Japhet Tanganga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought before the season a loan deal would be ideal for him. That's what Chelsea would have done with him.

Instead he's learning on the job here which isn't easy at the level we're expecting of him.

He doesn't look anywhere near good enough technically to play in midfield. Not at PL level anyway.
We could have gotten this player up to a standard to sit, disrupt and feed the ball on.

Had years, now, to do it.

Saw from the off he was never a defender.

All we needed from him was the utility.

He should have been our James Milner.

A great squad asset.

We could have gotten this player up to a standard to sit, disrupt and feed the ball on.

Had years, now, to do it.

Saw from the off he was never a defender.

All we needed from him was the utility.

He should have been our James Milner.

A great squad asset.
No offense mate but this is a bizarre take.

He's not even close to technically gifted enough to play in a CM role. If that level of technical ability could be coached into every limited player, every payer would have Modric's technical ability.

I'm not talking about just today though, I'm talking about the traits/qualities I've observed in him for a while now.

He is just not comfortable on the ball.

He is all over the place defensively.

His decision making is erratic.

Those flaws were highlighted tonight but they've been there for a while now.

Yes he's a good one on on defender and his recovery tackling is good.

Every time he is presses high when we are trying to retain the ball it's a mess though.
I guess I haven't seen the same levels of weaknesses, or maybe I give him a slight pass because he's still fairly young for a defender and he hasn't had tons of game time. He's quick and I think normally decent with the ball at his foot, but I'm at a loss for how he performed today.

I guess I haven't seen the same levels of weaknesses, or maybe I give him a slight pass because he's still fairly young for a defender and he hasn't had tons of game time. He's quick and I think normally decent with the ball at his foot, but I'm at a loss for how he performed today.
He's "fine" on the ball until he faces a PL caliber press. Next time he starts and faces one, watch him and see how he reacts to it.

It's 100% fair and correct to say he should have been loaned out somewhere he would play every week, maybe he would improve, it's possible.

No offense mate but this is a bizarre take.

He's not even close to technically gifted enough to play in a CM role. If that level of technical ability could be coached into every limited player, every payer would have Modric's technical ability.
He can do a job at DM.

Just needs to be given very specific perimeters.

Again, it's something we should have been focusing on with him, and honing him for, for years. imo

Let's face it - Hojbjerg's hardly a tech god.

People saying he should be loaned, that weakens our sub bench and our HG numbers. Given we don’t have Europe to worry about for the rest of the season a loan is a possibility. But if Rodon is sold we need him for defensive cover.

The young will always have good games and bad games. He needs patience.

People saying he should be loaned, that weakens our sub bench and our HG numbers. Given we don’t have Europe to worry about for the rest of the season a loan is a possibility. But if Rodon is sold we need him for defensive cover.

The young will always have good games and bad games. He needs patience.
That's why he should have been loaned so he can have those bad games for somebody else.

Not his fault the squad is so poorly managed that we have to rely on him but a season on loan would have helped him more than spending a year firefighting for us.

We need more players who love the club
we need more players who are good enough to play for the club. the problem with these players who apparently 'love' the club is, the fans get emotionally attached to them even though they are clearly out of their depth.

some fans still sing deles name ffs, blokes been turd for fucking years! its like a fucking charity rather than an ambitious football club.

them two mistakes tanganga has made earlier...first one hes got a poor first touch which has got the ball stuck under him resulting in an underhit pass to emerson which easily gets intercepted. second goal, people saying he should head it out for a corner which is fair enough, but the header is just awful anyway as its headed away at shoulder height instead of going back in the air to go clear.

think this is another case of an academy product not being good enough for what we want...never mind, make a profit and move on to the next one.

Last edited:
I think the bottom line is we need to loan Tanganga to a top Championship club. Blackburn will be good to help them get to the Prem and they use a back 3. Consistent first team football would be great to give him experience, strength and fitness, and defending skills.

really don't understand why our players don't understand the basic's of defending,
they don't stay with their player
don't understand where the danger is
many can't tackle

its not just this manager its under all our managers, can't the coaches coach defending ?
its easy when they are the biggest lad at school to defend and bully others, that's not coaching

Love the lads attitude but his decision making is poor, and not just last night. As others have said a loan next season could be the making of him but I think we give more hope to local lads

That was truly nighmearish performance from Japh, let's be honest.

And I am getting worried as it has not been the first of such. Red card against Palace, hooked in awful NLD at the half time (though I have to say it was hardly main reason we did poorly there)...

I am not giving up on him, but there are very worrying signs up around him.

like many of the players that the manager/coach expecs to make it they need to go on loan to Champship/Div 1 and play against men maybe not every game but 15/20 mins most games to see how they can face men who want/need to win matches to fet their wages

Back
Top Bottom