Gedson Fernandes

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't fully understand the loan in the first place or why we would keep it going.

I guess he is still young but we rarely used him. he doesn't seem suited for a DM role, he isn't particularly creative or a good passer of the ball, he doesn't seem overly fast either.

Even if he develops he doesn't seem to be much more than a run of the mill CM that doesn't really fill a role or do anything but be. If we are going to have that kind of player shouldn't they at least be homegrown so we get credit for that?

Maybe it was because of the injuries we had with no idea there would be a Covid break so he was an emergency body but now it seems like an easy choice to send him back to Benefica, and bring in one of their better players instead.

When we brought him in we had injuries so i was happy to have another player on board. But then it became clear that even with injuries he wasn't going to start any games. So why did we bring him in?

There is something dodgy about this loan. The player never plays, we never start him. Benfica get their loan fee but we're paying his wages.

What the fuck are we gaining here?

He was a desperation signing. Hence why it was on loan. Don't think they really wanted him but we needed a midfielder at the time.

Does anyone even know what his best position is? I know it's not LM, the guy never uses his left foot. I thought when he came on he would sit in front of Winks and Sissoko and just prevent Pogba and Bruno from getting the ball in the middle.
He ended up playing much higher up then got farmed out to the left. Tried to cut inside on his right foot but AWB had too much athleticism for him, so kept having to play it back.
So desperate we had Skipp who Mourinho refused to play and unlike Gedson, he looks like a player.

I don't fully understand the loan in the first place or why we would keep it going.

I guess he is still young but we rarely used him. he doesn't seem suited for a DM role, he isn't particularly creative or a good passer of the ball, he doesn't seem overly fast either.

Even if he develops he doesn't seem to be much more than a run of the mill CM that doesn't really fill a role or do anything but be. If we are going to have that kind of player shouldn't they at least be homegrown so we get credit for that?

Maybe it was because of the injuries we had with no idea there would be a Covid break so he was an emergency body but now it seems like an easy choice to send him back to Benefica, and bring in one of their better players instead.
You answered your own question. We had a small injury crisis in midfield at the time and he is a highly rated youth player who was available.

You answered your own question. We had a small injury crisis in midfield at the time and he is a highly rated youth player who was available.

He is highly rated? Why?

I am not being sarcastic I am honestly interested in what makes him highly rated. I know we only saw him in limited minutes but he didn't show that he was particularly good at anything and while he is 21 and still has time to grow it isn't like he is too young to be able to regularly play even just as a sub at this level.

I think if we just needed a warm body to fill for injury concerns there were better options than a foreign trained player that apparently was barely good enough to crack our weak line-up.

He's 21 is that a youth player?

Sissoko was injured, which other midfielders were out? Tanguy was more a fitness/tactical issue. Even with injuries he wasn't playing. When everyone's fit he doesn't play.

So what is he doing here?

He's 21 is that a youth player?

Sissoko was injured, which other midfielders were out? Tanguy was more a fitness/tactical issue. Even with injuries he wasn't playing. When everyone's fit he doesn't play.

So what is he doing here?
Good post

Btw is this your first account on here? No judgement

He is highly rated? Why?

I am not being sarcastic I am honestly interested in what makes him highly rated. I know we only saw him in limited minutes but he didn't show that he was particularly good at anything and while he is 21 and still has time to grow it isn't like he is too young to be able to regularly play even just as a sub at this level.

I think if we just needed a warm body to fill for injury concerns there were better options than a foreign trained player that apparently was barely good enough to crack our weak line-up.
Gedson broke through in the 18-19 season for Benfica as a box to box midfielder who was in charge of breaking through opposition lines with a combination of a burst of speed and dribbling ability. And off the ball he was to provide pressing tenacity. He broke through when Benfica played a 4-3-3 and he was partnered with and out and out DM and a more creative 10. And was lost in the shuffle when the new manager introduced a 4-4-2 system that did not require his role.

So he more or less had the same tactical role as Ndombele did at Lyon in his breakout season. There are talks of Mourinho wanting to move to a 4-3-3 system next season with a clear cut DM which could benefit both Ndombele and Gedson. Getting a clear cut DM in would benefit them no matter the formation to be honest.

I actually think that Gedson has shown promise and been a bright spark in his brief playing time, and he could be one of the big winners of us being in Europa League next season.

This article does a good write up of him, probably better than I could:

Also, the obligatory youtube highlight reel:

Fuck me, who wrote that, his dad? It seems we've signed the next Iniesta according to that.

So, he wasn't deemed good enough to start with Benfica. How's he good enough to start at Tottenham?
The buying clause is allegedly £55 Million. We aren't seriously going to pay that are we? That would make him the 2nd most expensive player in our history (and the first isn't exactly covering himself in glory).

This loan makes no sense to me. I can see what Benfica gain but i fail to see what benefit this is to Tottenham.

It's obvious we got the WRONG Fernandes.... BRUNO was the one we were after, but I assume Levy thought that once 'Fernandes' was on the back of people's shirts (which I assume it wasn't) ...no one would notice the difference!! :levylol:
Oh Danny, you fool.... :levywtf::levystare:

So Gedson doesn’t deserve more time but Ndombele does

Wankers

You in any thread, on any topic...

tumblr_lmqh5ski9H1qb87bqo1_500.gif

Back
Top Bottom