Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's always penny pinching with Levy. Like Poch said, aiming high is about being brave and spending money, filling our "amazing house" with furniture to match.

Levy is still trying to operate the way he did 10 years go as if we are still a minnow team stuck in a tiny stadium. We played in the CL for 4 straight seasons and reached a final. We have the fanciest stadium and training facilities in the world. We have two of the best forwards in the world and one of the best goalkeepers. We play in the most-watched league, we are the 8th richest team in the world. What is the point in all that if we are not going to bring our coaching and playing staff up to the same standard?

We could have fucked off the stadium, stayed at WHL and spent all that money on top players and maybe we'd have won some trophies in the last 5 years. I'd rather that than play Europa Conference in a half-full mega-stadium with no Kane and Roberto Martinez in the dugout, no trophies to show for all that hassle.

We’ve out grown levy.

If Conte really didn't come because he didn't have a big budget that for me says a lot more about him than the club.
Surely the best managers in the world are those who are able to get the best out of a smaller budget.
If you can just buy the best players then of course you would be successful but apart from Chelsea/Man City that's not how football works.
The fact that Conte is not up for a challenge suggests a lot about him. In fact compare it to Poch who was willing to leave Neymar/Mbappe etc.. and come back here.
That says a lot for me.
Have to say, that occurred to me too...

He's kinda letting the world know what kind of 'manager' he is: "Gimme all the money in the world, Like City/Chelsea do, and I'll win something...

Give me decent players and expect me to COACH them into being better players... bye, see ya, what time's the next train outta here?

Bloke wants it easy.... I'm sure he was quoted as saying he only "...went for the difficult jobs" ....in that case, why doesn't he apply to Wrexham, and try and get them back in the league next season...? THEY'VE got Hollywood backing!!!

Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day...
Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll eat foir life...
But just give the man the entire SEA, and a manned fishing trawler with on-board chef to catch and cook the fish for you, then why do you need the first two?

Conte just wants his own fishing trawler, and isn't prepared to do the hard work himself.

THAT'S my analogy!

We could have fucked off the stadium, stayed at WHL and spent all that money on top players and maybe we'd have won some trophies in the last 5 years. I'd rather that than play Europa Conference in a half-full mega-stadium with no Kane and Roberto Martinez in the dugout, no trophies to show for all that hassle.

We could have built the stadium, spent all the money you are talking about on players and Joe Lewis would still be one of the richest men "in" Britain and the club would have made their money back off the stadium from all the events and property development around it easily.

He's kinda letting the world know what kind of 'manager' he is: "Gimme all the money in the world, Like City/Chelsea do, and I'll win something...

Give me decent players and expect me to COACH them into being better players... bye, see ya, what time's the next train outta here?

Bloke wants it easy.... I'm sure he was quoted as saying he only "...went for the difficult jobs" ....in that case, why doesn't he apply to Wrexham, and try and get them back in the league next season...? THEY'VE got Hollywood backing!!!

But just give the man the entire SEA, and a manned fishing trawler with on-board chef to catch and cook the fish for you, then why do you need the first two?

Conte just wants his own fishing trawler, and isn't prepared to do the hard work himself.

THAT'S my analogy!

The scales have fallen from my eyes.

I still believe this could happen, Conte is an enigma and Levy is a stubborn man - this may all be for negotiating tactics.

Even if he did it, and I agree with StripiestPilot StripiestPilot that he will not swallow his pride, what a moronic way to handle this and typical of Levy that we would waste a week where we could be getting our targeted players in and starting off an already tenuous relationship off by needless antagonizing our new manager.

In the context of a brand new super duper Blue & Yellow fazztastic ITK miraculously materializing on SC, I have some simple questions;

Why do ITKs always display atrocious spelling?

Is this part of Levy's Job Description - thou shalt not be able to shpell shimple English words?

And why do ITKs always display abysmal geographical knowledge?

One of the clowns, I think it was dragon, repeatedly told us Mourinho's downfall was a result of losing to the "Serbian" club. When any fule knows that Dinamo Zagreb are Croatian. I mean it's not like they fought a bloody civil war or anything.

We could have built the stadium, spent all the money you are talking about on players and Joe Lewis would still be one of the richest men "in" Britain and the club would have made their money back off the stadium from all the events and property development around it easily.
Until I'm blue in the face, even if we'd put the entire stadium cost on a credit card the stadium gives us more money to spend, not less.

THAT'S my analogy!

But a new manager doesn't need a big budget to make Spurs miles better than everyone else. The new guy needs to spend big because we were barely deserving of 7th place in the league and got smashed in the Europa League by a nobody team with a manager in the nick.

£200m worth of players coming in is to get Spurs up there with a chance against the likes of City and Liverpool. You can't coach Eric Dier etc. to be better, they are fully formed professionals and frankly, way too shit to begin with.

Conte is the type of manager that wants to win the league, not make up the numbers. And to win the league, you need the players. Klopp needed it, Liverpool just got lucky that they were able to mug Barca for Coutinho, and then spend £200m on a goal keeper, centre-half and defensive midfielder (Alisson, VVD and Fabinho). He didn't try and coach the other clown they had in goal and Lovren, he upgraded them because you need top players to be a force. Sometimes you can get great players cheap, but mostly you have to spend the money.

Levy isn't interested in winning anything, his ambition is for Spurs to get top 4 with as little spending as he can get away with. And this is where he and Conte differ.

Some fans excuse this because...well I don't know why actually. Spurs fans pay among the highest ticket prices in world football and get fleeced at every turn. You'd think, with an owner with a $1billion art collection, the fans would be asking why we can't match the ambition of Conte.

THAT'S my analogy!
The top teams will blow your trawler out the water with their army of frigates , battleships and submarines, that’s my analogy

If Conte really didn't come because he didn't have a big budget that for me says a lot more about him than the club.
Surely the best managers in the world are those who are able to get the best out of a smaller budget.
If you can just buy the best players then of course you would be successful but apart from Chelsea/Man City that's not how football works.
The fact that Conte is not up for a challenge suggests a lot about him. In fact compare it to Poch who was willing to leave Neymar/Mbappe etc.. and come back here.
That says a lot for me.

Except he isn't like Jose asking for 500 million to bring in 11 world class players because he can;t make players better he is asking for a reasonable amount to bring the team that just finished 7th in the league closer to the level of the teams in the top 4.

If Poch comes in he is going to ask for a big spend as well.

There have been zero reports that Conte was asking for anything that wasn't totally reasonable and what everyone here thinks the new manager should get.

THAT'S my analogy!

The two bolded things aren't true at all, in fact the comment in between in which you mock him is exactly what he is willing to do and has done in the past.

The two bolded things aren't true at all, in fact the comment in between in which you mock him is exactly what he is willing to do and has done in the past.
I kinda see your point, and fair play for pulling me up on mine...
but WHY, if that's the case did he leave Inter, the moment financial restrictions were put in place, and then, by all accounts, 'turn us down' (if you believe the media) when it became obvious we would be operating under a similarly tight budget? ...or maybe we turned HIM down?

I just wish Hoddle had've been a better manager for us... he'd still be here.... preparing for our '10 in a Row' season!

Back
Top Bottom