Spurs vs Leicester City 20 Dec 14:15

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

CourteousHonoredGosling-size_restricted.gif

So, the other week, after we beat City, I was castigated when I said that we could not expect to keep winning with so little possession and so much defending. I'm pretty sure one or two posters even fouled me for it as I was binned not long after. Even the brazen one from California mocked me for my apparent lack of football knowledge, which I found hilarious.
Leicester outplayed us today and it was painful to watch.

Harry looked like he knew the game was up in the first half.
Aurier has now given up a FK, corner and penalty in successive games to annihilate our EPL season.
I still believe we can win a cup or 2 even

It’s a bit insulting that people who are concerned about our shit performances are labelled melters or even worse not proper fans.
There are some obvious trolls on here, but there are also some other long standing fans who are not used to seeing this style of play, myself included.
I am no less a fan than any of you guys. I want to see us win, but to see this crap served up week in week out is soul destroying.
Clap Good Job GIF by Team Coco

Funny thing is, I've spent the majority of my time on this forum being derided as a "happy clapper".

Ndombele sub was bad sissoko should have gone off if we really wanted to attack and win the game. Again that is Jose being too pragmatic and defensive. FFS we are losing and you basically take off one of your two players who can actually do something with the ball and bring on another forward as like for like replacement? Why not take off Aurier he cost us the pen he cane off later anyway. Why bring in winks when Vinny could have been put on and we could have hit aimless long balls to him which is what dier was doing most of the game. To me Jose picks on ndombele more than any other player even when some of his faves play the full 90 and play crap. How on earth sissoko stay on for 90 he cost us the 2nd goal. I said to my son that I bet Vardy will win the header when the cross comes in and he did.

Of course players have their share of responsability, but once in a while you're hoping the tactical system bails the shit individual performance (and it seems Mourinho hasn't been able to do that since Olympiakos in CL). Instead it's the other way around, the tactics make players worse than they really are. I'd understand if we had a one day off today, it's absolutely normal, but we've been playing like shit for weeks now.
I said a while back that his tactics make great players look bad. This was something someone said in his last spell at chelski.

Mourinho cocked up pretty much every decision today

I think our current stagnation links back to 5 subs Europa game....chucked half the squad under the bus and now our players are either knackered, fucked off or low in confidence

Embarrassed for any Spurs fan who feels that way
Yes yes we had the North London bragging rights, but right now they are in the sort of mess we were in from mid to late 90's to the late 2000's and we are supposed to be a team challenging for the title with one of the finest strikers in world football playing for us. We should be beating them.

So you can say it was woeful but I can't because I don't like Jose.

Seems fair.
I didn’t say that at all

I wish you wouldn’t twist my words Guido
You’re better than that

I criticised our performance today as did you
No problem

You criticised Jose and I praised him
No problem

see the difference to what you’re now saying?

When i seen their faces entering pitch I knew we were in for something terrible. Physiologically, the players weren’t in it and that’s up to coaching. Its like losing to Liverpool meant our hope for the title is over. We panicked came out flat and uninspired even the manager panicked and shifted away from what got him to the top of the table playing celso and ndombo together.

Mourinho lost it after liverpool and so did his players. Pathetic just pathetic how we melted after that defeat and only down 3 points if we had just played our normal game against liecster.

League is not over but the way things unfolded today its going to be a disaster if something is not done quickly about it from management.

I assume mou is even losing faith in himself now allowing the words of critics get to him.

We need to reinforce the faith we had. Those two ugly losses are not the end of our aspirations. They must wake up. They are better than this. We are better than this.

I’m pissed.

Last edited:
If we cant rope-a-dope and play on the counter (City, Woolwich, etc) then the only times we've done anything in matches is if a team has been having a total meltdown of a game (Utd, Soton) or they've been absolute minnows (some of the Europa opponents).

Faced with any sort of obdurate and battling opponents - Today, Palace, Burnley, Brighton, West Brom, Newcastle, Everton, Antwerp, LASK, even West Ham for an hour was fucking atrocious - and games where we're obliged to have much more of the ball and break a team down, we're scratching around for 90 minutes, by law of averages having some chances here and there, but on the whole looking absolutely clueless as to how to go about proceedings. You cant keep doing that and winning matches, it eventually has to catch up with you.

Then there is the problem that Kane/Son/Hojbjerg it looked like one game too far today, really flat and low in energy. Behind them, the key players, particularly the two attackers everything is reliant on , we've got very little backing them up and picking up the mantle.

We've got to formulate a plan B for when counter attack football isn't on/doesn't work.

This is the the thing isn't it. Mourinho used to be able to coach some initiative into teams too and even his pragmatic phases would be more aggressive than much of our passive limp shite has been - I'm thinking first 30 today, Liverpool, and second halves against Woolwich, Chelsea - it's like he has has no idea how to coach or tactically set us up to take any pro-active initiative in games, so those games - Burnley, Brighton, West Brom, Everton, Newcastle etc - we have no pattern to our play, poor movement.

Our attacking impetus is largely focused around getting Kane and Son into isolated breakaway situations - and we've been lucky that for the first 3 months they've been in the best form of their lives. I've been saying for a while if we lost Kane or the opposition start figuring out how to keep them quiet, we are going to be fucked, especially with the midfield players we have who contribute nothing offensively. It's not a terrible tactic, but you need more. I'll live with some clever tactical pragmatism if it's aggressive and has some initiative attached, but just camping in our own box for an hour at a time, even against the likes of Palace and Woolwich is just asking for trouble.

Also bang on about Kane. Right from the off he just looked lethargic today. Probably for the first time this season - since Everton maybe - I thought he looked disinterested and was making very little effort off the ball.

Last edited:
I’m more embarrassed for our fan base than I am for the team if I’m honest..

Too many new fans and Twatter fan boys I’m ashamed to admit.

It’s ok calling fellow fans knicker wetters and melts but at what point do you start to think that actually maybe they might have a point. That performance was atrocious. We have talent in the squad but we will not win anything playing this way. I said after the Palace game that our league position flattered us. The signs have been there for a while. Playing on the break just doesn’t suit Spurs. We don’t have the ability to transition defence to attack quickly enough on a consistent enough basis as today shows. There are signs that teams are beginning to work us out yet we seem to have forgotten how to play any other way. Time for Jose to earn his money

Yes yes we had the North London bragging rights, but right now they are in the sort of mess we were in from mid to late 90's to the late 2000's and we are supposed to be a team challenging for the title with one of the finest strikers in world football playing for us. We should be beating them.
And we did

Today wasn’t about luck, Leicester were there for the taking. There wasn’t a shot on target from either team in the first half hour. We never got going and just gifted them the game. Leicester will not have an easier 90 minutes all season.

They won this game on a totally brainless foul and a cross that should never lead to a goal.
Not saying we lost through bad luck. Saying that if you base your attack (your ability to win points) on your ability to defend (your likelihood of not conceding goals) then at some stage, in this league for certain, you will run out of luck.

Why we were being written off while at top of the league and with good reason.

What I also dislike is the ore match interview with Jose . He says the same shite every game “it’s just one match that we will play to win and it’s a tough opponent”. The next 90 mins normally go to dispel that for the most part. I have no idea what he tells the players before the game but he certainly isn’t charging them up to go out impose themselves on the opposition , to run faster or bust a guy in closing down. I’m getting sick and tired of us having nearly the whole tram back in our third and yet the opposition still find their players in our box. We make no effort to actually close down players to prevent a pass or a cross.

Back
Top Bottom