Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
A PL club should not be the first club to appoint a woman, it sets them up for failure as they will not have the qualifications to do the job.

Even former star players with a full career playing in the PL go to lower teams to learn the game first. That is exactly what a woman who wants to manage in the PL at some point should do.

While there are similarities between mens and womens football there are a lot of differences as well. People have concerns about bringing in ETH from Ajax because of the Dutch League how can we realistically talk about bringing in someone from women's football when the greatest womens team would get destroyed by the worst Eredevsie team.
🤦🏻‍♂️

Why are people conflating playing and managing abilities?

I am not for one minute suggesting we should hire a woman manager just to be the first to do so. BUT if she were the best candidate then just hire her.

devils advocate:

Joan Doe as manager has won the NWSL 3 times on the bounce with 2 different clubs and then the women’s world cup.

Do you pick her or Scott Parker? Ceteris Paribus.

🤦🏻‍♂️

Why are people conflating playing and managing abilities?

I am not for one minute suggesting we should hire a woman manager just to be the first to do so. BUT if she were the best candidate then just hire her.

devils advocate:

Joan Doe as manager has won the NWSL 3 times on the bounce with 2 different clubs and then the women’s world cup.

Do you pick her or Scott Parker? Ceteris Paribus.

To coach a mens team? Parker

I am not conflating playing and managing abilities. I think a woman could easily manage a mens team but they would need the proper background. Managing in the NWSL is not the proper background, managing a Womens International team is not the proper background.

If Scott Parker won 3 NWSL titles and a Women's WC and had never managed a mens team I would say the exact same things about him.

There isn't a woman out there that is close to the best candidate. If Emma Hayes goes to the Championship does well there, then moves up to the PL and does well then lets hire her. But until she shows she can manage the mens game then there is no way we should consider her at all.

We don't want guys like Mason who has no history managing a mens team why would we change our standards for a woman?

To coach a mens team? Parker

I am not conflating playing and managing abilities. I think a woman could easily manage a mens team but they would need the proper background. Managing in the NWSL is not the proper background, managing a Womens International team is not the proper background.

If Scott Parker won 3 NWSL titles and a Women's WC and had never managed a mens team I would say the exact same things about him.

There isn't a woman out there that is close to the best candidate. If Emma Hayes goes to the Championship does well there, then moves up to the PL and does well then lets hire her. But until she shows she can manage the mens game then there is no way we should consider her at all.

We don't want guys like Mason who has no history managing a mens team why would we change our standards for a woman?
Emma Hayes has managed at the pinnacle of women’s club football. (CL finalist). It’s about persuadng players to do what you want them to. If her footballing philosophy matches ours then the fact she hasn’t managed humans with a penis and testicles before matters not one jot to me.

Does she know what she’s talking about?
Can she impart her ideas to her subordinates?

Yes to both will do for me.

Last edited:
Emma Hayes has managed at the pinnacle of women’s club football. (CL finalist). It’s about persuadng players to do what you want them to. If her footballing philosophy matches ours then the fact she hasn’t managed humans with a pens and testicles before matters not one jot to me.

Does she know what she’s talking about?
Can she impart her ideas to her subordinates?

Yes to both will do for me.

That's great for her but has little relevance to Spurs. The womens game is much different to the mens game.

We talk about transitioning from different leagues all time and now we are asking someone to not only transition from a different league but a league that is completely different from the PL.

Why is that relevant for other managers but not her? Why do we expect others to prove themselves but not her?

She hasn't shown any indication that she knows what she is talking when it comes to the mens game. No indication that she can impart her ideas to subordinates in the mens game.

Also didn't someone say she choked the CL final away with a much better team? Is that the manager we want no matter what sex they are?

Surely you can see the issue with Ryan wasn’t that he has no history managing a men’s team, but that he has no experience managing an adult 1st team. Honestly, I dont think academies even care overly about results.

Surely you can see the issue with Ryan wasn’t that he has no history managing a men’s team, but that he has no experience managing an adult 1st team. Honestly, I dont think academies even care overly about results.

Yes he had no history coaching a team like Tottenham mens, youth doesn't matter.

The point is that like Hayes his CV is not anywhere close to what we look for at Spurs.

