Will we ever win a trophy again?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is a much dis-proven myth though, innit.... It just sounds 'good' cos Levy got a bit of a media rep from the VDV deal.

Just look at our last 3 summers..... Deals have been spread throughout the window.

You tell me; how many deadline day deals have been done in the last 3 years?

In fact, someone crunched the numbers a couple of years ago and less than 20% (15%-ish iirc) of our total purchases under Levy came on the last day.

btw, who are these Brighton players that were no-brainers for us that we let slide? ...Wolves? ......WH?

VIlla only got Coutinho due to the 'buddy-system'; his agent made that quite clear.
It's not mis-proven at all, the last minute out of nowhere signing is I'll give you that, it's a SSN trope they like to hype up which never really happens, that came about after the VDV deal.

Spurs leaving it late though is just fact, we do sign players throughout the window yes, and yet year after year, as fans we are sat at the edge of our seats on 31st August/January, praying for transfer news because there are major deficiencies in the squad if we are wanting to compete at the level that Levy wants us to believe we are competing at.

We either are trying to sign players every deadline day due to these deficiencies, which would mean that there is a frustrating groundhog day occurring twice a year every year, or we aren't, which would be even worse because it would suggest that people at the club are either oblivious to the deficiencies or simply don't care about them...

Whatever reason you put this down to, Levy haggling for the best deal, clubs not wanting to sell until then, whatever, doesn't alter the fact that every year it happens and in the meantime there have been multiple transfers made between other clubs that would have addressed our issues.

% of our completed transfers done on deadline day doesn't really prove anything, as it doesn't account for the instances where we've left trying to sign a player until then and then failed to complete, also 15% falling on one day out of 3 months actually does suggest proportionally more happening on that day than any other doesn't it?

Your use of the term no-brainer is a bit leading, especially at Spurs when you look at how our big money signings have generally panned out you have to accept that there is no such thing as a no brainer. You can believe that Coutinho simply had his heart set on living in Birmingham because an old work mate is managing them and simply wouldn't countenance joining any other club if you like, I don't. I think if we'd have gone for him and offered the same package as Villa did he'd be playing for us now.

As for the rest of the clubs mentioned, they have tons of players between them that would improve us, and they didn't all come though their academies so they were signed, presumably whilst we were distracted thinking we could actually compete with the biggest clubs in the world.

best thing about that image is the flappy tongue on Ruud's boots, I had a pair of kings with the flappy tongue. Pure nostalgia

Till the ripe old age of 45 I always wore Puma kings!

Was speaking to a local legend Robbie O’Keefe one day at an academy day.
He bought a young player over wearing some shiny boots pointed at my boots and said this is how I know this man was a “baller” in his day.

:contefists::contekiss:

It's not mis-proven at all, the last minute out of nowhere signing is I'll give you that, it's a SSN trope they like to hype up which never really happens, that came about after the VDV deal.

Spurs leaving it late though is just fact, we do sign players throughout the window yes, and yet year after year, as fans we are sat at the edge of our seats on 31st August/January, praying for transfer news because there are major deficiencies in the squad if we are wanting to compete at the level that Levy wants us to believe we are competing at.

Whether or not we manage to tick every box isn't a case of "leaving it late".

Every club's fans are glued to the final days of the window; that's just the nature of the beast.

We either are trying to sign players every deadline day due to these deficiencies, which would mean that there is a frustrating groundhog day occurring twice a year every year, or we aren't, which would be even worse because it would suggest that people at the club are either oblivious to the deficiencies or simply don't care about them...

What you're describing are just universal frustrations of most clubs and fans.

This isn't come Spurs-centric phenomena.

Your use of the term no-brainer is a bit leading, especially at Spurs when you look at how our big money signings have generally panned out you have to accept that there is no such thing as a no brainer.

"No brainer", "Should have signed".... Call it what you will.

Well replace the phrase as you see fit... My sentiment remains the same and I'd have thought it was perfect obvious what we are both describing.

You can believe that Coutinho simply had his heart set on living in Birmingham because an old work mate is managing them and simply wouldn't countenance joining any other club if you like, I don't. I think if we'd have gone for him and offered the same package as Villa did he'd be playing for us now.

Well he's on a reduced wage AND on a play-or-no-pay basis so that would suggest he was pretty keen to go there, yes......

Like I alluded to, his agent spoke at length about this and his motivations for doing so. The name Gerrard was constant and yet Villa were barely mentioned at all. Meanwhile we seemed to be linked; to the point that some sources claim that we have our names attached to his eventual option to buy clause in the summer; so we obviously didn't just sit back and watch him sign for Villa un-interested.

Regardless; it's funny how when it suits people want to cast Villa as some upcoming force to be feared; yet they're bums in the middle of nowhere when the script requires it.

As for the rest of the clubs mentioned, they have tons of players between them that would improve us, and they didn't all come though their academies so they were signed, presumably whilst we were distracted thinking we could actually compete with the biggest clubs in the world.

