Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Only me or has he been pretty bad this season. He's seemingly declined although not as badly as Vertonghen.
His 1on1 defending has been very bad and a lot of mistakes have started creeping in + I don't think he's as switched on as he used to be . Also read a Stat that he has the worst ariel duels win % of any premier league player (not good).

Sanchez for me is 9/10 against the top teams but 5/10 against the lower half teams.
At the moment neither Alderweireld or Sanchez would be starting ideally.
Buying a CB this window really needs to be a priority.
Yep 100 %
For me Sanchez gets too tight to the attacker.

His decision making needs to improve, when to challenge for the ball or when to step off.

At times he looks good and at others he gets turned too easily.

He could be great if he can sort that out.

Yep 100 %
For me Sanchez gets too tight to the attacker.

His decision making needs to improve, when to challenge for the ball or when to step off.

At times he looks good and at others he gets turned too easily.

He could be great if he can sort that out.
100% agree , its those games like v Burnley where he thinks he can outmuscle Chris wood for example and then he doesn't. I think he needs to learn his limitations.
He's also a bit sloppy on the ball , but then again Mourinho doesn't nesseccarily care about your ball playing abilities.

I still retain faith in him , despite others suggesting we sell him.

Only me or has he been pretty bad this season. He's seemingly declined although not as badly as Vertonghen.
His 1on1 defending has been very bad and a lot of mistakes have started creeping in + I don't think he's as switched on as he used to be . Also read a Stat that he has the worst ariel duels win % of any premier league player (not good).

Sanchez for me is 9/10 against the top teams but 5/10 against the lower half teams.
At the moment neither Alderweireld or Sanchez would be starting ideally.
Buying a CB this window really needs to be a priority.
He’s never quite been the same since that injury he picked up in the first season at Wembley but I do think he’s been hampered by what’s happened around him.

Playing Serge so high means he has to cover out wide which he can’t do anymore and no defensive help from midfield means he’s under constant pressure.

Sanchez is making the same mistakes now as he did when he first joined. Has the attributes to be a top defender but not sure he’s got the brain to go with it.

He’s never quite been the same since that injury he picked up in the first season at Wembley but I do think he’s been hampered by what’s happened around him.

Playing Serge so high means he has to cover out wide which he can’t do anymore and no defensive help from midfield means he’s under constant pressure.

Sanchez is making the same mistakes now as he did when he first joined. Has the attributes to be a top defender but not sure he’s got the brain to go with it.
I also agree personally I think when this team gets a New RB and New CDM , it should stop leaving our CB'S so exposed as currently that's a big issue but I just think some people still think Toby is as good as he was in 16/17 and that's just not the case.

I also agree personally I think when this team gets a New RB and New CDM , it should stop leaving our CB'S so exposed as currently that's a big issue but I just think some people still think Toby is as good as he was in 16/17 and that's just not the case.
How can you decide that conclusively though, if you're acknowledging that the central defenders are missing cover from fullback and midfield that WAS there in 16/17, then you have to be open to the possibility that once they are replaced, his form may return?

How can you decide that conclusively though, if you're acknowledging that the central defenders are missing cover from fullback and midfield that WAS there in 16/17, then you have to be open to the possibility that once they are replaced, his form may return?
To an extent I agree but you can also see a regression in Toby , he's making a lot of individual errors and he doesn't seem as switched on (eg. Goal v Burnley where Chris wood was more alert than him) , I agree tho that his performances should improve once we get an actual RB and CDM.

To an extent I agree but you can also see a regression in Toby , he's making a lot of individual errors and he doesn't seem as switched on (eg. Goal v Burnley where Chris wood was more alert than him) , I agree tho that his performances should improve once we get an actual RB and CDM.
Hopefully we get them and find out.

It was all fairly fluffy. No juicy gossip.

Mind you, he did let slip that he thought Eriksen's missus was a crap shag; that he'd told Jan it wouldn't be worth it and that nor would the black eye she'd give him for sharing the pics around the dressing room.

You musta missed that bit....

Toby's done at Tottenham
Dier's shown us exactly why Toby isn't 1st choice anymore.
His 1v1 defending is atrocious , he barely wins any duels and he's slowed
Apart from his passing , he's regressed in every other department. I could find loads of clips of where his defending is poor. I even think back to the Burnley game before lockdown where Lloris pushes out the shot and Chris Wood gets to it before Alderweireld , the anticipation he once had is gone.
Dier and Sanchez will hopefully be the backline going forward.

Toby's done at Tottenham
Dier's shown us exactly why Toby isn't 1st choice anymore.
His 1v1 defending is atrocious , he barely wins any duels and he's slowed
Apart from his passing , he's regressed in every other department. I could find loads of clips of where his defending is poor. I even think back to the Burnley game before lockdown where Lloris pushes out the shot and Chris Wood gets to it before Alderweireld , the anticipation he once had is gone.
Dier and Sanchez will hopefully be the backline going forward.
Still think he’s a good 3rd centre back option but I agree Dier is showing him up in every department.

what surprised me most last night was Dier’s passing. It seems now he is at CB he has more time on the ball and isn’t actually making those sloppy passes now.

Still think he’s a good 3rd centre back option but I agree Dier is showing him up in every department.

what surprised me most last night was Dier’s passing. It seems now he is at CB he has more time on the ball and isn’t actually making those sloppy passes now.

The Vert-like surge and shot last night was pretty hunky too!

That's always been the case with Dier.

Give him time on the ball and he's fine. In DM, he'd be closed down and panic. In the past, he had Dembele to just pass the ball to and everyone knew he'd get out of it and beat the press.

He hasn't really been pressed at a centre back yet so that'll be interesting to see. But he seems a bit no nonsense so he'd probably clear it into the wings knowing it's more acceptable from that position.

We should be developing Tanganga more than relying on Toby as 3rd choice. Another young talented defender as fourth choice too.

Back
Top Bottom