Hope?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The hope is that there is still a lot of talent on the club, we are still one of the biggest clubs in the league and with an effective manager, which we can get, things will get much better.

Yes changes need to be made but it isn't like we have maxed out our resources and have reached the peak of our clubs ceiling. There are hard moves to be made but they are clear and it is certainly possible to make the needed changes.

The blueprint is there, we have had success under different managers and players. The changes can be made and success reached again.
We have not had success for 30 years with the exception of 2 league cups

If by hope you mean do I think we can win a Premier League or CL in the near future then no. I believed we could in Poch's heyday.

If Kane goes we are fucked for even longer as there's no way we invest the money well.

But I think there's still hope we can get back into the top 4 with some smart investment in personnel.

Chelsea, City and United look well set to control the top 3 spots but we can make a run at 4th next season if we sort out the defence which, considering they're nearly all shit, is no easy task.

Liverpool look to be coming to the end of their cycle.

I do think there'll be another couple of seasons of transition though.

At this moment, no hope whatsoever, especially with Jose in charge. The end of the season can't come soon enough for me. Even the final is of scant consolation, as we can't be there.
Once we get back into the stadium with a new coach, maybe I can start hoping again, but feel it's going to take a couple of seasons to steady the ship - our problems aren't going to be fixed overnight :(

Only hope I can give is if the worst situation possible happens and he remains in the Summer. For some reason a lot of players would be attracted to playing under him.

But honestly No there isn't much hope its a shit situation.
If he ends up getting sacked good but Levy doesn't want to pull the trigger so we'll have to be in real shit for him to get sacked. It won't be easy for the new manager to pick up the club.

The truth is that we’re not going to win major trophies with the current strategy. Fans measure success through trophies. Levy and ENIC measure success through profit.

Under ENIC we will never do a Leeds. But we’ll never do a City either.

We have not had success for 30 years with the exception of 2 league cups

Depends on your definition of success.

For me the Poch years had plenty of success and amazing football. It was a joy to watch and I was happy to be a supporter of the club. There were some great times under Harry as well.

If you want to measure success against City/RM/Bayern then you will never be happy, We will not reach those heights. There is nothing we can do to get there.

Yes

1. We have the best facilities in all of football with our stadium and training ground

2 we have a core of talented players (if underperforming) in Kane, Son, Bale, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Regulion, Aurier, Rodon, Lloris, Lucas, Hojbjerg plus some others who could under be useful under the right circumstances such as Skipp, Bergwijn, Vinnie, Sessegnon.

3 we have a bundle of deadwood to sell to generate money as well as free wages. Potentially Including Sissoko, Winks, Dier, Dele, Davies, Rose, Lamela, Sanchez. That is probably around 60-70m plus a lot of free wages that can be used to sign new players

4 along with Skipp we have some decent youngest such as Devine and Scarlett who look like they could be future stars for us.

We totally lack direction in a football sense though. Jose was a crazy choice considering he needs hundreds of millions to spend. Our scouting and managerial choices leave a lot to be desired and while Levy is good at the finance and infrastructure side he shown to be out of depth on the football side. This is no accident, he knows no more about football than you or me, he was not a player or a coach. We badly need a director of football and for him to be given major control of the football side.
We have more shit players in our squad than quality.
2 seasons 2 managers and still the same gutless performances week after week.
We have 2 or 3 players that are good enough to challange for honours the rest of the squad are mid table rubbish.
Oliver Skipp will walk into this team next season a good young player with very little experience.
That is a very scary thought because the central pair of Ndombele and Lo Celso cost close on £100 million

Its not a massive project though.

We need a new manager and at least 5 or 6 good players. I'd say that's well on it's way to being a project, or at least any new manager might see it like that. We have two world-class players at the end of the day.

For me the Poch years had plenty of success and amazing football. It was a joy to watch and I was happy to be a supporter of the club. There were some great times under Harry as well.

