Is it wrong to enjoy or even revel in Arsenals humiliation?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Didn't we break our trf record in 17/18 too..... ?

....Add to him Serge, Lucas, Llorente, Foyth, Gazzaniga = 100m+

"Utter neglect".... Drama queen.

You were told we'd spend less whilst the stadium was being built..... No-one lied to you. Get over it.
Now that's some revisionism. Where did all the "the stadium will pay for itself, it won't impact our ability to spend... quite the contrary!" posts go? I mean that's what we were told for years.

I'm not senile. I do remember what was said 2 years ago unfortunately.

Now that's some revisionism. Where did all the "the stadium will pay for itself, it won't impact our ability to spend... quite the contrary!" posts go? I mean that's what we were told for years.

We weren't told there would be zero impact. It was said that regardless of us spending less we would still operate in the trf market and tend to the squad.

I think you've mis interpreted the notion of paying for itself.... In years to come as it generates higher income levels; yes.... But how do you figure it pays for itself during the building phase? That would be gibberish.....

We weren't told there would be zero impact. It was said that regardless of us spending less we would still operate in the trf market and tend to the squad.

I think you've mis interpreted the notion of paying for itself.... In years to come as it generates higher income levels; yes.... But how do you figure it pays for itself during the building phase? That would be gibberish.....

" “Daniel Levy said no. The fact that stadium costs had risen does not impact that number. Levy said that with a debt of £637m, subject to reasonable assumption on interest rates, the net spend on players would not be affected. There is a certain amount the club wants to invest in the team. If players are sold, that amount increases.” - 2019

Transfers safe despite rebuilding, Levy tells fans -2016

Be honest.

I worry in recent years when we do decide to go spending money. Ndombele and Davinson Sanchez at a combined cost of in or around £110 million are our two record signings. And then there was the Bale money of £100 million odd. Throw in Serge Aurier, Vincent Janssen and George-Kevin Nkoudou as well who cost the guts of £50 million between them.

" “Daniel Levy said no. The fact that stadium costs had risen does not impact that number. Levy said that with a debt of £637m, subject to reasonable assumption on interest rates, the net spend on players would not be affected. There is a certain amount the club wants to invest in the team. If players are sold, that amount increases.” - 2019

Be honest.

How much were we spending circa 2016 > 2018 compared to before? We were pretty much consistent in our spending until the fabled 'year off. We then had a spend up the first season we got home.

....I'm sorry, i see little to be aggrieved over; but as I've always said - Show me cash being horded or taken out of the club and I'll join the riots

How much were we spending circa 2016 > 2018 compared to before? We were pretty much consistent in our spending until the fabled 'year off. We then had a spend up the first season we got home.

....I'm sorry, i see little to be aggrieved over; but as I've always said - Show me cash being horded or taken out of the club and I'll join the riots
Don't change your argument now. You said no one ever said that the budget will be affected. Admit you were wrong please.

hahahhahahahahaha

Have a day off you plonker

Bottom of the prem NET spend over 5 years weren't we ? I guess that means we earnt less money than Bournemouth and Burnley.
LOL - Airfixx Airfixx logic 101 for you right there

He’s a troll, mate - pay attention to how he ignored your question about Levy making himself the highest paid CEO in world football having won FUCK ALL in 20 years. Greedy shameless snake cunt

Don't change your argument now. You said no one ever said that the budget will be affected. Admit you were wrong please.

My overall argument hasn't changed. I've made a number of comments to refute the notion of "utter neglect".

The comment you refer to (verbatum) was incorrect..... Sure, I'll concede that.

... However, I don't think we have significantly contradicted Levy's pledge as the belt tightening was already in action and we continued to wheel and deal and 'look for value' in a manner we had before. Sure, Neymar, Coutinho and 1 or 2 other deals hugely inflated the market, but we weren't splashing big money prior to 2016.

Any dip in spending spending felt negligible.... Especially as the whole 5 years of low net spend meme would effectively date between 14-19.

...So what really changed during that time frame?

