Tottenham v Everton - Sunday September 13, 4:30pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not going to blame any of our players now. Yes, including Sissoko. First 45 minutes were decent, we lacked creativity which was our usual problem, but we managed to fluidly transfer the balls to wings, make spaces both for Son and Doherty, if we put Ndombelly instead of Dele there we would look much better. Defence was solid, we kept James relatively silent, he couldn't find spaces to shor or make a decisive pass. Midfield was fine distributing the ball and closing spaces, we showed some, more or less good pressing. And then, this fucking tactical tweak leaving us with no midfield, with plenty of space for both Richarlison and James, no pressing, and most important, no fucking point. Then Winks got off and all that was damaged when Sissoko came on just fallen into pieces, we were all over the place, no matter who got the ball he had no options to pass, Lucas on wing? only 1 pass backwards available. Sissoko in midfield? Same. Stevie on wing? Nope, one backwards. No matter who we had on pitch, cr7, Messi, Iniesta, this had no chance to work. Absolutely stunning decisions by Jose, I don't understand ANY of them, especially when we had more of the game in first half. Doherty's chance, Dele's chance, Son with 2 or 3 chances to 1v1 with a defender and shoot. Shocking. And again, Ndombele gets thrown into middle of this shitshow and is going to be blamed for terrible performance. Like what could he do? Like what could anyone do here?
Good Post.

When Harry is off his game rather then sub him off and bring on our backup striker it seems we just try and change the team around to get harry firing again , he is only human he can have an off day, that’s why we have that alternative option sat on the bench

Tbf I've been saying that for the longest.

Our manager obviously has his favourites and when those favourites include Eric Dier and Ben Davies then you are in trouble.

Hopefully we can improve on both positions but I'm not holding my breath.
Unfortunately Dier speaks portuguese. Mourinho can talk to him more comfortably which means he will be in the team more. Its a catastrophe for us though as Dier is a talentless calamity and gives out goals many times over the course of the season.

Sorry mate. I am not looking for a row or say anything that upsets you, but that’s quite a list of success. But note when the trophies dry up.

and how many clubs in the history of a game have won more ?

I think, overall the club deserves more and better than this.

The trophies started to notably dry up in 1985.

- Scholar had to be hounded out.
- Sugar refused to embrace what the EPL meant and the commercial growth required from us and consolidted the gap between us and the top.
- ENIC took over not long before Chelsea financially changed the game in this country. Before the end of the decade we looked a prospect again only to get fuck over once again by City doping even harder than The Chavs did. The lack of trophies continued, but in any other aspect they have built the club back up (inc. a new state of the art stadium and training complex) and in the last 5 years we saw a CL final and our only 2 credible title challenges since the 80s.

Never-ending arguments about spending aside; that's the raw bones of our ownership over the last 40 years.

I've been a fan since the turn of the 80's and have yet to see ANY reason why I should EXPECT trophies.....

Last edited:
I hate losing like most people, but easier to stomach when we put up a fight. That was appalling, can't think of any plus points from that performance.
Really should have stuck to my original plan to bake!

20 years of failure speaks for itself. Look at how the Everton board has backed Carlo. Jose will never get the same backing and will be sacked by the end of the season. #EnicOut

Grim viewing today, literally zero positives from that performance. New signings average at best. Particularly worrying was the limp response to going behind, did not look like a motivated (or particularly fit) squad. Tactically awful as well, we look completely clueless unless playing on the counter (and have for the entirety of Jose's reign)

Only upside for me, may provoke some response in the transfer market if we were deluded into thinking the squad was good enough for Top 4. Alternatively, this punishing run of games could see the unravelling of the Mourinho experiment before the end of October - hard to argue that he's getting the best from what he has available and the football is offensive at times

I'm not a knee jerk kind of character but something not right to see that on first day of the season. Obviously the squad needs surgery but looking less likely every day that José is the man for the rebuild

Optimism for the season evaporates after 90mins of football, not sure I can remember that in 26 years of Spurs...

I think its because it feels exactly the same as the start of the last season, starting slow with zero intensity and the players strolling around feeling sorry for themselves rather than doing something about it.
It definitely has the feel of the end of Poch's era, which is why I'm giving Mourinho 10 games before he is gone.
He looks out of ideas, the excuses he is making about players not having a pre-season sounds desperate.

We should've sold Kane and Son, and then invested the money wisely on new attacking options. But this didn't happen. Now, we will suffer.
You don’t contemplate selling Kane, you build around him, you study what Harry Kane thrives on and you acquire players to do just that, but I can assure you, Lucas Moura, Moussa Sissoko, PEH, Moussa Ndombele, Steven Bergwijn are NOT those players...An inform Dale Alli, Christian Eriksen & Moussa Dembele, Victor Wanyama, Kyle Walker, Danny Rose were those players....

Just arrived home. Lost my company mobile earlier at the supermarket checkout of all places. I have a message on my lock screen that gives my E-mail address and luckily when I switched on the PC at home some kind guy had left me his details so I could get in touch. We met up and agreed on an exchange rate of two pints :thumbup:. Nice to know there's still some good guys out there. Cheers Simon !

Obviously gutted but my initial thoughts are that we have nothing to worry about regarding Doherty, I was impressed and but for some great goalkeeping he would be on the scoresheet. Dele Alli was a let down, fuffed and faffed but did little of any real consequence. Right decision by Jose to take him off at half time. Jury is out with Hojbjerg, he snarls and growls, puts himself about but no real quality in his overall play.

I would be fascinated to know how many times when he had the ball did Winks pass it forward ?. I cringe when he passes it back to a player and then turns and points towards the opponent's fucking goal. What's that all about :thumbdown:

Everton were everything we were not. Sharp, intuitive, fighting for every ball and playing with a co-ordination that belied the amount of time they had spent together on the training ground.

Time to lick our wounds and take a bollocking from the manager. Glad he did not try and make a big thing about gaining ground for the decisive free kick. Our problems are much bigger than having to use that as an excuse.

My main concern is Alli and how he responds to the half time substitution. It's something Poch would never have done to him and he needs to accept Jose will do it but also understand why he makes such decisions and act upon it.

Still time to bring in fresh blood but my compliments to Ancellotti on bringing in some astute buys and bedding them in so early.

Terribly disappointing way to start a season with a home defeat but we have to take it on the chin and respond positively against Plovdiv and Southampton.

Back
Top Bottom