She hasn't shown any indication that she knows what she is talking when it comes to the mens game. No indication that she can impart her ideas to subordinates in the mens game.
Neither you nor I have ever met her, let alone questioned her on her footballing knowledge/philosophy. So your stance in this point is pretty moot. I have only ever been speaking in hypotheticals.

I suspect our back and forth us coming from different origins.

We talk about transitioning from different leagues all time
I’m not sure who this “we” is, but I don’t recall people questioning the ability of managers to switch between leagues. Players, for sure. But I do t ever remember anyone saying “Oh he’s only ever done it in Ligue Un” as a manager.

Good post.

Also, Levy appointing a woman as head coach at a top club would be great PR for him/ENIC, etc.
Not only that but it would be a brilliant move for him as a proactive stance. So many people would complain less because they would be afraid of coming across as misogynistic, or it is the perfect defense if she wouldn’t be getting results.

He’s in such a bad place with supporters at the moment and this could be such a PR coup that I am legitimately afraid it could happen.

I’m not sure who this “we” is, but I don’t recall people questioning the ability of managers to switch between leagues. Players, for sure. But I do t ever remember anyone saying “Oh he’s only ever done it in Ligue Un” as a manager.

What?

You haven't heard people questioning whether a manager has PL experience? It has been a major issue when it comes to Ten Hag people saying he only has experience in Holland. With Gerrard being in Scotland, Fonseca's success in Ukraine.

I'm not trying to take a shot here but it certainly has been an issue and if you haven't heard it you haven't been paying attention.

Hell with Potter him having PL experience but not at a big enough club is an issue. Well if Brighton played any club that Hayes managed at his team wins by as many goals as they basically want.

Leagues and teams that managers have managed definitely matter and are brought up all the time.

Neither you nor I have ever met her, let alone questioned her on her footballing knowledge/philosophy. So your stance in this point is pretty moot. I have only ever been speaking in hypotheticals.

I suspect our back and forth us coming from different origins.

I don't need to question her footballing knowledge I can see her background to know it is not close to good enough to manage Spurs, this is not an insult to her the same applies to the vast majority of people in the footballing world.

The Spurs job is one of the top jobs in the world, it should be very difficult to get and the qualifications should be elite of any manager applying. She does not have those qualifications, not even close to it.

There are plenty of people here that I agree with their footballing philosophy and knowledge, I don't want them managing Spurs.

This is a key point imo ^

On the other hand, I don't know enough about management or women's football to ascertain the degree of overlap between managing men and women teams.
If you have a philosophy, can you just apply it to both men and women teams equally? Does the physical difference in strength and speed mean that the tactics don't translate.

The day will come when women are coaching men all over the sports world to a degree it's barely even remarkable, it's only a matter of time. Unlike the physical competition of sport, women have no inherent disadvantages to men as coaches.

But this job, at this moment, is not that watershed and is regardless such a poisoned chalice that I'd advise Emma Hayes not to take it.

If that's a step she wants in her career, my advice would be to seek an assistant role with a very well respected manager at a men's club. That elite level of the men's club game is a craft all its own, and that's the best way to both learn it and prove you belong in it.

Please don’t tell me people are sounding out Emma Hayes? Good PR? Errrr no, it would be a total disaster and the club would be ripped to shreds even more than it is now. Imagine trying to convince Harry Kane to stay and play under Emma Hayes. I mean ffs, have people lost their mind ? Women’s football is women’s football , end of story. Would men play against Women in a Wimbledon final in tennis ? No. PC Bolloks gone bonkers. If this ridiculous idea would ever to occur, Emma Hayes would have to start in the lower depths of league football and certainly shouldn’t be suddenly propelled into the biggest league in the world just because she manages chelsea women. Thankfully, even for someone as incompetent as Daniel Levy, even he’s not stupid enough to do this. I know we are desperate and this managerial situation is a shambles, but fuck me Emma Hayes, really ? Nothing against her personally, as she’s fantastic for the women’s game and a great role model. Managing men’s football in the premier league ? Just No

Last edited:
I’m as frustrated as the next guy, but this philosophical digression is quite the departure from what I expected to see in this thread today.

Back
Top Bottom