Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No - because we have Reguilon as an attacking full back now who has contributed massively

No surprise our best PL season 16/17 coincides with a peak Walker/Rose.
And peak Dembele...and Eriksen... we could go on but I think we’re just in ‘disagreement territory.

I get your point, but don’t agree: it’s a team / squad game. Reggie is suspect going back as evidenced in his first game and might have struggled against Burnley. (Although might not).
Time will tell.

We should be able to win games against Burnely with Davies playing if we are to challenge for the title. I see no problem at all playing Davies, but we should limit the number of fringe players in our starting 11. Playing Moura, Davies and Sissoko was painfull to watch agains Burnley, and you could add Dele and Winks to the group of players that makes us play worse. Bergwijn should be ahead of Moura and now we also have Bale, I hope they limit his time on the pitch. Midfield will probably see a lot of rotation with Winks and Sissoko gettins lots of minutes, we should just no play them togheter.

You think nearly all our players are crap and Mourinho doesn't know what he's doing .

You're either on a wind up trolling the shit out of this place or more likely you're clueless and don't understand thevfirst thing about the game.

I don't think that at all.

I think there are some players (Davies, Winks, Moura, Dier) that should not start for us at a the PL level but are fine if they are used in Europa League.

I would say the only two that I think are crap and shouldn't be here at all is Hart and Sissoko. I think Winks, Moura and Dier should all be replaced by more useful players but if used in Europa League and early round Cup games they can still be useful to the club.

I think Mounrinho knows what he is doing but too often goes for the negative/"safe" route with his line-up and tactics. I think we saw this all season last year, in the Everton game to start the season and more recently against Burnely and to end the West Ham game. He has shown in other games to be more willing to play the attacking style that we have been successful with and I hope that he continues this rather than defaulting back to the negative style he seems to prefer.

We should be able to win games against Burnely with Davies playing if we are to challenge for the title. I see no problem at all playing Davies, but we should limit the number of fringe players in our starting 11. Playing Moura, Davies and Sissoko was painfull to watch agains Burnley, and you could add Dele and Winks to the group of players that makes us play worse. Bergwijn should be ahead of Moura and now we also have Bale, I hope they limit his time on the pitch. Midfield will probably see a lot of rotation with Winks and Sissoko gettins lots of minutes, we should just no play them togheter.

I dont mind Davis starting as long as we put more offensive mind players on the pitch. We just had too many defensive players in game against Burnley.

Sissoko, Doherty, PEH and Davis all good defensively, but that's just too many defensive players in the pitch. If we had replaced one of them with Lo Celso, Aurier or Reguilon in that game, we would've had easier game offensively.

.....And yet the primary 50%???

If as a defender you're not suited to coping with the oppo then we're left exposed.
There’s no primary or secondary. Just 50%. Against teams that want more possession, a larger percentage of a fullback’s job is defensive. Against an extremely well organized team like Burnley that’s not going to ask too many questions offensively, it’s 50/50. We almost dropped 2 points due to our inability to break them down. Davies played a large role in that.

I’m not hating on Davies, who is a useful squad player. But why Jose would start him against a team like Burnley is beyond me. We know what he offers: reliable enough defensively, not going to push himself out of position. And we know his limitations: pace, inability to dribble past his man, generally limited offensive effectiveness. Against a team like Burnley, why would you put a player with those characteristics on the pitch?

I’m not hating on Davies, who is a useful squad player. But why Jose would start him against a team like Burnley is beyond me. We know what he offers: reliable enough defensively, not going to push himself out of position. And we know his limitations: pace, inability to dribble past his man, generally limited offensive effectiveness. Against a team like Burnley, why would you put a player with those characteristics on the pitch?
good in the air

We need 2 LB's and rotated FB's heavily in 15/16 and Davies played his full part. Reguilon had played 3 consecutive matches and needed a rest. It made absolute sense to play Davies in this match and he did not let us down. We brought 7 players into the squad including a LB and if Davies is not going to play then Rose or Cirkin were the alternatives and I prefer Davies as Reguilon's back up.

Last edited:
I may have stated this already but watching him play for Wales in a back 3 made me change my mind on him he looks a completely different level of player compared to him playing Lb. I think he did the job he was there to do monday I never expect an outstanding attacking display from him there. I don't particularly rate him as a left back myself but see a very very good cb there for sure.

Except that his limitations are severe and nowhere near acceptable at a club with Top 4 aspirations
Apart from the 3 recent seasons he played 20+ times in the league and Spurs finished in the top 4...

He's not a star player but as others have said many times above, he has a role in the squad and does it well much more often than not. To put it in perspective strong Man Utd teams always had unglamorous reliable players in defensive roles - Irwin, Butt, Evans, Fletcher, O'Shea.

I agree Reguilon should be the first choice LB for the better goal threat.

good in the air

Southampton and Newcastle did fine against Burnely with small FB's.

And again why are we changing our best line-up and approach to match up with the 19th place team in the league.

The best way to neutralize their supposed advantage in the air which has resulted in an amazing 3 goals in 5 games, is to control the ball with players like Reguilon.

Apart from the 3 recent seasons he played 20+ times in the league and Spurs finished in the top 4...

He's not a star player but as others have said many times above, he has a role in the squad and does it well much more often than not. To put it in perspective strong Man Utd teams always had unglamorous reliable players in defensive roles - Irwin, Butt, Evans, Fletcher, O'Shea.

I agree Reguilon should be the first choice LB for the better goal threat.

We finished top 4 with other big 6 teams having down years and no where near to competing for the title.
That also relied on other players on the team playing at peak levels.

Most of those guys you listed play in positions in which offensive ability aren't nearly as important as it is with the FB position.

I may have stated this already but watching him play for Wales in a back 3 made me change my mind on him he looks a completely different level of player compared to him playing Lb. I think he did the job he was there to do monday I never expect an outstanding attacking display from him there. I don't particularly rate him as a left back myself but see a very very good cb there for sure.

Yeah I would happily play him any centre back.

I think naturally that's his best position instinctively in the right areas making blocks and reads the game far better there. I don't think he's comfortable out on the left myself.

I don't think he is a bad left back but I also don't think he was ever signed with it being in mind for him to be first choice. Through performance and necessity he became it. Regullion is now first choice and is a better left back for what we want to become. But Davies will still 100% have his uses there.

Back
Top Bottom