Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sounds like nearly everyone in the last 2 pages is 'don't buy him' now. :/ I'm more measured about it - if he comes back in Jan/Feb, and has an excellent rest of the season, with no sign of that injury impacting him, why on earth would we not buy him? If he comes back and struggles, then don't buy. We need to wait and see.

And let's not be silly about the internationals thing, or about their nationality - most good players play for their country every opportunity they get, and I doubt there is any data to suggest that Argentinian players get injured any more than any other nationalities. And talk of a "Spurs Argentina jinx" or anything like that is just, well, stupid.

Lucas and PEH are decent signings
Decent sure. And Wanyama or even Bale were impactful bargains over a short term.

But the last player we signed that pushed the project forward in a meaningful way was Sonny, and that was over six years ago. David Cameron was the UK PM. Archway Sheet Works was still standing.

Every long-term signing since then has been, whenever relied upon for a core role, a significant downgrade on what came before.

Sounds like nearly everyone in the last 2 pages is 'don't buy him' now. :/ I'm more measured about it - if he comes back in Jan/Feb, and has an excellent rest of the season, with no sign of that injury impacting him, why on earth would we not buy him? If he comes back and struggles, then don't buy. We need to wait and see.

And let's not be silly about the internationals thing, or about their nationality - most good players play for their country every opportunity they get, and I doubt there is any data to suggest that Argentinian players get injured any more than any other nationalities. And talk of a "Spurs Argentina jinx" or anything like that is just, well, stupid.
Well I think me myself and most others are saying that "dont buy him" based on what we have seen up to now.

If he comes back and proves himself then this will be new evidence to decide on.

Right now these 533 minutes with half season are nowhere near enough to cough up 50 mil for a CB.

Hojbjerg...

Was okay in the Prem for Southampton, has been good enough for us in comparison to far pricier signings from abroad.

I'm not saying I'm opposed to players coming in from elsewhere, its 100% a necessity given PL prices, but if we do sign PL talent it would be nice if we at least signed the ones who are doing well at their club, see Liverpool with Jota, VVD, Robertson etc.

Decent sure. And Wanyama or even Bale were impactful bargains over a short term.

But the last player we signed that pushed the project forward in a meaningful way was Sonny, and that was over six years ago. David Cameron was the UK PM. Archway Sheet Works was still standing.

Every long-term signing since then has been, whenever relied upon for a core role, a significant downgrade on what came before.

The glorious tRaNsFeR StRaTeGy

Was okay in the Prem for Southampton, has been good enough for us in comparison to far pricier signings from abroad.

I'm not saying I'm opposed to players coming in from elsewhere, its 100% a necessity given PL prices, but if we do sign PL talent it would be nice if we at least signed the ones who are doing well at their club, see Liverpool with Jota, VVD, Robertson etc.

If only it was that easy eh?

Of course hindsight in 20/20 and must I remind you that Liverpool also bought Shakiri, Solanke and Adrian as well from PL teams so they haven't always got it right...

Truth is that it's little to do with the league you're buying from as long as your recruitment is good, the difference between us and Liverpool over the last few years is that whilst their recruitment is good our has been a pile of shit.

If only it was that easy eh?

Of course hindsight in 20/20 and must I remind you that Liverpool also bought Shakiri, Solanke and Adrian as well from PL teams so they haven't always got it right...

Truth is that it's little to do with the league you're buying from as long as your recruitment is good, the difference between us and Liverpool over the last few years is that whilst their recruitment is good our has been a pile of shit.

If only it was easy to not sign players already proven mediocre at PL level? It is in fact not difficult at all.

Yeah you've really shown me with the signing of a 12m backup who did a job for a while, a player they got for peanuts then sold for 20+ million, and a backup keeper. I don't expect a 100% hit rate from us either, but some actual success stories would be nice.

Well yes .. which is the point. Again I'm not saying don't look at signing playings plying their trade elsewhere, but if we do try to supplement it with top PL signings, going for ones who are actually impressing might be an idea.

If only it was easy to not sign players already proven mediocre at PL level? It is in fact not difficult at all.

Yeah you've really shown me with the signing of a 12m backup who did a job for a while, a player they got for peanuts then sold for 20+ million, and a backup keeper. I don't expect a 100% hit rate from us either, but some actual success stories would be nice.

Well yes .. which is the point. Again I'm not saying don't look at signing playings plying their trade elsewhere, but if we do try to supplement it with top PL signings, going for ones who are actually impressing might be an idea.
ENIC / Levy are always trying to find hidden gems.

It's like trying to buy unknown international stocks with high/risk and high probability of going bust instead of buying proven domestic companies you know.

The former strategy almost always never works.

Jeez with your semi aggresive reply I feel you've spectacularly missed the point, nevermind

The funny thing is you are actually agreeing with me :roflmao:

Jeez with your semi aggresive reply I feel you've spectacularly missed the point, nevermind

'Semi aggressive' has to be a joke .. you can't be that soft. You gave some shit examples of apparent failures from Liverpool and I called you out on it .. deal with it. I wish we would sign a Solanke or two and sell on for 20m, would be fantastic.

Our transfer business has been shit, but it's clearly a decent idea to supplement foreign signings with a few domestic ones, but the ones we're picking out aren't nearly good enough. Simple.

Back
Top Bottom