Woolwich @ Wembley - 2nd March - 1230KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So when the ball is player forward to an active player who is standing in an offside position - they're not offside if it's a set-piece?

Can't wait for MOTD and tomorrow's papers for the analysis.
It is not the 'set piece' that is pertinent point. Please understand this. It is the fact that there is a mass of players all lined up as a result with some that will be off and some will be on. This would be in effect in other open play situations as well but they are few where you have two players in the same space. In set pieces you ahve a bunch in the same space. In open play that would be a result of poor spacing to have 2 players in the same space. but if you did the same rules and interpretations would be in effect.

And why do you need someone from MOTD or the papers to explain it to you? Folks have posted the interpretations from the FA. Read them for yourself and decide. Most of them don't know the rules and are just becoming acquainted with this due to the situation. Robbie Mustoe on NBC didn't know them and called it OFF first and when the interpretation became publicized on social media he began to backtrack and bend it to fit his initial call. Most folks in football are idiots, make your own mind up.

And why do you need someone from MOTD or the papers to explain it to you?

I'd like to see it in slow motion. Also are we using social media as the final arbiter of what is compliant with the law.

The FA has adjudicated? Has it been posted anywhere?

And I thought I understood the offside rule!

Not sure I agree that "Most folks in football are idiots"

I cannot get up early enough to watch so I recorded it. I did not have time to watch right away, so I browsed the comments here first. From the comments here I thought that we would have to replace the entire team and start over. Felt better when I got around to watching. Thought we bossed the first half, but Woolwich had good defensive play in their end preventing clear chances. Except for that cock up by Sanchez that gifted them a goal, and a couple of excellent saves by their keeper, we would have won.

Sirs (Todd 1882 & Nick "Trevor" Sharp), I bow to your greater knowledge. Just got this from the Mirror site (so assume it's reliable)

9TC78dD.jpg

I must do better (or try and understand the offside rule better). In the old days it was much easier!

Makes the penalty so much sweeter!

However I still don't think that most people in football are idiots.

Please let this be true. I've never stepped foot in Wembley and even from the TV it looks pathetic to play there week in week out.

Should watch your team! Have been some great nights there. Never the same as WHL but when it's rocking like it was in the Dortmund game recently then it's worth it

To me those players out there today looked like they had given up on the season. Out of the title race. Lack of energy. Flat. Looked out of ideas.

Poch should never have said our players are 5-10 years away from winning the title. It was definitely the wrong thing to say. Some of these players wont even be playing football in 5 years time. He basically told these players it’s not even worth being here. Some things are better left unsaid

Also are we using social media as the final arbiter of what is compliant with the law.
Wasn't my point. My point was that the rule interpretation was posted.

The FA has adjudicated? Has it been posted anywhere?
Yeah, like on social media and in this thread. Do keep up.:allitongue:

And I thought I understood the offside rule!
We all make mistakes.

Not sure I agree that "Most folks in football are idiots"
Well, everything's relative. but to be specific I meant all these talking heads and most, almost to a man, of the former players in media. And I would add most of the prominent English journalists, specifically the tabloids, save for the obvious know-somethings (Wilson, Taylor, F365, etc).

Sirs (Todd 1882 & Nick "Trevor" Sharp), I bow to your greater knowledge. Just got this from the Mirror site (so assume it's reliable)

9TC78dD.jpg

I must do better (or try and understand the offside rule better). In the old days it was much easier!

Makes the penalty so much sweeter!

However I still don't think that most people in football are idiots.
Yeah, even still I would say read the interpretaton and make your own mind up. There is still some subjectivity as to when, where, and whether Kane actually becomes active. I have only seen quick replays and can't tell if he begins to attempt a jump before being bowled over. But at least this article gives some insight, I assume. good luck.

To me those players out there today looked like they had given up on the season. Out of the title race. Lack of energy. Flat. Looked out of ideas.

Poch should never have said our players are 5-10 years away from winning the title. It was definitely the wrong thing to say. Some of these players wont even be playing football in 5 years time. He basically told these players it’s not even worth being here. Some things are better left unsaid

It depends if they believe in their abilities and want to stick it to their manager who doesn't think they have the nuts for it.

A real champion after 3 years of hovering around until falling short will know that they need to stick it to the gaffer. I honestly think Dele coming back will lift the first XI in such a big way. To me they look a little heart broken like there is nothing to play for but believe you me with the likes of Woolwich, Man U & Chelsea circling we are a long way from being in hammocks and Birkenstocks. A quarter of a season left, time for a new challenge to see out the remainder of the campaign

It's just how utterly shite Woolwich are that leaves such a bitter taste. Such a massive opportunity missed to give them a real hiding.
So deflating.

Disagree. Right now they are doing well compared to recent seasons for them. The way we are playing it's an opportunity missed for them. Not an ounce of effort shown by any of our players today apart from sissoko. Eriksen was the most guilty of it.

But surely the instant the ball was played forward all the Spurs players (about three of them) lined up along the box were offside. They can't take a swing at it as the ball is 3m in the air. It's close to them so they are active.
Active, in terms of offside, is defined as playing (or attempting to play) the ball.

