Poch sacked

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'll preface my post echoing what others have said about it feeling sad even if it's what some of us had hoped for. I'll forever be grateful to Poch for the last 5 years and especially that night in Amsterdam. That being said however, I think a large part of our fan base get too wrapped up with individual people. Ultimately, we are Tottenham Hotspur football club and we will always be bigger than one person.

Poch has delivered some great moments over his 5 years but unfortunately nothing tangible (silverware). Yes, he has worked on a smaller budget than some clubs but I don't think he's been completely screwed over by Levy. He inherited some very, very good players, has bought some good ones but also overseen purchases of a lot of rubbish. He also has a management style that'll work wonders with young, hungry players and that is something we are not seeing the benefits of anymore, Harry Kane's pressing being a perfect example of this as well as Dele and Eriksen's regression over the past 12 months. We talk about an ageing squad in need of an overhaul but we're not a squad full of players in their mid-thirties, we're seeing serious burnout or lack of commitment from players that should be in their peak in their late-twenties. Why? Poch's infamous double training? Not being smart when it comes to our players playing for their countries?

A squad with a core of Lloris, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Toby, N'Dombele, Dele, Eriksen, Son, Lucas and Kane should not be averaging 1 point per game over 25 games with no away win in 10-11 months. That's simply not acceptable for players and a manager that are all earning £80k+ per week. It would be slightly different if performances were good but we've just been outplayed by a newly promoted Sheffield United at home ffs. Something has to change unfortunately and it's a lot easier and cheaper to switch manager.

My final point is just because Poch is the best I've seen in my lifetime doesn't make him invincible in the role and we should always be prepared to upgrade if results are not good enough. We as fans should be willing to say thanks to Poch for taking us to a new level but we need someone else that has a plan B in matches and that is going to stop us leaking goals when we score first to take us to an even higher level. Improvement can be continual, let's not just accept something because we feel a bit of gratitude to the bloke as after all, he would've been off if we had won the CL final (despite claiming he wanted to build a Wenger style legacy at Spurs).
Fuck off with your eulogies. I’ve never read so much fucking shit in my life. You’re a cunt and I hate the fact you’ve stuck on to Spurs like the great big stupid leech you are. No one needs these kind of ‘look at me, I’m so remorseful’ shit posts. You wanted the cunt out, so please don’t wallow in pretend concern. Just have the bollocks to say he was a cunt and you’re glad he’s gone. You don’t get it both ways you fucking cunt. I nearly threw up reading your mealy mouthed, damned with faint praise, apology for a post - with all the little digs thrown in on the backwash. You’re a slimy cunt Borks - and you can have this Spurs. If you’re a typical fan then we’re fucked beyond all recognition.

Press foul - give your reasons and then have more cake.

Last edited:
How long do you think he'd last at RM with the sort of tactical display he's been laying on for us?

Get real.

*thinky made a joke

I’m sure Real Madrid haven’t got a clue what they are doing and would employ him without realising just how bad he is..
that’s probably why they haven’t won anything in the past..
I’m sure you know more about managers than they do..

First of all, let’s acknowledge that Poch took over a squad in crisis and elevated them to regular top 4 and a champions league final

Where did to go wrong?
Poch’s system was predictable and very demanding on the squads fitness. We saw some excellent performances; but we also saw what happened when the squad go tired. There was no ‘2nd system’. By February the squad had burnt out. We had lost the elegance of Mousa in midfield, Kane got injured and our older players were exhausted.

But Poch did wonders with our youth players right?
The myth that Poch was able to develop younger players seems disproven. Jannsen, GKN were pretty much disregarded by Poch and never given a chance. – Sanchez and Alli have gone backwards under Poch, Bentaleb and Mason; who were an excellent partnership under Sherwood were disregarded by Poch. The only players from our youth team that have come into the squad over his tenure are Skipp, KWP (barely any playing time) and Winks. Kane of course is the stand out. Brought in under Sherwood and shined under Poch.

But we didn’t buy any players for 2 transfer windows!
And Man City only brought 1; who barely played.

Should Poch have been given more time?
Had we not made top 4 he would have been gone in the summer. Had we not made the ECL final I also suspect he would have been gone in the summer. Its clear that he was given extra time to put things right after the summer window where we spent 170m on players. Clearly those targets were not met and this international break was probably the deadline.

Its clear that Poch could not get the best out of the squad at his disposal. It’s a lot easier to change the coach than change the 30 or so players in the squad.

Mourinho?
Well, he has attended a number of Spurs games this season. This leads me to believe that Poch knew the writing was on the wall after the summer and was fighting to save his job.

If he is coming in, he will have identified 1 or 2 players that he wants. It makes me wonder if Dybala was on his list. (just as Liverpool signed Firmino before Klopp arrived – get me this player and I will join).

Ronaldo seems unhappy at Juventus, get it done Levy
Ok, one step at a time!!
Mason had a career ending injury you plum.

Now I come to think of it; I posted a couple of weeks ago how I was told that Levy and Van Der Vaart were in talks about him joining the staff at Spurs.

Makes me wonder now if Levy has been building the new troops behind the scenes.