Again, it's funny how when it suits we are a club with a small-time mentality; but trying to sign a higher callibre of player suddenly becomes a stick to beat us with when it suits.

Look, I have massive frustration with our scouting; but we've signed 19 players in the last 3 seasons..... We haven't just been sat on our hands idly watching the teams below us hoover up players that would obviously boost us back to being league challengers again..... And yeh, the whole "Spurs leave it late" thing IS a myth.

Last edited:
This is absolute bollocks Im afraid and typical of a club with a denialist mentality.

"Yes we want to win cups but nobody cares about domestic cups.....what we want is the PL or CL"

It's built up over the years due the club being such an embarrassing failure that fans have have developed a coping mechanism which is to pretend trophies do matter but they at the same time don't really matter unless it's one of the really big ones so there's no real need to be alarmed we can't win anything.

Turning our noses up at the League cup (never mind the FA Cup) when we've won absolute diddly squat in 14 YEARS.

We used to endlessly mock Woolwich for their trophy drought and they managed to end it after 9 years while we're entering our 15th year with the media fully on on our backs with fans who don't care about domestic cups.

So much for "the game is about glory"
I did not say I did not want Spurs to win a domestic cup title but I am not so bothered about it either.
When Woolwich and Man Utd were at their "heights" - under Wenger and Fergie respectively - both clubs basically ignored the League Cup by playing their reserve teams season after season. Their main priorities were the EPL and the CL. Neither bothered much about the League Cup at all, unless their team would reach a semi-final. And the FA cup wasn't that much sought after either - apart from the possible "double".
It went to the extent that one had to insert an extra incentive to win those cups - by granting the winner a place in a European competition - to inspire the clubs to take those competitions seriously.
So would you rather win the League Cup than qualify for the CL?

Whether or not we manage to tick every box isn't a case of "leaving it late".

Every club's fans are glued to the final days of the window; that's just the nature of the beast.

What you're describing are just universal frustrations of most clubs and fans.

This isn't come Spurs-centric phenomena.

"No brainer", "Should have signed".... Call it what you will.

Well replace the phrase as you see fit... My sentiment remains the same.

Well he's on a reduced wage AND on a play-or-no-pay basis so that would suggest he was pretty keen to go there, yes......

Like I alluded to, his agent spoke at length about this and his motivations for doing so. The name Gerrard was constant and yet Villa were barely mentioned at all. Meanwhile we seemed to be linked; to the point that some sources claim that we have our names attached to his eventual option to buy clause in the summer; so we obviously didn't just sit back and watch him sign for Villa un-interested.

Regardless; it's funny how when it suits people want to cast Villa as some upcoming force to be feared; yet they're bums in the middle of nowhere when the script requires it.

Again, it's funny how when it suits we are a club with a small-time mentality; but trying to sign a higher callibre of player suddenly becomes a stick to beat us with when it suits.

Look, I have massive frustration with our scouting; but we've signed 19 players in the last 3 seasons..... We haven't just been sat on our hands idly watching the teams below us hoover up players that would obviously boost us back to being league challengers again..... And yeh, the whole "Spurs leave it late" IS a myth.
1 - If you run out of time to tick every box then yes it is a case of leaving it late, you've left it too late in fact...

2 - Yes, because until the window shuts any club could sign a player, you can include Man City in that (and even use their failure to sign Kane to say, look, all clubs swing and miss from time to time...) but they are currently top of the league and progressing in CL, their need is much less than ours...

3 - I'm sorry, I'm not invested in this enough to go through the last few years of transfers for all mid table Prem clubs just to prove a point to you that they have signed good players that would have improved us at those times. You can do that yourself if you wish, it's bound to be subjective to an extent anyway, but if you come back to me and say that you wouldn't want any of those players then you'll be lying.

4 - They can be both (though mid-table prem isn't bums, it just happens to be below us, for now...) they are worse than us, and yet have shown improvement and made smart signings, if both clubs continue their trajectories then they will overtake us at some point.

5 - It's a stick to beat us with when we fail, it's great to be after signing the best players around, but if you don't actually seal the deal then it's all for nothing, and the amount of times we've missed the boat on someone because we've been sniffing after someone that was eventually signed by a top tier club makes me think we should probably realign our targets and go for the best attainable from the off. I'm sure you'll ask me for specific examples and off the top of my head I can't give you a comprehensive list, and I'm not about to go and research it either, so if you want to discount my point based on that then fair enough, I will go out on a limb now and say their is absolutely zero chance that Frank Kessie signs for us this summer as an example, we will be linked heavily I'm sure, and ITK might even say it's practically done for a good few weeks, but he'll go to a Real, Barca, City etc. And in the meantime I'd wager plenty of perfectly good cm's will have been transferred for perfectly reasonable fees, whilst we're left 2 injuries away from the Winks/Hojbjerg axis of doom...

