Gennaro Gattuso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you be happy with Gattuso as manager

• Total voters
Or we just have no direction, no plan and are a complete mess

When every reliable journo is saying we're in talks with someone, more than likely we're actually in talks with them

No other club jumps in and out of talks with this many managers, but then again no other club doesn't sign a player at the 11th hour because of "image rights"

Who says he is reliable?

Seems like the sort of character that just gets fed by agents to me, Ive never understood why everyone just hangs on his words all the time.

Who said there were "talks" with Gattuso, at least - substantive ones. I mean I saw tweets saying within literally a couple of hours a deal was signed/offered. Clearly thats shite.

Far more likely, if anything, we chatted to him to sound him out. And thats probably it.

Seems he was off on holiday before coming over (+ quarantine), and there were stories of him delaying for tax reasons.
There did to be some minor issues with tax issues; but Alasdair Gold said that both Fonseca's camp and Spurs officials told him that this was not the reason the managerial search broke down. The BBC also reported this and corroborated what Gold said.

If you want to be really conspiratorial about Gattuso, who is to say we didnt tap him up leading to his falling out with Fiorentina? Was it really an opportunistic move with him becoming unexpectedly available?
Of course this is possible. But that cements my point about him clearly being the #1 choice yesterday, hence we fucked over Fonseca.

Or, maybe, one manager fell through, we spoke to one that was available, and thats about it?
Timing is a massive coincidence. Very far fetched. Would also mean that Alasdair Gold and BBC are both wrong.

Doesnt need to be the great whirlwind of the club acting like cunts, a deal being almost certainly done - only for the club to react to fan backlash at the prospect.... does it? I mean, doesnt occams razor ever apply?
Sounds like Spurs to me.

I mean I saw tweets saying within literally a couple of hours a deal was signed/offered. Clearly thats shite.
Yep, there were tweets from unreliable journalists claiming the deal had already been signed. That was clearly BS, and I didn't report those tweets, or put it in the OP.
Big difference between reliable journalists and unreliable ones.

Who says he is reliable?

Seems like the sort of character that just gets fed by agents to me, Ive never understood why everyone just hangs on his words all the time.

Who said there were "talks" with Gattuso, at least - substantive ones. I mean I saw tweets saying within literally a couple of hours a deal was signed/offered. Clearly thats shite.

Far more likely, if anything, we chatted to him to sound him out. And thats probably it.
Literally every reliable journo and every news publication you can think of said yesterday we were in talks with Gattuso , a quick google search will show you that.

Far more likely is we saw Gatussohad left fiorentina, Paratici is obviously a fan and said we should ditch fonseca and go for him, the club as usual acted on impulse went ahead with it, without realising there would be such a massive backlash, they then got cold feet and pulled out.

There did to be some minor issues with tax issues; but Alasdair Gold said that both Fonseca's camp and Spurs officials told him that this was not the reason the managerial search broke down. The BBC also reported this and corroborated what Gold said.

Of course this is possible. But that cements my point about him clearly being the #1 choice yesterday, hence we fucked over Fonseca.

Timing is a massive coincidence. Very far fetched. Would also mean that Alasdair Gold and BBC are both wrong.

Sounds like Spurs to me.

The BBC are no more reliable than The Sun, HITC or Footballfancast. They are essentially a tabloid these days and their reputation is no longer deserved.

We dont actually know why talks broke down with Fonseca, which means we dont know if it was on him or us.

Lets be honest, Gattuso coming up isnt like Conte having a sudden change of heart is it? Id argue Fonseca is the better manager, and Im pretty sure most would agree Gattuso isnt so superior we HAVE to jump to him.

If it was a completely obvious upgrade Id agree with the line of us switching targets, in this case it just doesnt jive for me.

Yes, it is possible we saw what we thought was a better option. It is just as possible we were committed to the Fonseca deal and it fell through for other reasons - maybe even because of him and not us.

Just as the whole Gattuso scenario, what is more likely?

1) Deal collapses with manager. Club chats to available manager, feels out what he is about/how he fits/what he wants, goes away to think about it. Decides against.