Mourinho head coach with Mason, VDV on his coaching staff. Spurs fan's wet dream right?

I’m done. People can call me a cunt (and no doubt they will) but I’ve been falling out of love with this football club for a while now. It’s not what I remember and it’s not what I like. Welcoming Mourinho? Well, you can fuck that. It’s such a shame we’ve turned into this. Bye bye Spurs. You’ve been an inspiration since I was 8, but I’ve never felt more let down. There used to be a football club over there.

I don't know how, but I only just found out. I'm lost for words, can't quite believe it honestly.

I hate this. This is not what I wanted. And I absolutely don't want Mourinho. This is a really bad step for the club to take at this point.

Fucking hell, man. How did it come to this..

Will you still be hysterically denouncing this decision if Dele and Eriksen are now used as out and out AMs and start to play as well as they can, behind Kane?

As one example of what a new manager might do to actually IMPROVE this team.

Too many people reacting as if we sacked Poch in his prime. We didn’t, we waited far too long as a big club. Now we are acting like one.

Move on with optimism ffs.
Seems like the clappers have now become the negative doom mongers they were talking about so often...

:avbshit:

I’m done. People can call me a cunt (and no doubt they will) but I’ve been falling out of love with this football club for a while now. It’s not what I remember and it’s not what I like. Welcoming Mourinho? Well, you can fuck that. It’s such a shame we’ve turned into this. Bye bye Spurs. You’ve been an inspiration since I was 8, but I’ve never felt more let down. There used to be a football club over there.
Im sure you'll be sorely missed Chuckles. Lol

I still love them but , yup , it’s not as important to me as it was . Football has become something that’s harder to relate to. Fairytale wages , trigger happy directors , astronomical prices & tv turning every tiny thing into a soap opera .

There’s a lot more to life than 11 millionaires kicking a ball about.

I still love them but , yup , it’s not as important to me as it was . Football has become something that’s harder to relate to. Fairytale wages , trigger happy directors , astronomical prices & tv turning every tiny thing into a soap opera .

There’s a lot more to life than 11 millionaires kicking a ball about.
I’m 54 + it hurts more now when we lose than when I was a kid!

I’m 54 + it hurts more now when we lose than when I was a kid!

There’s nothing wrong with that but we do seem to be the team of perpetual “almost” & I’ve learned that there are other things in life to appreciate. It is , after all just a form of entertainment, you can invest as much emotion as you feel happy with.

There really are people who supported Poch over THFC after all??
WTF?

Watch them all come crawling back when we turn it around. I thought these people said you should show support through the bad times.....now jumping ship like rats.
Just goes to show doesn’t it.....never put anyone before the badge and you won’t end up like this lost “fan”.

The only disgrace are these floating voters....need a half n half scarf with that post Joe?

First of all, let’s acknowledge that Poch took over a squad in crisis and elevated them to regular top 4 and a champions league final

Where did to go wrong?
Poch’s system was predictable and very demanding on the squads fitness. We saw some excellent performances; but we also saw what happened when the squad go tired. There was no ‘2nd system’. By February the squad had burnt out. We had lost the elegance of Mousa in midfield, Kane got injured and our older players were exhausted.

But Poch did wonders with our youth players right?
The myth that Poch was able to develop younger players seems disproven. Jannsen, GKN were pretty much disregarded by Poch and never given a chance. – Sanchez and Alli have gone backwards under Poch, Bentaleb and Mason; who were an excellent partnership under Sherwood were disregarded by Poch. The only players from our youth team that have come into the squad over his tenure are Skipp, KWP (barely any playing time) and Winks. Kane of course is the stand out. Brought in under Sherwood and shined under Poch.

But we didn’t buy any players for 2 transfer windows!
And Man City only brought 1; who barely played.

Should Poch have been given more time?
Had we not made top 4 he would have been gone in the summer. Had we not made the ECL final I also suspect he would have been gone in the summer. Its clear that he was given extra time to put things right after the summer window where we spent 170m on players. Clearly those targets were not met and this international break was probably the deadline.

Its clear that Poch could not get the best out of the squad at his disposal. It’s a lot easier to change the coach than change the 30 or so players in the squad.

Mourinho?
Well, he has attended a number of Spurs games this season. This leads me to believe that Poch knew the writing was on the wall after the summer and was fighting to save his job.

If he is coming in, he will have identified 1 or 2 players that he wants. It makes me wonder if Dybala was on his list. (just as Liverpool signed Firmino before Klopp arrived – get me this player and I will join).

Ronaldo seems unhappy at Juventus, get it done Levy
Ok, one step at a time!!
Well done
Quite possibly the most execrable piece of ordure ever posted on this site.
I think if you listen carefully you will hear your village calling you to return.
Heed the call.

I doubt any of you subscribe to this site, but this is the best article I’ve read so far about what’s been going on inside the locker room and with Poch. Very good read and very detailed.

Yeah let's keep having mediocre sh!t

Fcuking myopia. How long do you think Kane or even Son would have hung around without any direction at the club?

Pochettino had to go and at this juncture the club had few options than seek to get in a divisive but respected alternative.

You support Tottenham right?

Back
Top Bottom