If you want to measure success against City/RM/Bayern then you will never be happy, We will not reach those heights. There is nothing we can do to get there.
There is only 1 definition of success and it is not finishing 4th or losing finals or semi finals.
We are a weak minded club with even weaker minded fans like you who think finishing in the top 4 is a success.

Exactly this. Be competitive, play good football, look forward to the next game. I was happy with that for 3 seasons under Redknapp and the last 4 under Poch. I'd like to win some trophies but would anyone in their right mind trade this joyless, drab season with a league cup win for whole seasons of great football and finishing 2nd/3rd/4th? I'd even take Jols 2 5th place finishes, at least it was a laugh back then.

This season definitely not. The cup final is already lost and we won’t be getting top 4. Hope for next season possibly ? Yes, if we can get rid of Mourinho ASAP and draft in Nagelsmann, plus keep Harry Kane and buy a whole new defence. Then, we are possibly talking. I look forward to a Mourinho free Spurs team next season and hopefully a better defence. It’s a complete shambles right now .

We need a new manager and at least 5 or 6 good players. I'd say that's well on it's way to being a project, or at least any new manager might see it like that. We have two world-class players at the end of the day.

Sure its a project that isn't under debate but it isn't a major project in my mind. .We have enough pieces and quality that it isn't a total lost cause.

Bringing in the right manager right off the bat takes care of a lot of the work. Add in a quality CB and again right there is a massive upgrade. If those were the only two things done we are likely competing for the top 4 next season. And it is unlikely those are the only two things.

It isn't going to be easy and will take making the right decisions but the pieces are in place for this team to be competing for the top 4 next season, competitive in domestic Cups and competitive in any European football we may qualify for.

I am not sure what your expectations are but for me that sounds pretty good for next year.

Now we could easily fuck it up, bring back Jose bring in Vestergaard, Fellani, Skriniar and Vazquez in the offseason and struggle again.

There is only 1 definition of success and it is not finishing 4th or losing finals or semi finals.
We are a weak minded club with even weaker minded fans like you who think finishing in the top 4 is a success.

No there is multiple definitions of success. Or are you claiming basically every club in the world never experiences success?

It is ridiculous to say that last year was not a success for Sheffield United. they didn't come close to winning titles, or even making finals.

My opinions also have no effect on the club. It isn't like Levy was about to go out and buy Haaland, Sancho, Dias, Ramos and Mbappe but then changed his mind because I said I enjoyed supporting the club when Poch was in charge.

Top 4 is a success because it is what is needed to build the finances and attract the players needed for greater accomplishments. No where did I say we could only get top 4 and no more. But it is stupid to be so short sighted to think that the only way to be happy is if you win titles. That there can't be more to supporting a club than titles and Cups only.

At this moment, no hope whatsoever, especially with Jose in charge. The end of the season can't come soon enough for me. Even the final is of scant consolation, as we can't be there.
Once we get back into the stadium with a new coach, maybe I can start hoping again, but feel it's going to take a couple of seasons to steady the ship - our problems aren't going to be fixed overnight :(
How sad as Spurs fans thinking if only we had smart owners like David Sullivan , who could hire a much better manager on probably a tenth of the cost
That may not be the case, but it sure feels that way with the dinosaur plumbing new depths of negativity every game

No there is multiple definitions of success. Or are you claiming basically every club in the world never experiences success?

It is ridiculous to say that last year was not a success for Sheffield United. they didn't come close to winning titles, or even making finals.

My opinions also have no effect on the club. It isn't like Levy was about to go out and buy Haaland, Sancho, Dias, Ramos and Mbappe but then changed his mind because I said I enjoyed supporting the club when Poch was in charge.

Top 4 is a success because it is what is needed to build the finances and attract the players needed for greater accomplishments. No where did I say we could only get top 4 and no more. But it is stupid to be so short sighted to think that the only way to be happy is if you win titles. That there can't be more to supporting a club than titles and Cups only.
Prior to this season we had 4 years of Champions league money and we have declined massively.
We have spent massive amounts of money on shit players like I have been telling you all along

Back
Top Bottom