Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

True elite clubs buy elite players but financially we aren't an elite club yet. We have the 6ft largest fan base of all the Premier League clubs and up until 4 months ago we had the the 8th-10th biggest capacity of any Premier League stadium I believe.

I know social media is iffy to use as a barometer but it's the easiest to access as a benchmark so I'll use it. We have 3.4m followers on Twitter, less then Elneny at Woolwich has which shows we can't be compared with Liverpool and City and how they conduct their business.

We need to invest in better scouting methods instead of try and financially throw it about like teams that are bigger that have nowhere near as much debt as we do. We are closer in size and stature to Everton and Newcastle but we have the chance to change that over time. Infrastructure wise we have surpassed them but that £600m or so needs to get paid back. It's an exciting time but Pochettino can't expect the same from our club as Klopp can of Liverpool, a team that has just surpassed Barcelona in European Championships won.

I don’t think he will get more than Liverpool who spent net £150m last season, we will sell and Eriksen could be gone but give the ability of say Ndombele, if we can get him for the reported £63m or less we are in this market looking at a bargain.

Our current model will probably be good enough for top 4 most seasons but not much further. Bluntly Poch could manage an elite club and we have to find some model to be that or risk losing him. If we are to do it on the cheap then our scouts need to do better than Nije, Nkouduo and Janssen and this is probably why Poch looks to be turning to more expensive flavours even with Sanchez who has the makings of a top top CB.

I'm afraid you're the one all over the place.

Far from it...

This all started cos you contradicted FACTS I stated about Barkley.... Yet you went on to move the goalposts claiming you were just making a general point and brought up De Ligt to Juve.

Incoherent and factually flawed, you were.

I'm not advocating sacking the manager - never have - there, I've answered your question directly.

It was a question, not an insinuation. (You're now crossing strains of our discussion.... That's ok, I can unravel it all, but realise YOUR apparent coherency suffers as a result).

The scouts provide options as prompted by the manager, the manager says yes/no and the chairman stumps up the funds to buy and pay the player.

It's not impossible that Poch is turning everyone down cos he doesn't believe in their mentality, chakras or what their legs look like.....

I'm urging you to entertain that 'what if' and asking what your stance would be in that scenario?

Blaming Levy or some faceless scout is easy.... Applying the same militant attitude towards our beloved Poch; not so much....

If the scouting network is not providing options then they need sacking or replacing or reorganising. If the chairman is not furnishing the manager with the funds to buy the players he needs then the manager or chairman needs to go.

Like I noted, what if they are?

Again, I note Poch receives no scrutiny in your pondering...

Bidding £20m for a £40m player will not work. He'll go to Everton or Leicester.

Huh? What? Who? Why?

Is the quietness not having an affect on you?

No.... ITK is bollocks and the media trade on guess-work, rumour and shit stirring... Deals will happen when they happen. Fretting on the internet will speed nothing up.

(Happy to concede it's fun playing detective, tho. :) )

This is why I get so irritated by the incessant melty nayayers like Notabadsquad & Incomplete_usernam Incomplete_usernam

2 windows without signings doesn't mean we'll never sign anyone again... Some will go to great length to paint this picture tho. ...Putting actual energy into predicting doom and bringing the mood of the supporter-base down (In the meanwhile, fuck all EPL clubs have done any notworthy deals either) - What's the fucking point?

Just reading todays papers ( old school ) and see that Shity are not only spending 60 million on a midfielder they don’t need but also buying Maguire for an 80 million world record fee. Assuming these deals come true how on earth do you compete with a whole country bankrolling a team ?
Spending doesn't equal success. It's a disadvantage in lots of ways. Pep is doing amazingly well considering all the down sides it brings. Also they have to contend with paying big fees, most of our best signings have been cheap ones. Not to mention they all know city are rich so they up the price.

On the last point Toby was a steal, we all knew most likely we where getting an absolute bargain, Nije I had no clue what to expect.

70m is a huge amount but so is a 100m from a CL run, money in and out in modern football is insane, even bloody West Ham spent net over 80m last season without any European football and could spend a lot again.

Agreed it's insane.

Other teams: Whatever they spend has little bearing on what cash we hold or what we can or can't afford to finance.....

WH: We too could have moved to Stratford instead and bought some mid-table players that made little difference to them over the course of a season.... I'm guessing that doesn't sound quite so enviable once you break it down?

Last edited:
I don’t think he will get more than Liverpool who spent net £150m last season, we will sell and Eriksen could be gone but give the ability of say Ndombele, if we can get him for the reported £63m or less we are in this market looking at a bargain.