If you honestly believe a football club can invest over £1bn in infrastructure, and it'll be funded by the magical money tree with no impact on their other spending, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Be honest.
Levy says a lot of things I wouldn't believe most of it, this fella doesn't want to match the ambition of others simple as that.

Last edited:
My overall argument hasn't changed. I've made a number of comments to refute the notion of "utter neglect".

The comment you refer to (verbatum) was incorrect..... Sure, I'll concede that.

... However, I don't think we have significantly contradicted Levy's pledge as the belt tightening was already in action and we continued to wheel and deal and 'look for value' in a manner we had before. Sure, Neymar, Coutinho and 1 or 2 other deals hugely inflated the market, but we weren't splashing big money prior to 2016.

Any dip in spending spending felt negligible.... Especially as the whole 5 years of low net spend meme would effectively date between 14-19.

...So what really changed during that time frame?
Come off it mate. He said it in 2016 so spending window should surely be something like 12-16? Not the 16-18 when we spent literally 0.

I am not saying you are wrong about anything else. Just this one thing: you claimed he never said it would affect spending. He CLEARLY did as I quoted you two separate occasions (16 and 19). Just admit it please.

we will always be perennial bottlers until we win something. no ifs or buts. and audi cup don't count

Historically, we were a good club when it came to closing it out. We won all 7 of the first FA Cup Finals we appeared in and of our 9 FA Cup finals, the loss to Coventry in 1987 was the only one lost.

We won 3 of the first 4 League Cup Finals, we played in, the only defeat in extra time to Liverpool in 1982 after they got a very late equaliser in ordinary time.

We won 3 of our first 4 European finals, the loss to Feyenoord in 1974 the only blip there.

At the start of the 1990's, only Liverpool had won more trophies than us in the post WW2 era in England.

Its been an utter shit show in the EPL era though, when it comes to the whole Spursy thing. Fair enough, we were dismal for a decade and a half, in fifteen consecutive seasons, we didn't finish in the top 7 even once between 1990/91 and 2004/05. Over the last 15 seasons though, we've finished inside the Top 5 on 11 occasions, two more 6th placed finishes and its 2008/09 since we finished outside the Top 6. We're not in a position to invest like the Chavs and the two Manchester have done to win or even contend for European Cups and leagues, year in year out. Opportunity did present itself in 2015/16 and 2016/17, when we had a bloody good collection of players and all of the big guns were in various states of flux.

Whatever the merits of the arguments over Enic/Levy level of investment to fund League title and European Cup challenges, as a Top 6 side for 11 seasons running, we should have won at least one FA Cup or League Cup. The buck for semi final defeats to a Portsmouth side in administration, getting relegated, to Crystal Palace any number of times in the FA Cup, Norwich and Colchester and the whole Spursy thing lies with management and players.

Who else is sick to death of being laughed at all the time ? The but of all football jokes somewhere along the line involves Spurs. Until we start winning trophies, we will forever be labelled as ultimate losers and to right, it’s bordering on pathetic now. Really pisses me off seeing all those Woolwich fans celebrating and it’s their right. I’m not complaining about them as such, but more to the fact that a shit Woolwich team can win 4 Fa cups in 6 years, yet one of the best Spurs sides in donkeys years can’t achieve or win a single dime. Infuriating supporting Spurs it really is.

Who else is sick to death of being laughed at all the time ? The but of all football jokes somewhere along the line involves Spurs. Until we start winning trophies, we will forever be labelled as ultimate losers and to right, it’s bordering on pathetic now. Really pisses me off seeing all those Woolwich fans celebrating and it’s their right. I’m not complaining about them as such, but more to the fact that a shit Woolwich team can win 4 Fa cups in 6 years, yet one of the best Spurs sides in donkeys years can’t achieve or win a single dime. Infuriating supporting Spurs it really is.

That's it in a nutshell. Until we win a trophy, we will be and deserve to be at the butt of every joke. We had a crop of players for a few years that were good enough to win multiple trophies but didn't win anything. Its hard to put that down to anything other than lack of character and bottle in those players and managerial shortcomings.

Back
Top Bottom