Pie&Mash shop in the High Rd

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think when you remember an area when it was a bit rough around the edges,you don't like the hipster incursion.When you don't they are tolerable.I don't like thenm in Shoreditch either,as i remember when it wasn't like it is now.
I think definitely some truth to this, I do remember Shoreditch being an edgier place though, not well as it was never somewhere I spent much time but can remember it...I was born in 85 so when I was 10-20 years old those parts of London were different to how they are today. I think with Tottenham it's partly with it being a bit rough around the edges, but it's also just because it's an area that's always been close to my heart, obviously through Spurs but also one side of my family is all from here going back at least 5 generations, I've lived here for nearly 10 years now and was never very far away, growing up in Edmonton and then Palmers Green.

When I lived in Palmers Green, which is where I mainly grew up (parents still live there), Tottenham was always a bit more of a rougher and more exciting area, so yeah...it's strange to see that change.

It is then certain that our paths must have crossed at some point.Tottenham home game/pool in Crooked Billet/Stow/Curry was a pretty regular Saturday for me throughout the 80s!!
Then I got married and had children and those halcyon days quickly came to and end!!
Absolute crime that the Stow went. Still can't get over it.
Also used to be bar football in the Billet. I'm sure one of the punters in there was a pro. Could never beat the sod!
Used be mainly Spurs in there, would get a few Spammers.
Remember when they went down in '78 and someone had written "we'll be back" on a wall outside. Spurs bloke put 'when" and a laughing face.
Funny how you remember things like that.

Its a light cake ,like a maderia made with pink icing.Originally made in the Quakers house in Tottenham High road for as a treat for the poor kids of the area.The icing was coloured and flavoured from beries off a tree in the garden of the Quaker house.I will look it up and find out exactly what berries they are.

Greggs sell it ,if you want to know what it looks like.
EDIT
NN beat me to it.
I remember they used to sell it in the bakery opposite the old Park Hotel at Northumberland Park.
Percy Ingle in Bruce Grove also sold it. Shame that's now closed down.

I think definitely some truth to this, I do remember Shoreditch being an edgier place though, not well as it was never somewhere I spent much time but can remember it...I was born in 85 so when I was 10-20 years old those parts of London were different to how they are today. I think with Tottenham it's partly with it being a bit rough around the edges, but it's also just because it's an area that's always been close to my heart, obviously through Spurs but also one side of my family is all from here going back at least 5 generations, I've lived here for nearly 10 years now and was never very far away, growing up in Edmonton and then Palmers Green.

When I lived in Palmers Green, which is where I mainly grew up (parents still live there), Tottenham was always a bit more of a rougher and more exciting area, so yeah...it's strange to see that change.
Strange how a lot of people see Tottenham and Palmers Green as being miles apart, geographically.
Yet the two areas actually border each other.

I remember they used to sell it in the bakery opposite the old Park Hotel at Northumberland Park.
Percy Ingle in Bruce Grove also sold it. Shame that's now closed down.
Percy ingle's are all going.The younger members of the family have no interest in carrying on.Such a shame.
Much better than Greggs.
There's an old school independant bakers up the Angel end of Essex road in Islington that sells Tottenham cake,which always cheers me up considering where it was.One of the old dears that worked in there was bang on Spurs as well,and didnt mind letting people know about it as well. :)

Strange how a lot of people see Tottenham and Palmers Green as being miles apart, geographically.
Yet the two areas actually border each other.
We used to play in the Spider Web park as kids. There used to be tennis courts there back then...next to the old Greentrees hospital.

Depending on the era, you'd have walked past the old Wonderloaf bakery at the junction with Perth Road.
Used to love that smell of fresh bread wafting out into the air.
I lived in Maryland road ,N22years back, which borders N13.Use to love a walk to the ground,up Maryland Rd ,onto Wolves lane, then White Hart Lane.
Particurly enjoyable early and late season.

Depending on the era, you'd have walked past the old Wonderloaf bakery at the junction with Perth Road.
Used to love that smell of fresh bread wafting out into the air.
Think that was before my time in the area.Though i recall similar around Brimsdown way when i was a kid.I remember going there late at night with a cousin to get a loaf,after we had all gone back to my aunties after a night out.

Is that the old Spoons pub? Never understood why they closed that one,then a few years later opened the Alfred Herring just up the road.
Yes that's right. I never understood it either. They opened the other one whilst the Hog was under different management, i.e. not Spoons, and then took all its custom away and it had to close. The Whole Hog was run by really nice people and the Alfred Herring wasn't. They banned a load of the local characters who had serious mental health issues and who relied on the Whole Hog in various ways...sounds weird but it kept some people alive through giving them food and social interaction, it was a true local rather than a generic pub.

Just done the stadium tour, sky walk and edge drop, finished off in the Pie & Mash shop.
Cracking grub and a nice chap.
Never had liquor before so nothing to compare it to, but I loved it.

Back
Top Bottom