Japhet Tanganga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He was a centre back in the academy. The mistakes he made yesterday were his awful. Apart from the game against City I have seen nothing to suggest he is a Premier League player.
as i posted earlier, its easy to be the bully when you are the biggest lad on the pitch
we still have academy/development coaches that pick the big lads as they are commanding the pitch, thats ok till 5/6 years down the road their football ability is miles behind

It was a nightmare game from him, again he showed his weakness on aerial balls with the second goal. But he’s still young and has a lot of potential, he can improve. Our issues away from home and in big games are not solely down to him. The type of mistakes he made are a consequence of a weak mentality that has developed in the team over several years.

When was the last time we started a game properly away from home?

he has been at the Academy for 10 years, so everyone watching in Academy football must see his weakness
so what have the coaches been doing with him ?
its their job to reduce the players weaknesses & improve players, but like a lot of Pro football its aclosed shop to keep giving old pro's empolyment
I come to this from 25yrs in youth football so it so often with these Pro Club's, most of the lads in many academy squads are just there to make up enough numbers so matches can be played,
we have always tried to coach different formations/different position, then working with the players (boy's, girl's, women) to improve the areas they are weak in, we get 1/2 training sessions a week

Mourinho promoting Tanganga, Signing Doherty, and binning off Foyth and KWP was a gross error. Shows how out of touch he was with modern footy and I bet Conte would much rather have the latter 2.

I gave him major benefit of the doubt at the beginning purely because he’s an academy player (I’m always guilty of this), but ultimately Tanganga should be in the Livermore/Mason category where we showcase him and then sell him for good money before his flaws became this apparent.

He was a centre back in the academy. The mistakes he made yesterday were his awful. Apart from the game against City I have seen nothing to suggest he is a Premier League player.
Yeah but he plays RB more than he does CB which is my point.

Should have invested in him in his rightful position day from day one instead of making him a bit part utility player

His first 6 senior games were RB LB LB CB RB RB

All during a period we threw Rodon in the bin and acted like Dier and Sanchez were actually doing something to deserve game time

Mourinho promoting Tanganga, Signing Doherty, and binning off Foyth and KWP was a gross error. Shows how out of touch he was with modern footy and I bet Conte would much rather have the latter 2.

I gave him major benefit of the doubt at the beginning purely because he’s an academy player (I’m always guilty of this), but ultimately Tanganga should be in the Livermore/Mason category where we showcase him and then sell him for good money before his flaws became this apparent.

That is revisionist stuff.

Foyth was extremely error prone, no less then Tanganga. He was better with the ball tough.
KWP was hit and miss. I would have him over Doherty but that is true for most of the alternatives in fairness.

We have been utterly poor in recruitment, but selling Foyth and KWP are nowhere near the top of the mistakes list.

That is revisionist stuff.

Foyth was extremely error prone, no less then Tanganga. He was better with the ball tough.
KWP was hit and miss. I would have him over Doherty but that is true for most of the alternatives in fairness.

We have been utterly poor in recruitment, but selling Foyth and KWP are nowhere near the top of the mistakes list.

Foyth made errors but I believed in his ability. IMO all he needed was coaching. When people were saying KWP wasn’t going to even make it as a prem player, I said otherwise.

Foyth would be far superior to any option we have as the RCB, KWP as an RWB, on a purely technical level they improve the side hugely.

People think we lost due to mentality/effort, I think we lost because we’re loaded with players who can’t trap a bag of cement. We’ve got about 8 players who I think are trustworthy from a technique standpoint.

Foyth made errors but I believed in his ability. IMO all he needed was coaching. When people were saying KWP wasn’t going to even make it as a prem player, I said otherwise.

Foyth would be far superior to any option we have as the RCB, KWP as an RWB, on a purely technical level they improve the side hugely.

People think we lost due to mentality/effort, I think we lost because we’re loaded with players who can’t trap a bag of cement. We’ve got about 8 players who I think are trustworthy from a technique standpoint.
8 Players god I cannot think of more than 4 and two of them are Son and Kane who are not at their best at the moment.

Foyth would be good now for this system.

As shit as Japh was yesterday the first goal was on PEH for me, he had forward options but because he seems utterly blind to any kind of forward pass he put Japh under pressure with the pass back when they were pressing us to fuck. Japh should have just kicked it long but for me that one was on PEH.

The second one though was pure clown show

Needs to go on loan and learn his trade

Plenty of effort and has some good tools physically, but has little ability and there's better technical players in the Championship.

8 Players god I cannot think of more than 4 and two of them are Son and Kane who are not at their best at the moment.
I was being extremely generous. I don’t even mean outstanding skill.

