Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
In that case Pep, Conti, Jose, Ancelloti and few others have been doing it wrong.

Maybe I have misunderstood but majority of their players, are purchased to fit their idea. The sporting director does all the "dirty work" but they say, "......is who I want. Make it happen".

For example, Harry Kane, Pep has said he want him. He didn't ask for a sticker and get Vinnicius. He said what he wants and that's what he gets.
Pep doesn't say who he wants. He says WHAT he wants.

For example, Ruben Dias, signing of the summer, right? Pep wasn't spending his very scarce time scouting CB's all over the continent. In working with his technical staff it was clear a CB was needed, Txiki Begiristain and his staff identified Dias as someone with the qualities necessary to thrive in the kind of football the whole operation has been built around playing, and Begiristain went out and made the deal.

Pep is a figure of such stature at City that if he wanted to kill the deal, I dunno, he probably could have (maybe not, who knows). But why would he? He is in full alignment with City's technical staff who he worked with at Barcelona and who brought him to the club, and there is total trust in both directions.

Maybe it is Pep that wants Kane, but if the cost in money and/or players doesn't fit with City's project, it's not going to happen. It would only get to that point if there was alignment between all the relevant parties anyway, and a deal of that magnitude obviously bears a higher degree of scrutiny.

A manager going to the board and saying "get me player X and player Y" is dinosaur age stuff.

Last edited:

Esher Stairs FC

indiana-jones-face-melting-gif.gif

It's a hell of a lot easier to look like geniuses when your competition is Birmingham City rather than Manchester City.

The fact of the matter is, the PL is currently probably the strongest league in the history of the sport. The teams in front of us are both very rich and besides United very smart. And there are numerous other clubs with very well funded and smart projects.

Levy's whole schtick in football is that he's Mr. Business Guy and he can outsmart everyone. There was some real truth to that in 2001 when he bought the club. It's gone. We're dumb money now, and even if we start acting like our competition that only brings us level and money will tell the tale.
I really disagree. Very little of the Premier League is smart money. If it was, we'd have never achieved what we did with Pochettino, or what other clubs are achieving now. Money doesn't tell the whole story, because it's how the money is used that matters. If it was only about money, MUFC would've walked the League every year, Woolwich would still be a contender, and City, with unlimited resources, would be unstopable. This hasn't happened because most of it isn't very smart.

If this indicates that Paratici has binned Hitchen's list and is authorized to make the appointment himself, and quickly, this is a good thing.

Regardless, we still kinda run into the problem that the market is not loaded with appealing options that fit our criteria.

Yes that is a good thing but shouldn't Paratici basically have the majority of the work done already considering his years in football and I assume knowing he will be taking this job?

Maybe it will all happen fast but we hear about the manager search taking 7-10 days then we need to wait for the manager to make player decisions. To me having Paratici should make all that go a hell of a lot faster.

What kind of manager is he going to bring in that doesn't agree with his view on players?

If this indicates that Paratici has binned Hitchen's list and is authorized to make the appointment himself, and quickly, this is a good thing.

Regardless, we still kinda run into the problem that the market is not loaded with appealing options that fit our criteria.
I mean, if we want to get a decent manager, even if that manager is currently employed by another team, we have to move now. No team will allow their manager to leave in the middle of pre-season.

I really disagree. Very little of the Premier League is smart money. If it was, we'd have never achieved what we did with Pochettino, or what other clubs are achieving now. Money doesn't tell the whole story, because it's how the money is used that matters. If it was only about money, MUFC would've walked the League every year, Woolwich would still be a contender, and City, with unlimited resources, would be unstopable. This hasn't happened because most of it isn't very smart.
It's changed a lot in recent years and continues to.

Liverpool went from dumb to very smart since the time Poch arrived at Spurs.
Chelsea went from dumb to kinda-sorta smart.
City went from smart-ish to fully formed best run club on earth.
Leicester was always smart but gained massive resources to work with.
Everton's still dumb but they have Spurs-level money if not more to work with.
Villa got smart, West Ham got semi-smart.

The degree of technical sophistication both in coaching and in scouting and recruitment at PL clubs is night and day versus what it was even 10 years ago. The PL isn't dumber than the continent anymore, it's the other way around if anything.

We'll see.

It seems a lot of what Brentford did was bring in guys that were talented and needed time to develop, being in the Championship allowed them to do that. It will be much harder for them to identify those same players and have them develop in the PL to the sell on and fund their system.

Maybe they are smarter than everyone else and will be able to do it, but they would be far from the first team to have a good set-up in the Championship and then see it doesn't work as well when they get to the PL.

true but if you have insane amounts of money and I mean money to pay big transfers/agent fees/wages you get more easily get the best players who are far less likely to fail and even if they do you can sell them quickly at a loss and get someone else in. It completely changes the dynamic, you can throw shit at a wall continuously until it sticks, see City and Chelsea.

There are ways around it if you don’t have vast wealth and that is to be like Leicester or to some degree even Liverpool and have a very smart in terms of training/system/use of youth players/scouting etc but for that you need a clear and well thought out vision. Something Poch did for the club and made us look a lot better for but even that requires some good degree of backing.

Yes that is a good thing but shouldn't Paratici basically have the majority of the work done already considering his years in football and I assume knowing he will be taking this job?

Maybe it will all happen fast but we hear about the manager search taking 7-10 days then we need to wait for the manager to make player decisions. To me having Paratici should make all that go a hell of a lot faster.

What kind of manager is he going to bring in that doesn't agree with his view on players?
If things are as we hope they are there should be a lot of action happening in very short order.

let’s face it we have built the stadium and become the white and blue Woolwich, half broke and without a plan. We have become what we feared but without a few trophies from the 00’s.

Back
Top Bottom