Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What is world-class then, in your opinion? Outside of Messi, Ronaldo, and everyone's favourite from the German Lad's N' Dad's league, Lewandowski?
People don’t like it when I repeat myself and cry about the length I go to in order to explain why Kane isn’t world class.

Then they ask me the same questions over and over again.

If you’re interested, read my replies.

I’ve answered this about four times.
I could list about 20 world class players that CAN rub shoulders with Ronaldo and Messi.
World class is forever, Kane doesn’t get a pass because Klinsmann and Bergkamp have retired.

Saying “Kane is world class because Messi is too good to judge him against” is utterly pathetic

Which begs the question why people are so offended that I don’t think Kane is

It's the lengths you go to, as I keep saying, that some might be bothered with, not that you don't think he's world-class. It's as if it's personal or something. I don't see why any Tottenham fan would spend so much time ranting about one of our own players, someone who has scored so many goals for the club year after year, as you bizarrely do.

You also make him sound like he's bang average at times.

So, you're on one...

He also scored against Woolwich. Who may not be a great side these days, but they were certainly a lot better than us on the day, and it's a NLD.

And we've only had 3 games against teams you can argue are big this season, so in 2/3 of them he's scored. That's pretty good going. Son is generally a better big game player than Kane for reasons I've mentioned earlier - we play on the counter predominantly vs these sides and the tactic is get him in behind if we can. That's our biggest weapon, whereas Kane is crowded out because you get no space on the ball in these matches.

But being a better big game player doesn't make you a better player .. just more tactically suited to certain scenarios. Most of the season for Spurs you're playing vs sides you are expected to beat, and goals against these teams are worth just as much points wise as ones vs City, Chelsea, United etc.

Kane has scored his fair share in these matches. His record isn't exceptional in big games, but it isn't terrible either. He's also had extremely dominant games against them (like vs City last season) where he hasn't scored but his hold up and support play has been very good.

He also scored against Woolwich. Who may not be a great side these days, but they were certainly a lot better than us on the day, and it's a NLD.

And we've only had 3 games against teams you can argue are big this season, so in 2/3 of them he's scored. That's pretty good going. Son is generally a better big game player than Kane for reasons I've mentioned earlier - we play on the counter predominantly vs these sides and the tactic is get him in behind if we can. That's our biggest weapon, whereas Kane is crowded out because you get no space on the ball in these matches.

But being a better big game player doesn't make you a better player .. just more tactically suited to certain scenarios. Most of the season for Spurs you're playing vs sides you are expected to beat, and goals against these teams are worth just as much points wise as ones vs City, Chelsea, United etc.

Kane has scored his fair share in these matches. His record isn't exceptional in big games, but it isn't terrible either. He's also had extremely dominant games against them (like vs City last season) where he hasn't scored but his hold up and support play has been very good.

The overall point I'm making is that just like Harry, and just like Lewandowski, and just like Haaland, Son also scores the vast majority of his goals against weaker sides than ourselves. Lewandowski does score against plenty of big teams, sure, but he also plays for one of the top few sides in the world who also often dominate big matches and finals.

Does anybody sane actually think Kane wouldn't score even more goals, and score in the bigger games, if he played for a side like Bayern and not Lewandowski?

Nice to see this thread back to normal. I have heavily criticised Kane's actions since before the Villa game last season. Quite glad he did not get the opportunity to add to his England goals against Andorra. Very disappointed with his form this season but we will be a worse team without him as we have no back up and the only other consistent goal scorer is Son.
Having said that there is no way we should contemplate selling him in January as we will not be able to attract a suitable replacement. A lot can happen before next summer but I do not expect MC to come back and Newcastle maybe the only English option.

Seeing as you love your lists, what amazing teams has Son scored against repeatedly? I can guarantee that, just like Harry, most of his goals are scored against worse teams than ourselves.
ManC?

Paul beat me to it!

Viva le Wags

Naming one team though is hardly some big thing. Son has had plenty of games where he's not produced against the bigger sides. Just like Kane.

Since the start of last season Son scored against Woolwich 2 times, Man City 2 times, Man United 2 times and Liverpool once. Whereas Kane scored against United once.

