Watford VS Tottenham Saturday Jan 1st 2022 @3PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm glad people are seeing this. Teams did the same thing with Aurier during Mourinho's entire tenure.
It's alright to try some spreading of the play, but it's a problem when it feels like every attack is going that route (by design if the opposition are pushing us to do so). Teams like Man City just pepper the other team with variety in attack.
Royale was not the only problem, we just didn't have enough variety in our attacking moves, made a real slog of it. Too slow and predictable at times.
I've actually been pleasantly surprised by some of Royale's game since Conté arrived, I think there's a player in there to be polished with some time (if he's the same in the summer as now then I'll revise that). Today though, that ball out right to be crossed in was just generally fruitless as, aside from Emerson's crossing ability, Watford's defenders seemed very comfortable to head away. Reminded me of playing the Stoke of old.

I didn't see the game, but here's Terry Butcher on the BBC's Premier League Live:

"They [Watford] showed belief and thoroughly deserved to get something from this game and but for two contentious refereeing decisions, they would have."
They certainly showed belief. Belief that sticking all ten outfield players in the box and hoping we couldn't get the ball past a meat wall would frustrate their way to a 0-0 draw.

Didn't quite work out that way though.

12d9286c1f080fad602117c78492b68d39b43417.gifv

Royal is clearly not the player we need. Watford left all the space in the world for him and the guy couldn't create one decent opportunity. His crosses are always in the same place, he can't beat a man, he can't find a good pass, can't shot, the guy really is poor.
The space he was given in the first half was unreal but he didn’t make the most of it

Ndombele has got to be done at spurs if he's not getting on the pitch.

Badly need to keep Hugo. Criminal that his contract is so late being redone.
I'm trying to figure out how the hell we'd even get him out the door - isn't he on 200+ k a week?

All I can fathom is a loan deal where we subsidise his wages somewhat, and hope he puts himself in the shop window for a summer transfer.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised by some of Royale's game since Conté arrived, I think there's a player in there to be polished with some time (if he's the same in the summer as now then I'll revise that). Today though, that ball out right to be crossed in was just generally fruitless as, aside from Emerson's crossing ability, Watford's defenders seemed very comfortable to head away. Reminded me of playing the Stoke of old.
He's a steady and solid defender, though he's more fast than quick and isn't exactly a guy that fills you with confidence against a Mane-type (though who does?).

Quite similar to Tanganga really. Neither are the type needed. Doherty is exactly the type needed, he just sucks.

Ward-prowse maybe as new eriksen for us?
JWP is one of those oppo players I don't actually mind.... Jimmy Bullard was another, and (whisper it) I quite like Michael Antonio (gets soap, washes mouth!)

But I guarantee for the dead ball precision JWP offers, we'd somehow turn him into Tim Sherwood before he ever becomes the new Eriksen!

We can’t improve the final pass when we are relying on basically 7 defensive players to do that? We play with 3 attackers who rarely get the ball in dangerous areas. Either the formation, tactics or personal need to change.
To earlier post that this result shows we need 5/6 players. Surely we had enough talent on the pitch and on the bench to see off a very poor Watford who were missing their best player and a few others. The players and coaching team have to do a lot better. We ain’t gonna magically get 5 or 6 quality players and expect them to be all good. Look at our transfer record in the last few years it’s abysmal despite the money spent.
Conte has get the best out of what he already has plus maybe 1 or 2 additions in key areas. His supposed to be a coach who improves players so he has to show it. Also he needs to come up with better tactical plans when we have the majority of the ball. I’d say going to back 4 may help.
Many posters want gio and tanguy gone but I’d say let’s try to get them in the team and help improve them as we haven’t got much alternative. Tanguy did ok v pool so no idea why his not had any minutes in the last 2 games which were crying out for qualities. Conte May be Losen up a bit and allow some players who may not be his type to play. Wonder if hoddle would have fitted into Conte”s teams ?
Spam currently thrashing palace 3-0 and also beat Watford 4-1. We need to be matching and better them and goons.

We got lucky with the 3 points today. We barely deserved them. It was two poor sides on show. But being at home Watford could have surely shown a bit more intent, so they got what they deserved in the end which was nothing, We huffed and puffed but it's pretty clear to see where we are lacking and what we are lacking.

Back
Top Bottom