Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Spending doesn't equal success. It's a disadvantage in lots of ways. Pep is doing amazingly well considering all the down sides it brings. Also they have to contend with paying big fees, most of our best signings have been cheap ones. Not to mention they all know city are rich so they up the price.

:pochcmon:

Why are you so obsessed with transfer fees and record signings?
Ironic coming from a poster who's posting history all but exclusively comprises moaning about lack of spending and wanting better players.

1b2.gif

I don't agree.

Players do not go to a club for the size of their signing on fee. It's what honours they can win, their teamates and the size and length of the package after tax and what scams the club can pull to avoid paying that tax.

Guardiola can offer whatever an agent asks without batting an eyelid knowing that there is a bottomless pit of money. Add into that a phalanx of the best lawyers that money can buy to tie UEFA's lawyers in knots.

He's landed at a club where he can buy any player he wants and lots of others that he'll buy to deprive other clubs of their services. Mahrez anyone?

I have absolutely zero respect for him (obviously in my opinion!)

Didn't Man U give Mourinho more than Guardiola got at Man City? I definitely think Guardiola warrants a bit of respect for what he's done when a decade of previous Man City manager appointments never got anywhere near where he has for consistency and overall play.

As for the signing on bonuses it's hard to say if they pay mental money or not. They missed out on Jorginho who opted for Chelsea and Alexis Sanchez because they refused to pay the same as Man U did so it's hard to judge what goes on behind the scenes there even if face value tells us otherwise.

He has definitely taken Sterlings game up a notch and he did take punts on less recognised players globally such as Bernardo Silva even if the prices were pretty high.

Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U have transfer records higher than that of any Man City player signed. The money helps but he's still managed the egos that go along with price tags and money well and he's picked his targets pretty astutely. He's no god send but he's a pretty shit hot manager even if he hasn't worked his way up from the bottom like some of the others have.

This thread is 90% shit and I quote what some dude with a cousin working for psg tells me and I’m a cunt :adethumbup:

Maybe a should spend my posting on calling users nonces or to kill them selves
Don’t forget cancer......calling someone cancer is “not vile and disgusting.”
It’s “different” if you don’t say it to a child.

As for your source, say it was the tea lady.
Always say it was the tea lady.

Seems some of your fans didn't get the 'joke' either judging by the rep you received... Speaks volumes compared to whether i find you funny or not John. :)
Scott just came out and said spending big is dangerous and detrimental and doesn’t mean success.

Can’t wait for this to kick off......it’s going to be emotional. They were like father and son

Didn't Man U give Mourinho more than Guardiola got at Man City? I definitely think Guardiola warrants a bit of respect for what he's done when a decade of previous Man City manager appointments never got anywhere near where he has for consistency and overall play.

As for the signing on bonuses it's hard to say if they pay mental money or not. They missed out on Jorginho who opted for Chelsea and Alexis Sanchez because they refused to pay the same as Man U did so it's hard to judge what goes on behind the scenes there even if face value tells us otherwise.

He has definitely taken Sterlings game up a notch and he did take punts on less recognised players globally such as Bernardo Silva even if the prices were pretty high.

Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U have transfer records higher than that of any Man City player signed. The money helps but he's still managed the egos that go along with price tags and money well and he's picked his targets pretty astutely. He's no god send but he's a pretty shit hot manager even if he hasn't worked his way up from the bottom like some of the others have.

That's easy, Guardiola didn't fancy Jorghino or Sanchez. If he wanted (and the authorities allowed it), he could buy both.

Sterling is a good case in point. Has he improved because of Guardiola's coaching skills, or is it because he has Aguero, de Bruyne, Fernandinho, Jesus. Mane and the Silvas playing with him? We'll never know but I know what my answer is.

Pellegrini, who also had access to Guardiola's bottomless pit of money, won the PL and a couple of cups in his three years at City. He's hardly pulling up trees at West Ham when his transfer budget is a fraction and no ambitious player will go there because they know they'll win nothing. OK he's only been there a year but I don't anticipate them winning anything in the near future.

Let Guardiola go up the road to Burnley and win competitions on their budget. I'd have a lot more respect for him if he could.