6 - We haven't no, but we've been doing a bad job at squad building for a number of years now, and I'm not after a summer of signings that immediately make us title challengers, I just want some players that improve us and make us vaguely bloody watchable again, I don't think that's too much to ask.

And finally, Spurs leave it late, you can disagree all you like but that's not going to change my mind, feel free to save this post and bring it back up on August 31st, I guarantee we will be sat at our screens desperately hoping for another 2 or 3, hopefully not 4 or 5, new signings still due to no back up striker, no creative midfielder, no new centre back yet. If I'm wrong then I'll be delighted.

1 - If you run out of time to tick every box then yes it is a case of leaving it late, you've left it too late in fact...

Not in the manner that your initial post painted.... Not at all.

Time is finite.... You implied he just sat on our arese and left everything to the last minute whilst the lesser clubs hoovered up player that would have elevated us. That's not true.

2 - Yes, because until the window shuts any club could sign a player, you can include Man City in that (and even use their failure to sign Kane to say, look, all clubs swing and miss from time to time...) but they are currently top of the league and progressing in CL, their need is much less than ours...

Who said anything about City....?

How about WH & Arse who's fanbase are both fuming that they signed NOBODY in Jan and put their current targets in jeaopardy?

Ditto Utd that binned off Greenwood, Martial, VDB and a couple of others and have now left themselves pretty thin?

How about every other club that isn't funded by an oil state?

3 - I'm sorry, I'm not invested in this enough to go through the last few years of transfers for all mid table Prem clubs just to prove a point to you that they have signed good players that would have improved us at those times. You can do that yourself if you wish, it's bound to be subjective to an extent anyway.

You're the once making these claims; not me..... Why should I dig deep on your behalf?

If you're not "invested" in the discussion and can't even be arsed to provide an example or two, then meh..... Let's just call a day right here....

"I'm sorry, I'm not invested in this enough" to read the rest.

Not in the manner that your initial post painted.... Not at all.

Time is finite.... You implied he just sat on our arese and left everything to the last minute whilst the lesser clubs hoovered up player that would have elevated us. That's not true.

Who said anything about City....?

How about WH & Arse who's fanbase are both fuming that they signed NOBODY in Jan and put their current targets in jeaopardy?

Ditto Utd that binned off Greenwood, Martial, VDB and a couple of others and have now left themselves pretty thin?

How about every other club that isn't funded by an oil state?

You're the once making these claims; not me..... Why should I dig deep on your behalf?

If you're not "invested" in the discussion and can't even be arsed to provide an example or two, then meh..... Let's just call a day right here....

"I'm sorry, I'm not invested in this enough" to read the rest.
Whatever...

A conversation with you is too tedious as it is to then have to go and do a fucking homework project on what is simply fucking obvious just by casting your eyes over any of the squads mentioned!

Last-word syndrome got you by the balls has it? .......I thought you weren't "invested enough"?

Stop tagging me - You're making a mocker if yourself....
Sorry I couldn't be arsed to draw up a list for you to back up my audacious claim that some mid-table clubs have made signings that would have improved us, OMG WHAT KIND OF MONSTER AM I?!?!

Might have done it if responding to you're fucking half a billion bullet points hadn't already taken long enough...

Don’t think I’ll ever see Spurs lift a trophy again in my lifetime and I’m only 35. With ENIC and Levy in charge that’s for certain
I’m 28 and have also resigned myself to the fact that I’ll likely never see us win something again or if I do I’ll be too senile to know what’s happening

Sorry I couldn't be arsed to draw up a list for you to back up my audacious claim that some mid-table clubs have made signings that would have improved us, OMG WHAT KIND OF MONSTER AM I?!?!

Might have done it if responding to you're fucking half a billion bullet points hadn't already taken long enough...

LOL...... You are the most invested "not invested" man I've ever seen.

Let it go, babe.

(p.s. You always whinge about long replies, but look at the state of you.... Every post you've replied with is longer than that which you've replied to. 🤡)

LOL...... You are the most invested "not invested" man I've ever seen.

Let it go, babe.

(p.s. You always whinge about long replies, but look at the state of you.... Every post you've replied with is longer than that which you've replied to. 🤡)
Not invested enough to do a research project for you, doesn't mean I'm flouncing and not willing to reply...

For someone that's "out" you sure are easy to pull right back in. Does Levy pay you by the post or something, bot?

Not invested enough to do a research project for you, doesn't mean I'm flouncing and not willing to reply...

For someone that's "out" you sure are easy to pull right back in. Does Levy pay you by the post or something, bot?

So far you've been stroppy, insulting and hypocritical.... You don't respond at all well to having your opinion challenged do you?

.......and now you're lowering yourself to Levy-bot memes.

Fucking pathetic.

(No-one's asked you to do a research project or write the fucking essays you have, you big drama queen.)

Back
Top Bottom