Tottenham Vs Woolwich - Sun 12th July, 4:30pm.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think you're being rather kind. Hardly a success.

Siggy was often ineffective and couldn't cope with the parked buses of teams like Stoke etc; whereas the shit teams would open up a bit for teams like Swansea. Everton found out the hard way having paid £50 for him.

...Telegraph Sport, 19 Sep 2013: "... New boys Nacer Chadli, Erik Lamela and Christian Eriksen can all operate in either the No 10 position or on the left flank, where Sigurdsson enjoyed so much success in the second half of last season..."

"...where Sigurdsson enjoyed so much success..."

"...success..."

COYS

A bit of personal friggen pride!

Rafa made himself a legend in one season...... This shower apart from Kane will be pretty much forgotten about. Maybe Sonny will live in the memory.

Woolwich never took us for granted when they believed they were better than us.

I think they realised it was a cup final for us and approached it accordingly even though they were streets ahead.....

Compared to us and West Ham; how often do we let those game-raising bastards run amok? Too often.

I think they realised it was a cup final for us and approached it accordingly even though they were streets ahead.....

Compared to us and West Ham; how often do we let those game-raising bastards run amok? Too often.

I think it was more likely them having some of the greatest players the league has ever seen. So even if they did dip their performance, they were always just better on the day.

Yup - there's 2 ways of losing...... You can lose like pussys or you can lose like fighters......

Nothing can illustrate this better than the Inter Milan match at the San Siro and the Young Boys match - both in our first ever champions league campaign.

We lost both, but we gained a shed load of respect from others.

Too often we pussy out these days.

It may have reduced error rates by getting those millimeter offside decision "correct" (although frame rates and movement speed of players puts many such decision in doubt), and it has been used to "correctly" disallow goals in situations where the ball touches the hand of an attacker (the guide lines for handball is every bit as fucking stupid as VAR). It might be a bit more precise for such decisions than the onfield referee.

But I have to ask: Who calculates the error rates? We keep seeing experts disagree on many situations. What is a correct decision, what is not? Is it perhaps possible that those who find that the error rate has decreased is biased and wants VAR? And does the error rate evaluation take into account all decisions made, including the ones that VAR does not evaluate? It has appeared that onfield referees have become more reluctant to make calls. I believe a lot of errors are made where the onfield refs does not make a call and VAR does not intervene at the moment.

Even if fewer errors are made, the cost is disproportionate to the gain. The cost includes the time it takes to wait for decisions to be made, the euphoria-killing fear that the goal may be turned down by VAR when a team gets the ball into the opponents net, the added layer of frustration and anger when decisions are erroneous, as they are way too often and too clearly, after review by VAR, the frustration and confusion when important calls for some ridiculous reason (often defined - stupidly - in the guide lines for VAR) are ignored by VAR (like the foul on Moura prior to the "handball" or the elbow in the face of Son that should have been a second yellow), and more.

The VAR system is completely moronic and damaging to football. As are many changes in guide lines for rules such as the handball rule. The people put in charge of defining and enforcing the rules of the game are clearly a bunch of clueless cunts who do not get the game of football, who are more focused on trying to solve the impossible Sisyphus task of removing the error-potential of the rules and guidelines for enforcement of the rules than ensuring tha the rules and guidelines are such that football is football.

One example is the handball rule: In an attempt to reduced the consequences, or whatever, of a rule that it is hard to enforce correctly, they keep changing what is a punishable handball. It went from active use of arm to deliberately interfere with the ball, to a ridiculous regulation including "natural position" which was hard to get right (costing us a CL final), to an even more ridiculous regulation now which says that if a defender is hit in the hand it is not handball but if an attacker for any reason whatsoever is in contact with the ball with his hand prior to a goal the goal should be disallowed. It is unfathomably ridiculous.

Another example is a suggestion to a change to the offside rule made by a group lead by Wenger, if I am not mistaken. They were trying to solve the problem of the controversial millimeter-decisions and VAR still pictures measuring armpit positions. Their solution, which according to them was to solve the entire thing and fix the problem, was that the the attacker fully had to be in an offside position, not just a part of his body with which he could score a goal. It is ridiculous beyond belief. Not only would that lead to similar millimeter-based decision, it would also greatly change the offside rule and allow forwards a greater advantage.

VAR is shit. And so are the ones regulating the rules of the game.
All VAR really does is taking away a huge chunk of the human part. We've had fantastic football for 50 years plus and we've all lived with ref's mistakes. It's PART of the game. It always has been. I prefer the mistakes, miss them even. Now as we slowly become Americanised, every little tiny aspect of the game is put under a microscope, analysed, pulled apart. People are right when they say it's a different game. It is. All the aspects which made it imperfect and exciting have gone. Someone on this thread listed a bunch of negatives including 4 quarters with ad breaks. Make no mistake. This pampering babyish "water break" just in case someone is a bit thirsty is pathetic. They're not toddlers out there and this isn't Southern Europe.
It won't be long before they shove an add in there. More revenue for owners and TV. IMO , it's the thin end of the wedge

...Telegraph Sport, 19 Sep 2013: "... New boys Nacer Chadli, Erik Lamela and Christian Eriksen can all operate in either the No 10 position or on the left flank, where Sigurdsson enjoyed so much success in the second half of last season..."

"...where Sigurdsson enjoyed so much success..."

"...success..."

COYS

Journo's often peddle cliche's and lazy analysis.... What is the "success" they refer to?

EPL stats @ Spurs:
Apps: 58
Goals: 8
Assist: 4

Was routinely easily swallowed up by CBs.

...let's not rewrite history - Siggy didn't "flop" - he just didn't want to lose starts and minutes to Eriksen as the number 10 - and he was light years better than "Deuce" Dempsey, a talentless poacher...

COYS
Dempsey scored 10 goals in 31 games for us.
Siggy scored 8 goals in 58 games for us

Siggy can be as talented as he wants. Dempsey performed better for us.

Last edited:
If that's the aim... It won't work.

Can't remember the exact words now but it slags Lewis off for being a "tax dodger"... Muddy message anyway.
A muddy message is never great but if nothing works then the alternative is to just lie down and accept it, which seems a little defeatist.

Was riding my bike yesterday with my daughter.

We pass my neighbors yard. He's a gooner (sort of, like most American goons, he doesn't know shit).

I point to him fiercely as we glide by. "Tomorrow!" I shout. "Tomorrow!"

Meanwhile my daughter in front of me has stopped, and I run right into her.

The bike tips over, but I manage a foot out, the bike crashes to the ground and I do a semi-circle trot in my flip flops. Upright and unscathed.

Random passerby says, "Nice save bro."

Gooner neighbor says, "Are we playing tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow!" I yell again, and pick up my bike and casually saunter away.

Solid omen.

We got this.

3-1

COYS
You should have shat on his lawn

Ecu3eZbWAAAxg4_

Back
Top Bottom