Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Their owner, Matthew Benham, got rich on sports betting. Don't know how rich he is but he's posted a fair amount of cash into Brentford already, way before covid. He also owns Danish club FC Midtjylland who will become champions this season.

He's real life moneyball. These players have been brought based on algorithms for hardly anything. I heard a podcast a couple of months back, and I remember if it was the acadamy or U19 squad they were gonna close, or maybe both. Makes sense. They are a London based team and the competition for young acadamy players is fierce with a lot of Premier League clubs around. Their model seems to work, with Olleie Watkins found in Exeter City and a cheap Saïd Benrahma from Nice

Really, really like what Benham is about, I've posted bits and bobs previously about Brentford/Benham and also more in depth stuff over on SC previously. I think it's one of the more fascinating, innovative football stories of the last decade or so.

As soon as the PL introduced their EPPP, Benham quickly realised that ditching the academy made sense for them - smartly IMO - as it weighted things heavily in favour of the Cat 1 academies - which I think meant lesser academies could spend years coaching kids only to lose them to Cat 1 Academies for peanuts. Instead choosing to concentrate on intelligent recruitment.

This article, where he says he doesn't like the term Moneyball, predates that (from 2015) but it's a good little read about Benham - I really like how he comes across.

Really like this kid, he's not superstar shiny, but he's a tenacious little grafter who can play a bit of football. I had him as one of my "value" purchases in my DOF team (thread). Not exactly a pure DM, not the big, robust Wanyama type, but more the compact "busy cunt" type and of that type he's well worth 10m, would be a humungous upgrade in midfield on people like Dier, Winks, Sissoko for that double pivot remit, can also play in a CM3.

He is not a defensive midfielder as the article states

Also he is about 3ft tall

No thanks

He's not a big robust pure DM. But he is a little terrier though, and a good footballer to boot. If we bought him, I'd still like us to buy a more dedicate athletic, robust DM, but I'd have Lopez here for 10m no problem. You could sell Dier, Sissoko and Winks and he'd cover all their remits in one little 10m footballer.

Really, really like what Benham is about, I've posted bits and bobs previously about Brentford/Benham and also more in depth stuff over on SC previously. I think it's one of the more fascinating, innovative football stories of the last decade or so.

As soon as the PL introduced their EPPP, Benham quickly realised that ditching the academy made sense for them - smartly IMO - as it weighted things heavily in favour of the Cat 1 academies - which I think meant lesser academies could spend years coaching kids only to lose them to Cat 1 Academies for peanuts. Instead choosing to concentrate on intelligent recruitment.

This article, where he says he doesn't like the term Moneyball, predates that (from 2015) but it's a good little read about Benham - I really like how he comes across.

Yep him and the guy who owns Brighton - love it. Tifo football and Michael Cox covered it at some point and I loved it

He's not a big robust pure DM. But he is a little terrier though, and a good footballer to boot. If we bought him, I'd still like us to buy a more dedicate athletic, robust DM, but I'd have Lopez here for 10m no problem. You could sell Dier, Sissoko and Winks and he'd cover all their remits in one little 10m footballer.
If we’re talking any sort of deep lying playmaker surely it has to be Tonali

If we’re talking any sort of deep lying playmaker surely it has to be Tonali

Lopez is not a deep lying playmaker, he's more a busy little fucker who can play football. I guess you could say Skipp might hopefully cover this remit in the future, but Lopez for 10m and low wages, is 150 games into that process and still only 22. Like a better version of Winks already, despite being younger.

Back
Top Bottom