Son doesn’t even make my list, phenomenal finisher, normally plays with great intensity but way too erratic in general play, which is why I want him in a front 2 now.

I have:

Romero, Davies, Dier*, Sess*, Tanguy*, GLC*, Skipp, Winks*, Bergwijn*, Bryan* & Kane.

*= major other flaws and issues in their game, that limits what we can do with them, but I’d say you can normally send the ball their way and they’d show decent composure on it.

That’s the entire 1st team squad. That’s nasty.

Since 2018 we’ve lost Gazzaniga, Trippier, Foyth, KWP, Rose, Toby, Jan, Dembele, Wanyama, Eriksen, Lamela, all players who I consider secure on the ball in general possession, regardless of their other flaws, and failed to replace that attribute.

I genuinely believe this is the no1 thing Conte is talking about when he says the level has dropped in recent years and this isn’t a quick fix.

I actually think there’d be some weight to the argument of Tanganga the DM if he were better on the ball because he’s got that rare combination of pace and power with a fair bit of nimbleness, but I just think with that much of the pitch to aim at with his passing (and less time on the ball) he’d be exposed big time. At RB in a flat back 4 he gets away with it because there’s much less pitch to play with, far more straight line work and the decisions are made for you by the players around you. I think it’s no coincidence that his best matches for us have come there.

That said, Conte isn’t sacrificing the 343/352 any time soon so it’s RCB or bust for the kid. Much as Sanchez is the better player currently, I’d not be surprised to see him sacrificed in the summer and this kid given the chance to push Romero (who incidentally is only a year older), probably because Sanchez has value in the transfer market but would only be second fiddle anyway. It’s also totally clear Rodon isn’t fancied, if he was then he’d have played CCB last night with Sanchez staying at RCB, so I think it’s leading towards us shipping Rodon and Sanchez in favour of the best LCB we can attract and being left with Dier, Romero, Davies, Tanganga and NewLCB.

"Foyth made errors but I believed in his ability. IMO all he needed was coaching." - uuuum... don't know what to say about this comment. Faith is cool and all. But cannot question or change others faith. But fact that youth player needs coaching seems very true about Tanganga as well... sooo... it feels just comes down to belief.

"Foyth would be far superior to any option we have as the RCB" - WHAT?!? you do realize that in EPL since Conte took over we have conceded 4 goals in 8 games?? And in those two Davinson Sanchez has scored 2 goals on top of being defensively solid. That is better run than Foyth ever earned. So once more - very much about belief and very little to do with real evidence.

"Foyth made errors but I believed in his ability. IMO all he needed was coaching." - uuuum... don't know what to say about this comment. Faith is cool and all. But cannot question or change others faith. But fact that youth player needs coaching seems very true about Tanganga as well... sooo... it feels just comes down to belief.

"Foyth would be far superior to any option we have as the RCB" - WHAT?!? you do realize that in EPL since Conte took over we have conceded 4 goals in 8 games?? And in those two Davinson Sanchez has scored 2 goals on top of being defensively solid. That is better run than Foyth ever earned. So once more - very much about belief and very little to do with real evidence.

Sanchez wasn’t a better pure defender than Foyth, let’s not do revisionist history. Most spurs fans have wanted him gone before this run under conte. If conte could make Davinson look solid, I’m sure he would do the same for Foyth. Even Davinson would.

However Foyth is unquestionably the superior footballer, (also vs Tanganga too) and he’d be a lot more suited to that role in terms of supporting the attack. We’ve seen that limitation time and again recently.

Sanchez wasn’t a better pure defender than Foyth, let’s not do revisionist history. Most spurs fans have wanted him gone before this run under conte. If conte could make Davinson look solid, I’m sure he would do the same for Foyth. Even Davinson would.

However Foyth is unquestionably the superior footballer, (also vs Tanganga too) and he’d be a lot more suited to that role in terms of supporting the attack. We’ve seen that limitation time and again recently.

When Sanchez and Foyth were at the club at the same time, Sanchez was used more often. Hence deemed better. I agree, I have also been critical of Sanchez but give credit where credit is due.

As I said - I cannot change your unsupported belief about some players.

All I can point out is that coaching staff that was on the dugouts (and that includes Poch if we talk about Foyth vs Sanchez situation) found Colombian to be better and preferred to use him.

I saw most of Foyth performances for Spurs and never saw anything real that would suggest he could be EPL top-6 level defender. He was just one of those players who the fanbase was optimistic about and tried to desperately cling to every positive spark while the coaching staff never saw enough positives to play and start him.

Back
Top Bottom