Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A lot of chat saying we shouldn't as fans, be wanting glamour signings or star names.

Well sorry, but as a fan, especially a fan of a big club, I get excited by the thought of big names joining my team.. It gets me hard.
Isn't that part of what being a football fan is all about? Excitement?

Why should we just be happy watching our rivals cherry pick all the best players?

Why should we be expected to be grateful being in the market for cheap mediocrity while we post higher annual profits than everyone else?

One thing Spurs have been famous for down the years is signing big names players.

We may not have always been prolific trophy winners. But at least we used to make a bloody effort in the transfer market and gave our fans excitement.
21c8187786a008ced901a56f581115f2.jpg

Not only that, but everyone was having a party when Tripps departed, and look what we ended up with.

I'm not defending Serge but everyone just always assumes that we can't do worse than what we've got.

I never wanted Tripps sold, fucking ridiculous to sell him. Yes he is not the best defensively but he wasn't as bad as most made out and of course he offered a lot in attacking areas with his deliveries from out wide

Not only that, but everyone was having a party when Tripps departed, and look what we ended up with.

I'm not defending Serge but everyone just always assumes that we can't do worse than what we've got.

Aurier isn’t great but there are worse, he is just wildly inconsistent. As a back up I can live with.

Two right backs needed, Levy in charge, it's not happening. Prepare yourselves for a season of Sissoko playing right back.

So was Wyanama, so was Alderwield, so was Eriksen but it is not the sole factor is it? Otherwise we would only buy players with 1 year on their contract. Hojeberg has been one of the leagues between DM, ( as I said he is more of Carrick style inceptor) is in his prime and doesn’t cost much. He is better than what we have in that postion. It’s is a no brainer on paper but he comes from Southampton and doesn’t cost much which is really the issue here.

I suspect if I looked back in the transfer thread in 2015 you would have been saying the same about the likes of Ali, Tripper, Alderwield and Son. We missed out in that big money Berhahio signing and yet went from 5th to 3rd and where challenging for the league for most of the season.

Our big money top 4 signings - Soldado, Paulinho, Lamela, Ndombele, Sanchez and Lo Celso have been poor to terrible.

But according to some that is the solution to our problems when in fact the model that has got us into the top 4 is the complete opposite.

Alderweireld, Son and Eriksen were much better players than Hojbjerg when signed with a ton more upside. Wanyama was a proper DM.

The issue is not that he comes from Southampton the issue is that he is not a proper DM that we need, he is not at a level to get us back to top 4 that we should be looking to acquire and he is not a young player that will develop.

He is a fine addition. Yes he makes us better but we should have more ambition than just being better, we should be trying to get back to the top 4. being better than Winks/Sissoko should not be the bar we are trying to get over.

LOL at your stupid Lo Celso vendetta. He has been great for us and thank god we have him to make up for PEH passing issues.

I am not sure how you would compare Alli who is still younger than Hojbjerg. I would like us to make some signings like that. Bringing in some young guys with talent to see if we can develop them. Florentino Luis for example is a guy who is a proper DM. Bring him in and we have a chance to get a top 4 talent.

Yes you are correct that making poor signings is a bad thing but to try and act as though those signings were bad because they were expensive and not because they are the same thing we always do in bringing in good, not great talent for big money is laughable.

I never wanted Tripps sold, fucking ridiculous to sell him. Yes he is not the best defensively but he wasn't as bad as most made out and of course he offered a lot in attacking areas with his deliveries from out wide
it's our shit scouting which let us down. what do they get paid for sitting on their backside doing f all. when Leicester and wolves recruit better you know there's something wrong. and tight ass levy holding back our potential as a giant. it's like getting the hot chick (stadium) but you realize your dick is too small to do anything( players matching the stadium)

So you agree that our ambition should only be 6th?

The fuck up is that our club became the first club ever to go two windows without signing anyone in the midst of having our strongest teams in the PL era. If you think having some sort of BS infrastructure justifies that then you are a much more forgiving fan than I.

If all Levy wants us to be is 6th then he should come out and say it and stop with the World Class stadium/facilities and world class club BS.

Jesus wept - ambition is solely determined by market spend.

We built a team based on youth and value, that’s our model, that’s Liverpool model. But In your world that’s not ambitious - they had massive success via that. We should have with the players we had but no success can only be achieved by market spend.

Yes not signing anyone over two windows is a catastrophe. Look at that the damage it did to Liverpool who did that ( unless you count Adrian and some Dutch kid as ambitious CL level singings).

We regressed last season because our high profile big money, ambitious signings stunk the place out. So what is the solution more big money, ambitious, high profile signings.

And if we don’t make those that’s the club accepting it doesn’t have any ambition. This despite signings like Hoejberg playing a massive part in us becoming a CL club.

Fucking transfer junkies.

I'm happy to let Aurier go providing there is an superior replacement signed. That's where we have failed miserably in recent years. Not enough of the players we've brought in have been better than the ones we've let go. With Serge being a good example of that himself. No better than Tripps and a downgrade on Walker.

Selling Trippier wasn't the problem it was not properly having a plan or adequate replacement.

I hope this management team doesn't not make a move because in the past they made mistakes. That is an awful way to run a team.

What they should do is realize that the mistake wasn't selling the player it was not properly planning for what would happen after and misjudging the players you had at the position.

He seemed to suggest he left because of Poch’s Svengali response to his question about his future: fair play.

People don’t leave an organisation, they leave a manager.

Jesus wept - ambition is solely determined by market spend.

We built a team based on youth and value, that’s our model, that’s Liverpool model. But In your world that’s no ambitious - they had massive success via that. We should have with the players we had but no success can only be achieved by market spend.

Yes not signing anyone over two windows is a catastrophe. Look at that the damage it did to Liverpool who did that ( unless you count Adrian and some Dutch kid as ambitious CL level singings).

We regressed last season because our high profile big mone, ambitious signings stunk the place out. So what is the solution more big money, ambitious, high profile signings.

And if we don’t make those that’s the club accepting it doesn’t have any ambition. This despite signings like Hoejberg have played a massive part in us becoming g a CL club.

Fucking transfer junkies.

Liverpool didn't add much because they built a solid foundation of a team that was competing for the and title and wasn't losing key players. Plus they filled a hole with Adrian as you mentioned. It may not have been a huge add but fixed the issue they had with Karius and Mingnolet previously.

We were a team that had fallen short, lost many key players and starting to show signs of dropping in form.

Trying to compare the two teams is laughable.

And I am fine if we are going the youth route. More than fine actually. Bring in players like Florentino Luis, Camavinga, Bellingham, Benrahma, Eze etc. I would have no issue seeing moves like that. i can see the ambition in adding and developing those types of players. But we aren't even doing that.

We are bringing in ok level players that maintain us at a top 6 level but don't give us much chance to move up the table or become more competitive.

If all Levy wants us to be is 6th then he should come out and say it and stop with the World Class stadium/facilities and world class club BS.
And the world class ticket prices.

Seriously. Charging the highest prices on earth while expecting the fans to be happy with signings Hodgberg and Wilson would be nothing short of taking the piss.

Back
Top Bottom