2) Club ditches manager all but signed and sealed, agrees a contract with Gattuso virtually instantly - to the satisfaction of all parties, sees sudden swell of bad feeling in the fanbase and immediately pulls out leaving itself stranded.

Yep, there were tweets from unreliable journalists claiming the deal had already been signed. That was clearly BS, and I didn't report those tweets, or put it in the OP.
Big difference between reliable journalists and unreliable ones.

Literally every reliable journo and every news publication you can think of said yesterday we were in talks with Gattuso , a quick google search will show you that.

Far more likely is we saw Gatussohad left fiorentina, Paratici is obviously a fan and said we should ditch fonseca and go for him, the club as usual acted on impulse went ahead with it, without realising there would be such a massive backlash, they then got cold feet and pulled out.

Define 'Reliable' - because IMHO - those are like hens teeth and rocking horse shit.

Its more you choose who to believe, and usually thats based upon ones leaning in the first place.

Look around the forum, anyone who hates Levy instantly believes any story that supports that, its just the nature of things.

As I said above, Gattuso is not a gamechanger, he just isnt, so the idea of us ditching one meh manager for another just doesnt add up.

Im pretty sure I saw 'reliable journos' saying Paratici was a fan of Fonseca too...

What do you think happened then?

Do you think the whole Gattuso links were made up?

It's far more likely that we were genuinely considering him, but Spurs got frightened when they saw fan reaction to his controversial comments.
No, he was maybe spoken to but was never a genuine candidate. Levy would never appoint someone like Gattuso, don't believe all these Italian journos tweeting gobshite every time they hear we are speaking to someone

The BBC are no more reliable than The Sun, HITC or Footballfancast. They are essentially a tabloid these days and their reputation is no longer deserved.
That's not just true at all. Can you cite some Spurs stories reported by the BBC that turned out to be BS? Because I can name 10 in the past week by HITC and Footballfancast.

We dont actually know why talks broke down with Fonseca, which means we dont know if it was on him or us.
We fucked him over. Why would he fuck us over? Even if you ignore the fact that all the reliable journalists reported that we were to blame, the alternative makes no sense.

Lets be honest, Gattuso coming up isnt like Conte having a sudden change of heart is it? Id argue Fonseca is the better manager, and Im pretty sure most would agree Gattuso isnt so superior we HAVE to jump to him.
He was Paratici's first choice, over Fonseca.

Well done to all those people who got NoToGattuso trending on social media. I don't do that stuff, but I appreciate the effectiveness that your message has clearly had.

So, Joey Barton here we come.

Define 'Reliable' - because IMHO - those are like hens teeth and rocking horse shit.

Its more you choose who to believe, and usually thats based upon ones leaning in the first place.

Look around the forum, anyone who hates Levy instantly believes any story that supports that, its just the nature of things.

As I said above, Gattuso is not a gamechanger, he just isnt, so the idea of us ditching one meh manager for another just doesnt add up.

Im pretty sure I saw 'reliable journos' saying Paratici was a fan of Fonseca too...
Okay so you just don't believe any journalist has any inside information on anything then, because like I said before if you just do a quick google search you will see every single publication you can name and every journalist was reporting we were in talks with Gattuso. Some were saying it was done, that's obviously been proven to not be true, but its pretty much fact we were in talks.

You don't need to believe every story to have a bad opinion of how Levy has handled this managerial change, the fact we sacked jose in April and were now close to July with no new manager, should be enough for anyone to conclude he hasn't got a clue what he's doing.

No, he was maybe spoken to but was never a genuine candidate. Levy would never appoint someone like Gattuso, don't believe all these Italian journos tweeting gobshite every time they hear we are speaking to someone
So do you think it was a coincidence that Fonseca was ditched at the same time Gattuso became available, or were the Fonseca talks fake too?

I'm not asking you to trust Italian journalists.
The fact we ditched Fonseca for Paratici's #1 (as of yesterday) choice as of yesterday was reported by: Alasdair Gold, The Athletic, and the BBC.
All 3 are reliable, and don't have a track record of making things up. What's the chance that all 3 decided to independently make up the same story?

