Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

From a pure football point of view; no doubt.

Allegedly he pledged a 50m (+ sales) trf budget... Rafa wanted more, but Ashley wants some of his money back (via TV income pressumably).... What can you do? (It's what we hope happens to Chavs & Roman at some point).

Just heard mention that he wanted to take over the whole recruitment process too.

Mike Ashley needs to look at risk/ reward though. He may have stood firm on it all but he's also stuck to his guns so much so that it's left him and the club with Garry Monk installed as the bookies favourites. Garry Monk as manager or Benitez in charge of the whole recruitment process? I know what I'd prefer but it is early and speculative days

Pre-season starts in a couple of weeks. For the manager and squad it's a time for tactics/formation changes/new ideas and drills as well as fitness.

It's vital that all players have a full pre-season (no Euros or World Cup to get in the way) and the squad doesn't need a couple of strangers dropped in a week before we play Villa.

Yes, I know that, but this rarely happens and barring maybe Ndombele, we usually have outs before ins.

I don't think we'll have too many outs until the players meet with the coaching staff after their holidays...and therefore not many ins until then either (sadly).

There's no way Levy is drastically changing his transfer M.O. now

Erik Lamela. 4 year contract on £70k odd a week?

Signed 2013 for £30m.

Surely Grealish/Barkley/Kovacic money?

Not sure of your point....

But Kovacic was mooted a 60m player (yet not for sale; hense loan) last summer; AV wanted upwards of 30 for JG and Barkley was signed injured and still get's bigger wages than EL (prior to his injury he was a mooted 50m player).

Last edited:
Most of our apparent targets are either away on international duty or have other interest from bigger clubs who can offer bigger wages and greater opportunity to win things. I'm pretty calm about it but if they don't come off we have to take it on the chin that plan B and C options may have taken up offers elsewhere.

With players such as Ndombele, Lo Celso, Ceballos, Rabiot, Berge, Partey, Diawara, Sessegnon, Bergwijn, Clarke, Atal, Aarons, Joachim Andersen and Andre Gomes etc all still to tie up moves elsewhere though I do think there's enough quality options out there for me to be relatively chill about it all at present. There hasn't been a lot of Premier League signings across the whole league this summer so far so overall I think it's all good with 6 weeks + left to tell the truth mate
I hope you're right. Personally I'd like the squad together for a full pre-season. I don't know when ours is but 1 July seems to be a good assembly date.

That's next week.

Not sure of your point....

But Kovacic was mooted a 60m player (yet not for sale; hense loan) last summer; AV wanted upwards of 30 for JG and Barkley was signed signed injured and still get's bigger wages than EL.
We baulk at Barkley because of his 'injury prone-ness' and yet endure Lamela for years.

£30m was his 2013 price. Probably closer to £60m in today's market.

Mike Ashley needs to look at risk/ reward though. He may have stood firm on it all but he's also stuck to his guns so much so that it's left him and the club with Garry Monk installed as the bookies favourites. Garry Monk as manager or Benitez in charge of the whole recruitment process? I know what I'd prefer but it is early and speculative days

I agree, but ultimately Ashley wants out...

He's been playing this game for years now.... Can't find a buyer even as an EPL team. His pricetag resonates differently when they were in the champo, but I cant see that they're not a worthy investment as an EPL team....

They get 50k most weeks... If a new owner can free up their TV money for players, on spec, surely that's a top 8 team in the offing?

Last edited:
I hope you're right. Personally I'd like the squad together for a full pre-season. I don't know when ours is but 1 July seems to be a good assembly date.

That's next week.

That's the same for most clubs yet most haven't conducted any business yet let alone all of their business.

The window closes before the season starts now as it was seen as important for focus. The automatic shift will be for people tomwant business done before pre-season for the very same reason. Most of our apparent targets are on international duty and our season only finished 2-3 weeks ago so it's still very early days.

In an ideal world we'd have it done early but fear of loss plays a huge part in the wheeling and dealing from the sellers, buyers and players side. At the moment there's no fear of loss as the window is still large and living. Things will speed up abcorss the board with 2-3 weeks left it's the nature of the beast and one we and all clubs have to respect even if it isn't utopia or ideal.

We're short on midfield numbers.

So yes, pretty much anyone who can lace a boot. Brighton have signed some Portsmouth lad!

Clearly, I'm exaggerating here to make a point! What are our scouts up to? (on holiday?)

Thing is we could have recalled Onomah (whom you mentioned), we also had Skipp (who barely got a sniff) so obv. Poch had grander designs.

We baulk at Barkley because of his 'injury prone-ness' and yet endure Lamela for years.

£30m was his 2013 price. Probably closer to £60m in today's market.

So you're happy to sign injured players for 30m in old money cos Lamela (who was already on the books and looking a bit more settled when we renewed his deal)?

Once again, not sure about this injury thing. Barkley signed for Chelsea early January and made his debut three weeks later. Any injury he then suffered may not have happened if he were playing for us. It’s all a bit Sliding Doors.
He got injured in the summer window with his price tag at 30m
He then took til the January window to recover which his price tag was reduced to 15m

He then opted for Chelsea

How much we were still in for him after his injury only management knows but he was still an Everton player when he injured himself

That's the same for most clubs yet most haven't conducted any business yet let alone all of their business.

Agreed. But they all did business in the summer 18 TW and some bought players in January 19.

We didn't. We're short on numbers as well as our 'preferred targets', and replacements.

Surely something by now is not too much to ask? Or are we going to spend August getting the players to learn each others names?

Last edited:
I think if we're still fannying about by mid july then we should be worried about a lack of potential signings - we're still pretty early in the process. I know its not accurate but a quick scan of BBc transfers and last year most of the movement was late June and early july.

grasping+at+straws.jpg

Back
Top Bottom