Let’s Face It - We’re Barely a Top 10 Team Now

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where do you rate our First 11?

• Total voters
Manager is still critical, you have Brighton in 4th and looking value for it with a weaker squad. They are far better coached. We can obviously significantly improve the squad but it pointless without a plan.

We just have to ride the storm.

The importance is the right manager and 2 or 3 really good acquisitions.

Getting the model right to attract the right players is the key.

We are in this situation simply because we failed to win when we had the players.

What we need for the short term is to ensure we don't get sucked into relegation battles whilst we get the right bits in place.

yeah.. so not exactly "barely a top 10 team".

What did people really expect after today's game anyway. I think we have a run of games now, where we should be able to bag most of the points, and get the team bedded in. We are going through a transition phase with this team.. so no one should be expecting a CL top 4 spot with the squad that we have at present.

We are not in a transition phase. We signed a manager with a similar playstyle and signed at best two players who will compete for starting places. Had we brought in Potter, sold Kane, moved on a bunch of dross and genuinely gone out and changed the squad, that would be transitional. We're just on the same downward climb we have been for a while.

I don't think anybody expects top 4. I don't know a single fan irl who thought we'd do it. What they do expect is to not dread watching games, to see some sort of long term plan in place to halt our decline, and a bit of ambition shown.

None of that has happened.

You have top 4, then about 7 others that are much of a muchness. I dont see us as any better than West Ham, Aston Villa, Everton and despite the hilarous first 3 games Woolwich. In fact their side has a better balance to it, but like us they have no squad and an average manager.

We just have to ride the storm.

The importance is the right manager and 2 or 3 really good acquisitions.

Getting the model right to attract the right players is the key.

We are in this situation simply because we failed to win when we had the players.

What we need for the short term is to ensure we don't get sucked into relegation battles whilst we get the right bits in place.
The problem is the time to attract the players was when we were in the CL and still competitive for top 4. Now we aren't close to that. Good players don't want to join a side in the ECL.
We'll have to go for potential, which given our transfer record recently i don't feel too confident about. Paratici will need to be a miracle worker here and that's asking a lot.

I do think Romero, Gil, and Emerson all look like good signings. But really we’ve left ourselves so short attacking wise. Just look at what our bench looks like with just Moura and Bergwijn unavailable. Absolute poverty.

We are desperate for a starting level RW, a creative midfielder, and a backup striker. I know Traore divided opinion but I still think he’d be ideal. We are desperately lacking players who try to make things happen and play on the front foot. It’s why a half fit Ndombele sticks out so much, because he’s so progressive in his style.

Still feels like there’s so much to do in the “rebuild”. I think we still need:
  • Doherty replacement at back up RB
  • Ball playing center half, preferably left footed
  • Box to box midfield in addition to Sarr
  • Creative CAM
  • Starting RW
  • Back up striker, as always

I thought we would come 6th or 7th before the season started, now I think 7th or 8th. I still think we finish above Woolwich. 7th playing this brand of football is inexcusably poor. We need to try and land the ECL, probably our best chance of getting Europa football, and certainly our best chance of silverware.

Our first 11 today was arguably the strongest we can muster with possibly Moura/Gil for Dele. Our bench however was an absolute embarrassment while the performance came well short

Take Kane and Son out and we’re barely a Top 10 team. In fact I would argue Leicester ane Everton have more BALANCED squads at the moment and most certainly far better managers

The Top 5 aside - where do you rate our current best 11? I’m going with 8th behind Leicester and Everton and above Woolwich and Wham

Years of underinvestment and the appointment of a PE Teacher as manager has now come full circle
Our transfer activity over the past 3-4 seasons has been absolutely shocking.

Good teams don't just become shit over night, they go shit through a lack of maintenance over a period of time.

We've been buying speculative players from the bargain bin for so long now and now we find ourselves with a squad full of average players.

There is no vision at the club, the club doesn't seem to stand for anything. Somebody made a great point in the match thread about some of the old guard from the Poch days being shot away now, Perhaps its just time to sweep everything clean and rebuild from scratch.

You and I both know that the owners are the problem though

You have top 4, then about 7 others that are much of a muchness. I dont see us as any better than West Ham, Aston Villa, Everton and despite the hilarous first 3 games Woolwich. In fact their side has a better balance to it, but like us they have no squad and an average manager.
West Ham have a game plan and are a very physical and well drilled side, that alone should be enough for them to see us off.

We melt under the slightest bit of pressure

I say somewhere between 5 and 8- barring any black swan disasters. Nuno needs to show some invention and get us attacking the teams that we definitely outclass. This will give him space to do his defensive thing against the teams that we do not outclass. Hope we can figure it out for the sake of the club- would be sad to give up the great gains of the last 10 years.

I do think Romero, Gil, and Emerson all look like good signings. But really we’ve left ourselves so short attacking wise. Just look at what our bench looks like with just Moura and Bergwijn unavailable. Absolute poverty.

We are desperate for a starting level RW, a creative midfielder, and a backup striker. I know Traore divided opinion but I still think he’d be ideal. We are desperately lacking players who try to make things happen and play on the front foot. It’s why a half fit Ndombele sticks out so much, because he’s so progressive in his style.

Still feels like there’s so much to do in the “rebuild”. I think we still need:
  • Doherty replacement at back up RB
  • Ball playing center half, preferably left footed
  • Box to box midfield in addition to Sarr
  • Creative CAM
  • Starting RW
  • Back up striker, as always

Not to buy a striker is an act of criminality which I won't be defending.

When you know the situation with Kane there cam be no excuse not to habe rectified that huge capability gap.

Absolutely horrendous because in ant case scenario you must have players who can out that ball in the net.

I still think we can push for 4th when we get important players back.
Mate, Ledley, Glen and Moussa ain't coming back.

We shall finish bottom half as I predicted. If either Kane son or PEH sustains a serious injury we will be in a relegation scrap.

I said that Nuno would be gone before November but a fluke start has probably delayed that. Gone by Christmas. It won't make a terrific difference who we get in, this squad has average stamped all over it in large red letters.

So much negativity. Think if we can bed in a similar starting XI to what we saw today (which had players not to familiar with the team such as Romero and Royal.. and also players not fully fit.. such as Dier and Son.. ) then I think we should be comfortably in the top 8.
You can see it another way though. Pretty negative to think top 8 is a positive.

I'm thinking 6th or 7th. West Ham are better than us at the moment, we'll be a few points above or below Leicester, Everton won't finish ahead of us, Villa will be close, Woolwich will be close.

Kane and Son, unless things get poisonous, will be the difference between us and most of those teams. I'd be surprised if we're within 10 points of top four.

So, we are giving up on any chance of Romero, Royal, Gil being good? I see some positive things from all three. If they come good, that gives me hope that Paratici can assemble something.

Back
Top Bottom