If you don't kick the ball you're not offside, even if you were in an offside position when the ball was passed.

Yup, but only because I did not agree with your point.:pochlol: You say hope but not expectation. I'd say that you are playing silly buggers with semantics.

Semantics? Maybe.... For the sake of it, given the backdrop of the broader attitudes towards these things here and beyond? Absolutely not. It's an entire necessary distinction to be made... In the context of a fan, I'd say "expectation" is far more so leaning towards 'entitlement' than "hope"

Maybe I just think about these things more on the basis that you've subsequently chosen to debate me... ?

No transfer is guaranteed to work out so therefore everyone one carries within some degree of risk that it won't. Therefore all transfers would entail some degree of hope. But the crucial point you are not conceding is the fact that at some point, some relative threshold of money for each respective team, that mere hope becomes expectation.

I would say that for each of our record transfers there was a significant level of expectation of success. If you don't have a expectation of a certain level of success then how do you gauge market value and ROI. It's not just amortized transfer fee and years left of contract. Though considering our recent xfer success Levy might still be working here.

I could even argue that the switch from 'hope' to expectation occurs at exactly the point where a team decides to part with its money and consummate the deal. I mean, who in their right mind decides to do a deal without the expectation of success

I've not neglect to think about the things you mention, I just don't think that from our limited outside perspective that we as fans are sufficiently informed to justify genuine "expectations" upon the purchase of what is a less than finite/tangible 'item' (player) that attracts a highly volatile notion of price and value... Least of all when signing a young player with a view of the next 10 years, not him being the finished article at 22 y/o.

Those actually accountable for that £40m spend will have a far more informed view of what can rightfully be expected of this or any other deal; i.e. what any potential risk/reward actually means and the sense of VALUE any upside would bring...

I doubt we have an abundance of risk assessors and stock brokers etc. in the TFC midst so we can all afford to be a bit humble about these subjects. All we have at our disposal amounts to little more than: "Cor! Check that out, fellow yid... Our new CB just cost £40m... He should prove tasty... Yeh, but such and such down the road got X for less... Ahh, but he's shit now..... [Ad lid]".

Maybe, I'm wrong, but it seemed to me the critique from yourself and a couple of others was on the basis of "we paid too much" for Dav without knowing what we have truly bought yet... (From the general tone of things today one would be forgiven for thinking he's been an absolute car crash for the last 2 years.... Far from it!)

Honestly, if any of us here can conjur a universally convincing argument of what £40m means or is truly worth in this game and time... Well, by all means fill yer boots... I don't fancy myself as that much of an expert, personally.

And what type would that be? I hope you don't think I gave a petty retributive 'disagree' because we are having a little amicable debate. If so then no I am not that type. I gave a disagree becasue I truly disagreed and put it out there knowing I would be able to address it in a response.

The type you explain yourself not be be.... Like I say, I didn't have you down us such, but you came accross as petty ("semantic" almost?) and still do when you subsequently call ME out for "semantics" even tho you don't seem to have much of an end-point to your interjections yourself.... Besides linguistics (i.e. requesting I define "blinkered" etc.).

..."Blinkered" needn't be an insult, if one is humble enough to think about what's being discussed.

So, coming full circle.... Are you ultimately contesting that in fact the market does have a clear sense of value attached to it, that prices aren't distorted and prone to erratic market forces, and don't retain much broader meaning from one window to the next? ....You don't believe fans and their arm-chair perspectives aren't left "blinkered" by a lack of proper insight?

Good for you. Maybe you're a genuine expert... Maybe you are just great at computer games like FM... Lucky for you, I'll never know the truth.

So yeh... Back to kebabs & chicken dippers, FFS! : P

It depends if they believe in their abilities and want to stick it to their manager who doesn't think they have the nuts for it.

A real champion after 3 years of hovering around until falling short will know that they need to stick it to the gaffer. I honestly think Dele coming back will lift the first XI in such a big way. To me they look a little heart broken like there is nothing to play for but believe you me with the likes of Woolwich, Man U & Chelsea circling we are a long way from being in hammocks and Birkenstocks. A quarter of a season left, time for a new challenge to see out the remainder of the campaign

There was no trophies to play for weeks ago. Then we won 3 in a row in the league, beat Dortmund after a great performance. All of this without Kane and Dele. So what happened. What has been lacking is our focus and effort. Maybe even our confidence. Maybe it's just a coincidence Kane came back and it's disrupted us a bit as he isn't fit. Sonny seems to have dropped a level as all of a sudden he isn't the main man. Everyone seems to dropped a level since Burnley away

Disagree. Right now they are doing well compared to recent seasons for them. The way we are playing it's an opportunity missed for them. Not an ounce of effort shown by any of our players today apart from sissoko. Eriksen was the most guilty of it.
Mate they're still utter gash. If that was any of the other top 6 they played today they get pummelled.
And not an ounce of effort, really? Nonsense. This was a much better performance than both Burnley and the Chavs.

Back
Top Bottom