It's clear that Gattuso was first choice, but he was brought down by the fan outrage over his offensive comments. So if all fans took the position that all journalists are full of shit, and never said anything, he'd probably be being appointed right now.

That's not just true at all. Can you cite some Spurs stories reported by the BBC that turned out to be BS? Because I can name 10 in the past week by HITC and Footballfancast.
The BBC does exactly what they all do, just recirculate other peoples stories, hardly ever even verifying the details.

Its amazing what they can get away with "according to..." "sources say..."

We fucked him over. Why would he fuck us over? Even if you ignore the fact that all the reliable journalists reported that we were to blame, the alternative makes no sense.

We did? How do we know this?

I saw reports we just dropped out, I saw others saying he was messing with us on start dates, why do we instantly believe one but not the other? Because of lines obviously leaked from his camp?

He was Paratici's first choice, over Fonseca.
Says who? "reliable journos"?

Half the board hadnt even heard of Paritici a couple of weeks ago, now we all know exactly what he wants/thinks? Based on the like of Romano.... are we seeing the pattern yet?

Even the links with Fonseca were completely blown out of proportion imo. I don't think he was close at all to being appointed, it's all media internet bullshite that spreads and becomes bigger and bigger when the reality again is that yes a few initial conversations were probably had but no more than that.

Paratici might wanna think about reigning it in a bit now he works over here. Neither Levy nor the fans will view this kind of shit favourably.
It certainly doesn't sit comfortably with Levy's business model of saying bugger all until it's all done & dusted.

Even the links with Fonseca were completely blown out of proportion imo. I don't think he was close at all to being appointed, it's all media internet bullshite that spreads and becomes bigger and bigger when the reality again is that yes a few initial conversations were probably had but no more than that.
I thought a deal was close with Fonseca, but it broke down when he couldn't get the financial tax breaks he was accustomed to in Italy? So, as usual, it was all about a few quid here and a few quid there.

The BBC does exactly what they all do, just recirculate other peoples stories, hardly ever even verifying the details.
This simply isn't true.
There are 1000 big stories on the internet, and 99.9% of them aren't recirculated by the BBC. They only comment on a tiny number of stories, and when they do they have a pretty accurate track record.

I saw reports we just dropped out, I saw others saying he was messing with us on start dates, why do we instantly believe one but not the other? Because of lines obviously leaked from his camp?
Alasdair Gold said that BOTH Fonseca's camp and Spurs officials told him that it was Spurs who pulled the plug and it was nothing to do with start dates, tax policy etc.
He is far more reliable than Italian journalists who have a track record of spewing BS.

Okay so you just don't believe any journalist has any inside information on anything then, because like I said before if you just do a quick google search you will see every single publication you can name and every journalist was reporting we were in talks with Gattuso. Some were saying it was done, that's obviously been proven to not be true, but its pretty much fact we were in talks.

You don't need to believe every story to have a bad opinion of how Levy has handled this managerial change, the fact we sacked jose in April and were now close to July with no new manager, should be enough for anyone to conclude he hasn't got a clue what he's doing.

I believe 99% of journalists have a fraction of the info people credit them with.

I also believe 99% are so desperate to not miss out (on clicks mostly) they will circulate any story they see. Yesterday was a great example, the moment Romano mentioned Gattuso suddenly they all did - this is no coincidence. Its not like they all happened across the story independently, simultaneously, is it?

And define "Talks", because to me that can be a simple conversation to get an indication of things being possible, or it can be serious contract negotiations with an intent to do a deal.

In the space of the few hours we were in "talks" with Gattuso, which do you think is more likely?

Levy has made a mess of this search, absolutely no doubt about it - but that doesnt mean Im inclined to take every click baity tweet as solid info.

We've made such a mess of this managerial search that some people are now resorting to thinking not a single journalist in football has any inside information and that we've not held talks with any manager.

Back
Top Bottom