t think of much I’d change. There’s the ‘ignore’ option for the real twats, and a fairly open option for those you can tolerate.

Maybe permanent bans for those who get regular reds.

Can’t think of much I’d change. There’s the ‘ignore’ option for the real twats, and a fairly open option for those you can tolerate.

Maybe permanent bans for those who get regular reds.
I wouldn't have a permanent ban for regular red cards. It would mean someone like Ossie Wembley being banned permanently just for having an unpopular view. That would be totally wrong, I disagree 100% with his view point but he is entitled to his opinion.

I would only have permanent bans for racism, sexism etc.

I think the bans get longer the more you get ?

Would love to run an experiment for a month or so, where you can't see who posted something, and just have to reply judging on the content. Would be interesting to see if the Cunt Offs reduced, and yet threads still made sense.

Although what would probably happen, would be people would end up disagreeing with something the posted 2 hours earlier and end up getting in an argument with themselves.

Back
Top Bottom