There are areas in which Kane is better and more consistent than Son, but Son has been our bigger game player for a few seasons now.

Son also has 8 match winning goals in the PL since the start of last season..which is more than any other player in the PL in that time.

It's the lengths you go to, as I keep saying, that some might be bothered with, not that you don't think he's world-class. It's as if it's personal or something. I don't see why any Tottenham fan would spend so much time ranting about one of our own players, someone who has scored so many goals for the club year after year, as you bizarrely do.

You also make him sound like he's bang average at times.
He’s worse than bang average at times
Sometimes just bang average
Most of the time meh
Sometimes good
At times he’s world class. Just not very often

Hence my opinion of him.

The lengths I go to is simply a repetition of my opinion, you’ve all said it yourselves.

So the logical solution for you in your ideal world is for you and ten others to quote me as often as you like, but I’m not allowed to reply, as it means I’m a gooner

Scary that your mind genuinely feels that way

Last edited:
Since the start of last season Son scored against Woolwich 2 times, Man City 2 times, Man United 2 times and Liverpool once. Whereas Kane scored against United once.

There are areas in which Kane is better and more consistent than Son, but Son has been our bigger game player for a few seasons now.

Son also has 8 match winning goals in the PL since the start of last season..which is more than any other player in the PL in that time.
This means you support Woolwich and live in Asia though

Decided to look back at peak Kane, 17/18 season. He was a much better player then, but what’s interesting is that he scored 41 goals in a season he played twice against:

Real 0
Liverpool 2 goals
Juve 1 goal
Chelsea 0
Utd 0
City 0
Dortmund 2 goals

14 games, 5 goals against the biggest opponents that season.
Not shabby at all.

Compared to Son, who scored “just” 18 that season, but Son racked up 4 (just one less) against those same big clubs (Dortmund, Juve and Liverpool, the exact same opponents)
*note Son played one less game v Real

Kane got 5 assist that season but 4 were against the big boys (Real, Liverpool, Dortmund and City)

Son got 11 assists that’s season with also 4 against the big boys (Dortmund, Liverpool and Juve)

Anyone remotely interested in Spurs should find this stuff interesting. Take from it what you will, it’s just out there with no weight attached.

Just wondered why someone is going around claiming Son doesn’t produce against big clubs

It’s all good fun. Everyone has their perception at the end of the day, football is a game of opinions.

I think this thread is hilarious, although what happened to KaneDomBadBoy KaneDomBadBoy ?
I got sin binned for a bit for talking shit about ENIC but…

im back GIF

Decided to look back at peak Kane, 17/18 season. He was a much better player then, but what’s interesting is that he scored 41 goals in a season he played twice against:

Real 0
Liverpool 2 goals
Juve 1 goal
Chelsea 0
Utd 0
City 0
Dortmund 2 goals

14 games, 5 goals against the biggest opponents that season.
Not shabby at all.

Compared to Son, who scored “just” 18 that season, but Son racked up 4 (just one less) against those same big clubs (Dortmund, Juve and Liverpool, the exact same opponents)
*note Son played one less game v Real

Kane got 5 assist that season but 4 were against the big boys (Real, Liverpool, Dortmund and City)

Son got 11 assists that’s season with also 4 against the big boys (Dortmund, Liverpool and Juve)

Anyone remotely interested in Spurs should find this stuff interesting. Take from it what you will, it’s just out there with no weight attached.

Just wondered why someone is going around claiming Son doesn’t produce against big clubs

Bias.

Good stats.

I think it is an irrefutable fact that Son is a harder player to mark than Kane but for me neither produce in the biggest moments. And they are finals and KEY games.

The simple issue for me is that in the last twenty years only Berbatov and Bale have had that complete belief that even on the biggest stage they are the best player on the pitch. Not even Modric showed that when he was with us. He morphed into the stratosphere.

It's so hard to explain without sitting together and breaking it down but the overall quality of our squad in some of those years when we were 'at it' was good enough, if it believed it when it really mattered. It didn't.

Back
Top Bottom