Our current model will probably be good enough for top 4 most seasons but not much further. Bluntly Poch could manage an elite club and we have to find some model to be that or risk losing him. If we are to do it on the cheap then our scouts need to do better than Nije, Nkouduo and Janssen and this is probably why Poch looks to be turning to more expensive flavours even with Sanchez who has the makings of a top top CB.

You're right Poch probably could manage at an elite club but he has it pretty sweet with us even if people don't make that out to be the case.

He does well he's a genuis with restricted funds, if it all goes pear shaped he can say if only I had the funds. He's excellent at PR and if the time comes where we can't satisfy his aspirations as manager we have to cross that bridge when we get to that stage.

Poch needs to understand that we have the largest debt in football at present and that will come with restrictions. If he stays great but the club won't alter how it functions and I highly doubt we will see a shift to a model that sees us spend more than we generate. I'm reasonably content with us pushing to be top 2-4 for the next few seasons, our debt unfortunately matters more at present than our trophy haul does and Uncle Joe has never been one to treat the club as a hobby of his.

We punch above our weight at present, we should enjoy doing so as it won't last forever. Hopefully we continue to do so for so long that it's no longer deemed as punching above our weight and we can them take things to a higher level which will probably occur once all debts are wiped and we compete with the structures associated with a top 1-3 club like we seemingly have with a 62,000 seater stadium. Stricter FFP rules would be a god send to us IMO

Spending doesn't equal success. It's a disadvantage in lots of ways. Pep is doing amazingly well considering all the down sides it brings. Also they have to contend with paying big fees, most of our best signings have been cheap ones. Not to mention they all know city are rich so they up the price.

All that money yet they have never spent more than in the £60m figure for a player when a few in our league have spend £70m, £80m even £90m and other clubs have smashed through the £100m mark.

Guardiola deserves far more respect balancing ego with finance than he gets in my opinion, I make you right in that sense Scott.

For 70m each neither come without risk.

ND: Ligue 1 is a bit suspect... Aurier, JGK, N'Jie have all struggled.

GLC: Ditched by PSG. Betis finished 10th.

What's worse losing 5m on GKN or 40m on GLC?
uid_23e8ff00deb218e510b4b687ecac3cce1555700734347_width_1137_play_0_pos_0_gs_0_height_602.jpg

All that money yet they have never spent more than in the £60m figure for a player when a few in our league have spend £70m, £80m even £90m and other clubs have smashed through the £100m mark.

Guardiola deserves far more respect balancing ego with finance than he gets in my opinion, I make you right in that sense Scott.

To a point, but I suspect he'd not bat an eyelid paying more if it meant getting 'his' man (the financial caution likely comes from upstairs)....

That said when you look at their starting XI you make a fair point (regardless of which individuals deserve the credit), however the cost of their bench (in terms of fees AND wages combined) most weeks is eye watering.....

This is where City have everyone by the balls; no-one can afford their kind of depth.

Look at Liverpool last season... Lose a RB; wins become draws and their 10 point lead dissapears. Title LOST.

This is why our lack of depth is sensationalised IMO.... Season-long mass injury crisis yet still get P4 & CL final.... Beating City & Ajax with the likes of 'Broken Wanyama' & the commonly ridiculed Llorente in the mix.

Last edited:

Healthy balance if possible for me....

In the case of this window; I'm all in for Ndombele. Equally, I'm frustrated that the young prospects appear to by drying up when I thought/hoped that CL regularity would make us even more appealing on that front rather than such players ending up at the usual suspects like, BVB, Lyon, Monaco, Leicester(*)...

(*Quandry is they can offer starting roles and weaker leagues to grow in rather than merely an opportunity to be cautiously coached by a sexy Argentinian.)

You do need to spend as a chairman yes but a manager who (speculatively) didn't idenfity 2 players when they were valued at £32m who is (speculatively) asking for them now at a rumoured £140m should equally be open to such questioning if it seems in the best interests of the club which it definitely would be seeing as the club could have saved nearly £110m on both individuals a year or so ago.

10000%

People acting like we have a DoF who signs players (or don’t) without the involvement of the manager.

Oh fucking hell just froze over

I don't agree.

Players do not go to a club for the size of their signing on fee. It's what honours they can win, their teamates and the size and length of the package after tax and what scams the club can pull to avoid paying that tax.

Guardiola can offer whatever an agent asks without batting an eyelid knowing that there is a bottomless pit of money. Add into that a phalanx of the best lawyers that money can buy to tie UEFA's lawyers in knots.

He's landed at a club where he can buy any player he wants and lots of others that he'll buy to deprive other clubs of their services. Mahrez anyone?

I have absolutely zero respect for him (obviously in my opinion!)

Back
Top Bottom