I don’t know what I want to see more.

1. The state of this thread if we announce our four main targets all in the same day tomorrow.

2. The state of this thread if we sign no one.

:sonhmm:

That's easy, Guardiola didn't fancy Jorghino or Sanchez. If he wanted (and the authorities allowed it), he could buy both.

Sterling is a good case in point. Has he improved because of Guardiola's coaching skills, or is it because he has Aguero, de Bruyne, Fernandinho, Jesus. Mane and the Silvas playing with him? We'll never know but I know what my answer is.

Pellegrini, who also had access to Guardiola's bottomless pit of money, won the PL and a couple of cups in his three years at City. He's hardly pulling up trees at West Ham when his transfer budget is a fraction and no ambitious player will go there because they know they'll win nothing. OK he's only been there a year but I don't anticipate them winning anything in the near future.

Let Guardiola go up the road to Burnley and win competitions on their budget. I'd have a lot more respect for him if he could.

I'm pretty sure Guardiola wanted both Alexis Sanchez and Jorginho otherwise Man City wouldn't have been in for them but that's my opinion on it mate.

If I look at Pelliegrinis Man City and Guardiolas it's chalk and cheese. He hasn't worked his way from the bottom up so he'll always have at question mark over him but based on his playing style and how he's judged his talent coming in (Ederson for all of their money is one of the best Premier League buys over the last 5-10'years for the £35m odd or whatever it was money paid) and to my knowledge his Man City team are the only ones to break the 100 point mark in Premier League history, not even Ferguson achieved that. The two highest points totals ever achieved in English football have been achieved in 2 of Guardiolas 3 seasons.

Money or not they still sit 4th in record transfer fees paid per individual player and he does so playing some unbelievable football all without the two best footballers in the world.

I see why people have no respect for him but he has done a top job even with all the resources he has. I don't know if many could get the points he has in such a competitive league and do so without breaking the £60m region per player, unearthing players like Ederson, developing a few further and playing such beautiful football. I don't like him but I do think he's a top level manager even if he'll never manage at the likes of Burnley as you've suggested mate.

If that's the case then Levy has every right as a businessman to do so. If we genuinely have a free run at him and there is no potential bidding war Levy is 100% in the right to hold firm in the best interests of the club.

People were screaming for us to sign Kovacic last summer for £50m and he fell flat on his face in the Premier League. There's no reason to think Ndombele may not do the same so to try and not negotiate the best possible deal would be insane for such a shrewd chairman. A lesser price tag would also see Ndombele come in with less pressure on his shoulders as well. All positive things for THFC (unless of course we get gazumped which is always the risk)

I don’t think Kovacic was that bad, especially for his first season in English football. We’d have been better off with him in midfield than Sissoko, Alli or Dier.

Helped Chelsea finish above us and knock us out of a semi.

Compare his performance in Chelsea’s Europa win, where he had a really good game to the debacle that was Sissoko who spent the entirety of our CL final fucking pointing in random directions.

I don’t know what I want to see more.

1. The state of this thread if we announce our four main targets all in the same day tomorrow.

2. The state of this thread if we sign no one.

:sonhmm:

My love of Spurs prevails, but I'm must admit i'm inceasingly fucking curious to look inside box #2. :kanegoal:

p.s. Josh be sure to let me know if any of the melts find your post funny. :allitongue:

I don’t think Kovacic was that bad, especially for his first season in English football. We’d have been better off with him in midfield than Sissoko, Alli or Dier.

Helped Chelsea finish above us and knock us out of a semi.

Compare his performance in Chelsea’s Europa win, where he had a really good game to the debacle that was Sissoko who spent the entirety of our CL final fucking pointing in random directions.

I saw next to nothing to suggest that Kovacic was a £50m player. A few nice touches but he weren't all that. I do think if our injuries weren't as crippling we'd have comfortably secured 3rd and probably done them in that semi. No Son or Kane for that game at Stamford Bridge was a hammer blow, as was most of our season not having a genuine home game but I get what you're saying. Still underwhelmed for me.

Sissoko for player of the season 19/20 BC? ;)

Back
Top Bottom