Spurs Youth 2021/22

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

English clubs continuously choose size over ability. And more and more pace is a pre-requisite for premier league clubs.
Plus the premier league clubs generally get first dibs on talent. Got a few teams near me with decent academies but parents put more “value” on West Ham, spurs, Chelsea.

Saying that I know someone’s whose cousin recently broke through to the West Ham first team having been there since he was 8 I think. So it can happen. Remember him telling me he had signed there. Time flies.

And any year there is a major competition it is worth looking at where the England players started out.
The lower league academies is not unusual.

Watching an interview with Declan Rice he almost got released by West Ham due to his size. He thinks that’s the main reason Chelsea released him previously. Probably the best young English midfielder now. An example how progress is never linear.

But it’s tough - young footballers get spat out by the system.
And the majority of academies need the numbers just to give the top 15% a team to play in.

Generally true - but Spurs at one time used to recruit a lot of players who were technically good but not large hence the likes of Tom Carroll and Alex Pritchard, and neither Oliver Skipp nor Harvey White are particularly tall either.

Generally true - but Spurs at one time used to recruit a lot of players who were technically good but not large hence the likes of Tom Carroll and Alex Pritchard, and neither Oliver Skipp nor Harvey White are particularly tall either.

Not just height. General size / physicality - you can see a big difference in teenagers.

All coaches will look for so something different. They aren’t recruiting basketball players where a certain height is a must have but when young there are always some players are always ahead of their age group.

I think Skipp is similar to Rooney that he looked quite strong at a young age. Not sure exactly how old this photo is. But kit from 2018/19. So a few years back.

c250c-15538363618536-800.jpg

Marcus Edwards was another smaller player - guess those three players all failed to make a real mark so the scouts are doing something right though! Markandy also not that tall either. So I think we still look to recruit technical players.

Harry Winks can be added to that list as well. He’s well thought of on here!

btw I never got to Lewes to see the game and have a look at Ollie Tanner who turned us down. Might have another go as mates down here have said it would be a fun day out.

I read the match report v Worthing, he got an assist in a 1-2 home loss.

Eight of the players

Spurs u17 PL Cup semi final winners : Gunter, Andiyapan, Meghoma (Chaplin 78), Willhoft-King, Dorrington, Sayers, McKnight, Abbott, Donley, Kyerematen (Amo-Ameyaw 75), Williams.

It was like we found our niche, in ones Arse (at that time) and Chelsea hadn't gobbled up, so ended with some physical runts (relative) but still good technical talents. Rice being the recent famous one, Chelsea dumped then West Ham also nearly released for being too small?!

Think the biggest clubs are run on metrics which allow us to nab the odd gem, if we get our team back on point.

btw I never got to Lewes to see the game and have a look at Ollie Tanner who turned us down. Might have another go as mates down here have said it would be a fun day out.

I read the match report v Worthing, he got an assist in a 1-2 home loss.

I haven't been down there for a while actually. Good little club. Properly woke but I can live with that. Might get down there soon.

Back
Top Bottom