Danny Blanchflower

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well done to them Spurs fans.
His family should have been the ones looking after his grave properly.
I look after my familys graves/plots regularly over at Tottenham Cemetery, and keep an eye out for other folks i know over there, it's respect.
Pick up a lot of litter over there too, shouldn't be my job.

That was my very first thought. Why hasn't the son been tending to the grave or getting someone to look after it ? How could you let your own Father's tombstone fall into such a state, regardless of whether he was a famous person or not ?.
Well done to the fans indeed but the family need to take a long hard look at themselves, embarrasing.

Okay, feel like I need to answer here. The last time I visited my grandads grave was the day he was buried, I was 10. I haven't and probably won't ever go back, I think he's the only person in my family that actually has a grave and headstone (everyone else has been cremated)....its not something we do. Every time I go to games I get to think about his achievements. The team/club/stadium is his legacy, and his mark is everywhere around that ground. The memories of him, I hope, however distant, will far outlast an engraving.

im trying to find a quote from Bill Nic about blancflower that goes something like "he thought alot about himself and i thought alot about him" does anyone know were i can find full quote please?
cheers

Okay, feel like I need to answer here. The last time I visited my grandads grave was the day he was buried, I was 10. I haven't and probably won't ever go back, I think he's the only person in my family that actually has a grave and headstone (everyone else has been cremated)....its not something we do. Every time I go to games I get to think about his achievements. The team/club/stadium is his legacy, and his mark is everywhere around that ground. The memories of him, I hope, however distant, will far outlast an engraving.
Wow, you're actually, genuinely related to him? I just thought it was an avatar.

My mother and father both passed away in last ten years and I feel exactly the same. I've not visited where they are laid to rest as, to me, it's not them.

With Bale coming back who is 31, slightly younger than our last double winning captain, perhaps he can be the elder superstar Danny was to help us win a double!

That was my very first thought. Why hasn't the son been tending to the grave or getting someone to look after it ? How could you let your own Father's tombstone fall into such a state, regardless of whether he was a famous person or not ?.
Well done to the fans indeed but the family need to take a long hard look at themselves, embarrasing.
Way too harsh and judgmental mate. Surprised coming from you actually as you come across as a decent, well-grounded fella .

Way too harsh and judgmental mate. Surprised coming from you actually as you come across as a decent, well-grounded fella .

You are quite right. I am in no position to judge anyone or their actions in such circumstances. I read my post again following your 'disagree' and was quite shocked at how blunt and insensitive I had been. I must have been in a foul mood to write such stuff. My sincere apologies to Blanchflower Blanchflower and his relatives for any upset I may have caused with my crass comments.

I have now deleted the post and once again offer my apologies. Thanks also to yourself for giving me such a friendly but totally warranted 'ticking off'. Hagrid will learn to think first before commenting on such a sensitive subject again.
:dierpochhug:

Ive been told that Blanchflower scored a "Rabona" penalty ... never been able to find a video or find out if there was any truth in it though. Anyone else know or heard?
Don't know about a rabona

I think he might have been the first to try the short pass from the pen to the colleague running in to blast it into an empty net vacated by the keeper diving to the ground.

I think the Sunday Express in the late 60's early 70's ran a column by Blanchflower, tips on what to do in certain situations. Illustrated with drawings, cartoon style. I do remember that pen routine being the subject of one of them. Sort of, if none of you fancy taking a penalty, this can work well.

Really good thinker on the game. I imagine the board didn't take Bill's advice to make him the replacement manager in 74 because in part he was an awkward type who would prob run rings around them. Yeah, let's bring in a gooner instead!!

Back
Top Bottom