Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mate, he played in the 80s and 90s. The game has changed since then.

In today's game, you pretty much need some sort of pace/quickness etc., regardless of position.

Especially in the Premier League.

This isn't FIFA. Lots of positions in football don't require pace. Players who dictate from deep especially (Jorginho, Rodri etc) aren't quick at all. Centre forwards who play with their back to goal also aren't reliant on being pace merchants. Thiago Silva is still one of the best defenders in the league and has zero pace, but positions himself brilliantly. Guys like Silva dominated this league, he had no pace at all.

Kane was just as 'slow' last season and was top scorer, top assister in the whole division. He was never quick when he was younger either and would bag 30+ in the league. He has lots of strings to his bow, pace doesn't need to be one of them.

Maybe a 7.5 in the first half

Unfortunately there's a second half. Second half he was pretty shocking

Missed a sitter put on a plate for him by Lucas, and played the worst 15 minutes of football probably in his career at the end of the game

No he wasn't. He had a bad last 5/10 minutes when he looked shattered (which would've been a good time for him to be subbed if we had a backup CF) but that was it. He never missed a 'sitter' at all.

Kane was just as 'slow' last season and was top scorer, top assister in the whole division.
No mate, he looks slower, less mobile etc. from last year. His physical decline since 18/19 is undeniable and it's reasonable for someone in his late 20s to experience that kind of decline. Especially one with a history of injuries. It happens sometimes.

Aside from that, if you think technically he's still world class, and he hasn't lost anything physically, then what's his issue 1/3 of the season in.

He really looks fine against Pacos, Mura, Albania, San Marino so the effort/quality etc. is still there.

No mate, he looks slower, less mobile etc. from last year. His physical decline since 18/19 is undeniable and it's reasonable for someone in his late 20s to experience that kind of decline. Especially one with a history of injuries. It happens sometimes.

Aside from that, if you think technically he's still world class, and he hasn't lost anything physically, then what's his issue 1/3 of the season in.

He really looks fine against Pacos, Mura, Albania, San Marino so the effort/quality etc. is still there.

He looked fine against Leeds too. Really good performance. Very happy.

I think he's had a bad season because of a bunch of factors. Wanting to go, disjointed team, struggling to get sharpness after not having a proper pre season etc. Whether he's 'world class' still or not, I have no fucking clue. Certainly think he's still a top striker.

Conte got a proper CF performance out of him today and I'm confident he will build on it, all that game lacked was a goal from him. Otherwise I think he's hugely unfortunate to not have at least one assist, and if he plays like that for the rest of the season I'll be ecstatic.

To be entirely objective, Kane didn't have a bad performance. 110% effort today and he was solid. He did the Llorente role quite well today to my delight with a couple solid passes. Probably a lot of the other good stuff won't be caught in a stat line or highlight reel.

But i'm also cognizant of the fact that it was against Leeds who I expected Kane to do well against. Do I think that he's going to be a great striker again based on this performance? No, not really. Nothing suggests that he's going to turn it around.

The main problems still linger for me. He's still one of the slowest players on the pitch, his movement/mobility is terrible and his pressing is non existent. I still expect him to get bullied/dominated by better PL level defenders. His physicality/athleticism is just not there.

Can a 29 year old athlete suddenly add pace, mobility, strength, quickness? I can't think of one example to be honest.

Gave you a like because I know you typed a bit of that through gritted teeth and you were fighting against your inner self.

He looked fine against Leeds too. Really good performance. Very happy.

I think he's had a bad season because of a bunch of factors. Wanting to go, disjointed team, struggling to get sharpness after not having a proper pre season etc. Whether he's 'world class' still or not, I have no fucking clue. Certainly think he's still a top striker.

Conte got a proper CF performance out of him today and I'm confident he will build on it, all that game lacked was a goal from him. Otherwise I think he's hugely unfortunate to not have at least one assist, and if he plays like that for the rest of the season I'll be ecstatic.
Just remember, it's Leeds. But yeah. overall it was a decent performance. Probably his second best after Newcastle. Not saying much but it's a start.

If Kane is still shit after Christmas and still not scoring regularly in the EPL, I'll be the first to say he's suddenly dropped a few levels and there's no getting back to the level he was.

But I still believe he'll come good under Conte and will score plenty more goals for the club. Nothing I saw from his performance today has made me change my mind.

Gave you a like because I know you typed a bit of that through gritted teeth and you were fighting against your inner self.
Naw I give credit where credit is due. Not really much to compliment this season for Kane unfortunately

I mean, we're jumping for joy for him doing a solid job doing Llorente role AGAINST LEEDS. Not scoring a brace against a top 4 team.

Unfortunately, this is where we're at with Kane.

Naw I give credit where credit is due. Not really much to compliment this season for Kane unfortunately

I mean, we're jumping for joy for him doing a solid job doing Llorente role AGAINST LEEDS. Not scoring a brace against a top 4 team.

Unfortunately, this is where we're at with Kane.

He had a poor last 5 minutes when he was running on empty, and looked like a Heavyweight boxer that had punched himself out. Other than that, I thought he he gave a solid all round performance. Should have scored but he was a bit unlucky as the keeper dropped on the ball. His hold up play and passing was much improved and much more like it used to be. His body language was also a lot better.

I thought he had a slightly better game than Son myself. Both aren't playing like we know they can yet.

He had a poor last 5 minutes when he was running on empty, and looked like a Heavyweight boxer that had punched himself out. Other than that, I thought he he gave a solid all round performance. Should have scored but he was a bit unlucky as the keeper dropped on the ball. His hold up play and passing was much improved and much more like it used to be. His body language was also a lot better.

I thought he had a slightly better game than Son myself. Both aren't playing like we know they can yet.
I'd be happy if he got to 80% of what Jimenez is to be honest

He's covered more yards per game this year than last, so how is he less mobile?

The fact is that he's being less effective, but there's nothing to support your 'less mobile' claim, he's never been that mobile at any stage in his career, that's not his game.

The injuries and constant game time has definitely taken its toll on him and most fans accept that but it was his seemingly lack of interest that pissed everyone off. At least he now seems to be putting the effort in and that’s got to be a crumb of comfort. Let’s see where it goes from here.

He's covered more yards per game this year than last, so how is he less mobile?

The fact is that he's being less effective, but there's nothing to support your 'less mobile' claim, he's never been that mobile at any stage in his career, that's not his game.

I agree. He's lacking a bit of sharpness, but that comes with confidence. He doesn't have a lot in a Spurs shirt at the moment. He's been sluggish this season but his attitude has been responsible for that more than anything, almost looking as if he had just about give up the will to play football. Conte has clearly helped him already and his best form will come.

Back
Top Bottom