Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

£25m Aurier
£25m Lucas
£30m Sissoko
£20m Janssen
£10m Llorente
£10m Nkoudou
£40m Sanchez
£160m in total for a group that hasn't penetrated our strongest XI when fully fit.

c£75m gave us a team of Lloris, Trippier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Dier, Winks, Eriksen, Dele, Son, Kane, all of which we are still able to field present day who many would argue when fully fit is close to our strongest XI.
You need to take inflation into account too, we signed Lloris in 2012 prices were VERY different back then.

And again won nothing.
Imagine what we could achieve if we had actually spent something.
Janssen
Llorente
Nkoudou
Njie

Poch basically binned off 70M worth of attackers. I thought he was the greatest coach everrrrrrrr and could train anyone.

Oh but that’s right, we should just spend more and hope the manager gives them more than 4 minutes every nine weeks

You need to take inflation into account too, we signed Lloris in 2012 prices were VERY different back then.

If anything inflation only reaffirms my point though mate.

If we have a quality £10m goalkeeper, an able £3.5m RB, 2 CBs that cost c£20m£22m combined and to improve the first XI we'd have to pay c£60m which is an astronomical inflation then why not stick with what you've got knowing it has the required quality to hit our initial objectives and targets set out and just see how the market is and settles when the need is more urgent?

Markets don't always continue to boom, they do dip and occasionally crash so at a time when there's been one of the biggest spikes in this particular industry if you have a quality team put together with barely £75m back then and all are still contracted to your club why throw money that would equate to the same kind of outlay because it's seen as being ambitious by those outside of the club?

It's risk/ reward of course and inflation does come into the equation yes but if you're happy in your house but open to a move yet the market is mental, why show urgency in a move at the expense of financial sensibility? Sometimes not making a deal is the best deal to be had.

I just never understand what is implied when you or anyone brings up players we have spent money on that haven't set the world alight. This happens, some signings work out, some don't, that doesn't mean you just give up on spending money.

Again, I never said give up spending but I also refuse to act like Woolwich fans have done for the past few years by coming to the conclusion that you buy players and that is the be all and end all.
It has to be the right layer and right player only. Just signing players because it's what you have to do is not what we are.
I'm sure everyone would have thrown a party if we signed Pogba for 90m last season?

To be fair I don't think Ndombele was available to anyone other than Lyon last summer, he was on loan with them the season prior, that 7 mil would of been already agreed.

He still still a player that slipped through our radar for the loan and agreed upon £7m. If you were chairman of a football club would you ask the question why he slipped through the net regardless of pre-agreed of fixed prices? I know I would and that it would be one of the first things I'd ask to ensure it doesn't happen again. Why did we choose not to loan him when Lyon did? Why was that seen as a poor deal to be had when 2 seasons later we want to smash our transfer record on him etc

Funny how Son is always left off the list of players signed for big money, and that 18 mil we spent on Modric in 08 which would be huge money now. But yeah spending money = flops because we spent 42 mil on Sanchez who could still go on to being a top player for us.

Talking of the Scum... I assume their alleged interest in Zaha would confirm that Aub-whatever is off and Lacazette is the main man?

40m ain't gonna stretch to Wilfy by itself....

Back
Top Bottom