Watford VS Tottenham Saturday Jan 1st 2022 @3PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m talking about not going past their LB and always having their players in front of him

He’s crossed it a few times, some good some poor.

The biggest issue for me is the outright nullification of Son

Not liking this “no excitement will be tolerated” approach we seem to be adopting.

It’s work horse like, not Tottenham like promised

A few times? I'll need to see some stats on it but it's looked like a fuckload to me, and 'some good some poor' is a very positive outlook since to me it's minimum 80% useless and maybe 20% somewhat dangerous, and even some of them are because of deflections.

Conte's wing backs are given LOADS of license to attack. Hakimi got 7 goals 8 assists in Serie A last season, we all remember how Marcos Alonso thrived under him as well. Conte's teams are definitely very structured and with little room for 'flair', but the total lack of threat from our wing backs is not a tactical issue, it's a personnel one.

I’d bring Winks on, Emerson off, stick Lucas at right wing back - there is so much space down that right side which Emerson has completely wasted.

I remember Trippier getting a lot of hate around the 18/19 season. I’d love that guys crosses in the side right now.
Am ashamed to admit that I was one of those calling for him to be replaced at the time. But I still wanted to keep him.. but as a backup player in that position. Instead we have continually gone backwards in that area of the pitch since then : (

We don’t need to play a back 5. If conte just showed some tactical flexibility. Especially when our WBs are crap. They are parking the bus a back 4 will do. Take of davies bring on tanguy and let son and moura stay wide.
This obsession with WBs is costing us as we don’t have the quality required. Same thing against soton. The other thing is he wastes a sun by replacing a WB for WB.

Absolutely dominating. Our tactical set up is on point. We look much better under Conte. Acres of space on the right hand side. If our defence can keep concentration they'll get a clean sheet today. We really dominated and they aren't offering much going forward.

Crossing hasn't been great, especially with the amount of time Emerson has been allowed (his first touch has been quality). Need to hit a few more to the back post rather than forcing it into the penalty spot. If we keep up this level they will eventually make a mistake that leads to an opening.

It's not free flowing football like we saw under Poch, but this is a huge improvement. Controlling away games against 'weaker opposition' is something we've not done in years.

For me perhaps the most annoying thing is that on the rare occasions when Watford have ventured into our final third, we've won the ball back easily, then calmed everything down and waited for them to get back into the tight shape. Why the fuck aren't we playing quick balls in those situations and counter-attacking? Even if the counter-attack itself doesn't achieve anything, the sudden change of pace in the game would shake things up a bit every 5-10 mins. It's all too easy for Watford at the moment, and when we do have opportunities to make it more difficult, we're not even trying to take them. Frustrating to watch. :/

I think people need to let the Tanguy thing go. As much as i admire his technical ability he's finished here.

He's not going to work here, Conte needs to plan how to get him and Lo Celso out and replace them with 2 creative midfielders we can actually use.
Whilst I agree with this, we need to win this match today and Tanguy is available.

He’s more likely to create a goal than any other player on the bench; he has to come on.

It doesn’t mean he stays in Jan.

I think people need to let the Tanguy thing go. As much as i admire his technical ability he's finished here.

He's not going to work here, Conte needs to plan how to get him and Lo Celso out and replace them with 2 creative midfielders we can actually use.
Just saying the game needs something different, not long term just today

Back
Top Bottom