Emerson Royal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The most under-appreciated player I've ever seen at Spurs. It's criminal how many people don't rate Aurier. It's a shame that useless cunt Nuno was so adamant in getting rid of him, I'd much rather have Aurier as a RWB than Emerson, especially in a Conte system.

Sorry to break it to you but Nuno wasn't at the club when Aurier left.

Just to set the record straight, he wasn't half bad today.

I wouldn't go as far to say that he was half good, but better than the train wreck of previous games.

I agree. Made some good defensive headers and actually played with some confidence and joy in attack. I still think he’s not what we need at wing back and a guy who might eventually be a CB. Or atleast a RCB in a 3.

I don't think he does too much wrong but he's not the most exciting of players. He's kind of just bang average which isn't a bad thing however when you're looking to be a Champions League team you need someone who is more productive especially going forward. He always looks like he's running in slow motion.

I remember the good old days, when somebody would have to have a 9 or 10/10 game to have a compilation video of their performance. These days if you make a couple of tackles and mostly pass to your own team there's a highlights reel in no time.

At the end it looked like he was going to include a thrown in as part of the highlights

A square peg in a round hole in a Conte system.
He’s a decent defender but woeful in a system where the team employs WB’s bombing forwards and delivering service to the attackers. It simply isn’t his game. Not his fault. Move him on to play at a club that can maximise his skill set.

The criticism of him is bordering on pantomime. Sure, he's not the best wing back in the league, but he is also not the disaster others make him out to be.

He's good positionally and always makes himself available for the ball. Defensive work is good - it's just can cannot provide forward service. Ben Davies, Kyle Walker, Danny Rose also had terrible end product - but we benefitted at the time from Eriksen's passing to create goals.

Reguillon who is woeful in every area of the pitch seems to escape criticism.

Aurier, Rose, Sissoko, Bergjwin, Sanchez, Royal, Sessegnon, Ndombele. - It just feels like most Spurs fans have a bias against BLACK players.

EDIT : Oh yeah, I forgot Aurier. Honourable shoutout for Adebeyor

Last edited:
I don't think its a race thing, as Guido UA says Emerson is not a WB he is ok as a defender
the criticism of Rose has been over the top maybe because he wanted to speak his mind
but don't forget the melt down here because Kane wanted to left
Sissoko & Ndombele for what they cost were poor buys
PEH for me has been ok, but lots on here think he is poor and criticism him here

But I'm looking from my eyes so I don't see a race element, maybe it is there but I don't see because I'm looking for it

The criticism of him is bordering on pantomime. Sure, he's not the best wing back in the league, but he is also not the disaster others make him out to be.

He's good positionally and always makes himself available for the ball. Defensive work is good - it's just can cannot provide forward service. Ben Davies, Kyle Walker, Danny Rose also had terrible end product - but we benefitted at the time from Eriksen's passing to create goals.

Rose, Sissoko, Bergjwin, Sanchez, Royal, Sessegnon, Ndombele. - It just feels like most Spurs fans have a bias against BLACK players.
Even for you this is one of your most nonsensical posts. Could it be that we have signed a lot of dross over the years and that some of them happen to be black?
Don’t see many fans slagging off Walker, Defoe, Dembele etc- could that be because they were good players?

The most under-appreciated player I've ever seen at Spurs. It's criminal how many people don't rate Aurier. It's a shame that useless cunt Nuno was so adamant in getting rid of him, I'd much rather have Aurier as a RWB than Emerson, especially in a Conte system.
He was completely inconsistent, no manager wants that in a player especially a full back.

Rose, Sissoko, Bergjwin, Sanchez, Royal, Sessegnon, Ndombele. - It just feels like most Spurs fans have a bias against BLACK players.
Reg - shit. PEH - shit

We shit on this guys attacking output, and to some degree rightly so. But he does contribute defensivly.

Defensively, he frequently makes very intelligent recovery runs behind Romero, dropping in to form a back three when Davies or Romero push forward. He also has great work rate and excellent fitness levels, which are really important for a wingback. He's in the 98th percentile for pressures, 97th percentile for tackles, 81st percentile for blocks, 93rd percentile for clearances, and 72nd percentile for aerial duals won. Those are damn good defensive numbers.

He does struggle going forward, but he is a fullback playing as a wingback and is seemingly asked to have a slightly more defensive position than Sessegnon/Reguilon by Conte (perhaps to capitalize more on his defensive strengths and to allow Romero to bomb up field).

He's essentially reverse Aurier, who was great going forward but a questionable defender.

He's a hard worker and a good defender. I hope that as long as he is with us he keeps working on his game and tries to develop his attacking output.

Back
Top Bottom