Watford VS Tottenham Saturday Jan 1st 2022 @3PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This match has resolved in my mind that we definitely don’t want Traore. What’s the point in replacing Emerson (who can’t beat a fullback nor cross) with Traore (who can’t cross). Emerson was given acres of space by Watford and he literally did nothing with it.
Traore is a completely different beast to Royal. A fit and firing Traore takes people on for fun drawing the opposition defenders towards him and by doing so creates space for his team mates. You are comparing apples with oranges.

Traore is a completely different beast to Royal. A fit and firing Traore takes people on for fun drawing the opposition defenders towards him and by doing so creates space for his team mates. You are comparing apples with oranges.
But the point is he can’t cross. Conte wants wingbacks who can stretch the defence but Watford only marked Reggie and left Emerson free with acres of space deliberately because they knew any attacks that went to him would end in nought. Like attacks do with Traore.

I grant you that Traore looks good whilst he’s doing his thang, but with no end product he’s really just one of those horses in dressage doing fancy trots but couldn’t jump a fence to save their lives

But the point is he can’t cross. Conte wants wingbacks who can stretch the defence but Watford only marked Reggie and left Emerson free with acres of space deliberately because they knew any attacks that went to him would end in nought. Like attacks do with Traore.

I grant you that Traore looks good whilst he’s doing his thang, but with no end product he’s really just one of those horses in dressage doing fancy trots but couldn’t jump a fence to save their lives
We can agree to disagree. I think he would give us a new dimension. I am not for one minute saying his crossing is fantastic but I believe he would give opposition defences much more to think about than what we have. There is a real lack of movement in our front players that makes it very difficult to play against teams that park the bus. Pace and power combined with the willingness to take players on terrifies defenders. We don’t really have that

I honestly thought we'd get Traore while Nuno was here, seeing as he seemed to get a song out of him that one season...
The fact we didn't might mean that ship has sailed...
(FWIW, I also thought we'd get Van Dijk when Poch was here, but we missed out on him too!)

I think Conte knows the real deal when he sees it, and if Traore really has no end product, then we may as well stick with what we've got, and save the heartache of hoping Traore suddenly becomes Ronaldo if we sign him!!

Yes he may have made 8 crosses but they were shit. I could turn that same stat around and say he made 8 crosses so why the fuck didn’t he create any chances from them?
Because every cross was the same, they were kind of chipped in with not a lot of pace and easy to defend, he should have mixed them up a bit, deeper crosses, whipped crosses, near post, far post ect.

We can agree to disagree. I think he would give us a new dimension. I am not for one minute saying his crossing is fantastic but I believe he would give opposition defences much more to think about than what we have. There is a real lack of movement in our front players that make it very difficult to play against teams that park the bus. Pace and power combined with the willingness to take players on terrifies defenders. We don’t really have that
I’m very fearful of Moura and Traore being in the same team on the right side. can you imagine? The only question is which blind alley will each run themselves into. And could either do a successful 5 metre pass to the other.

to clarify, this comment does not take account that at times over the last few games Moura has been good, but still a load of stuff to roll the eyes at.

Great bit from Alasdair Gold on Traore...

"Traore's skill, power and pace is not in doubt but in 157 Premier League appearances, he has just seven goals and 16 assists. To put that into context, left-back Reguilon already has seven assists in just 44 Premier League games and Steven Bergwijn six assists in 43 matches in the competition with four goals to boot."

"Traore's skill, power and pace is not in doubt but in 157 Premier League appearances, he has just seven goals and 16 assists. To put that into context, left-back Reguilon already has seven assists in just 44 Premier League games and Steven Bergwijn six assists in 43 matches in the competition with four goals to boot."
I take your point but Wolves have been a very negative side over the last few years and it seems he has often had nobody to cross it to in the middle. Since we have two supposedly world class finishers in Kane and Son maybe he would be more effective in our team. I would take a punt on him. We are just too samey at the moment. The last two matches against Southampton and Watford have underlined the need for Spurs to be able to offer something different

I take your point but Wolves have been a very negative side over the last few years and it seems he has often had nobody to cross it to in the middle. Since we have two supposedly world class finishers in Kane and Son maybe he would be more effective in our team. I would take a punt on him. We are just too samey at the moment. The last two matches against Southampton and Watford have underlined the need for Spurs to be able to offer something different
At his price that is an expensive “punt”

At his price that is an expensive “punt”
At the moment we have no outball from defence. Having someone like Traore in the team might mean Kane feels less of a need to pick up the ball deep and can stay in the penalty area doing what he does best. Perhaps you are happy watching a Spurs team without flair whereas I am not.

Are you genuinely implying you were impressed with his crossing? It wasn’t great at all.

If he wants to stay as RWB, he’ll need to practise those a lot (as will Reggie et al).
I agree. He appears a better FB than WB. But he has had no pre season, does not speak English, is 22, surely Conte and Co. will work on his weaknesses.

He is the 3rd best tackler in PL.

At the moment we have no outball from defence. Having someone like Traore in the team might mean Kane feels less of a need to pick up the ball deep and can stay in the penalty area doing what he does best. Perhaps you are happy watching a Spurs team without flair whereas I am not.
I’ve said my piece. You’ve said yours.

if we recruit Traore i will support him as much as any other player. But I don’t think he is the type of player we need. If we bought him and sold Moura for a not dissimilar price I would be happy as I think they are both disruptive headless chicken players. At least sometimes Mours gets it right. But Traore rarely does.

Thanks for this. And for those saying that he had no one to pass/cross to at Wolves, you might remember that Jimenez and Jota were at Wolves for most of this time.

I’ve said my piece. You’ve said yours.

if we recruit Traore i will support him as much as any other player. But I don’t think he is the type of player we need. If we bought him and sold Moura for a not dissimilar price I would be happy as I think they are both disruptive headless chicken players. At least sometimes Mours gets it right. But Traore rarely does.

Thanks for this. And for those saying that he had no one to pass/cross to at Wolves, you might remember that Jimenez and Jota were at Wolves for most of this time.
True but at Wolves they had a very negative manager in Nuno.

and people say we dont need pace in this side

our players may aswell play in the old mans league

fucking slow as a cart horse

No; people actually say pace is an ineffective weapon against a parked bus...... It is.

(Games like this only serve to provide further evidence...... "Son is ineffective", "Reg offers nothing on the ball" blah blah.)

Literally no one has ever said they don't want pace in our squad.

Back
Top Bottom