Burnley (H) 15/05 - 12PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is it just me?

We now have the MotD pundits saying the penalty was harsh, but watch Barnes. He's not off balance, he actually deliberately tries to make himself bigger when lunging bodily towards the ball. It's 100% a penalty.

They also tried claiming the the Spurs players didn't appeal, well I saw 2 put their hands up for the handball. Are they expecting them to stop when the ball is still live?

I'm mystified at the response to the handball. It might not have been hand to ball, but the arm is where it is in an attempt to make himself bigger. That's a nailed on penalty.

I agree. On SSN just now they've said it is a nailed on penalty. As soon as I saw it in the ground I knew it was hand ball. The media are just trying to whip up some controversy that isn't there from some quarters.

I hope the same thing happens tonight and Newcastle get a penalty to win the game. It would be delicious!

A deserved win, as Burnley's 1st half spoiler tactics were shameful, and it made me laugh at the sense of urgency that they suddenly discovered in the 2nd half.
How typical though, that Hugo was booked for timewasting, and nothing for Nick Pope.
The 2nd half showed that Burnley can actually play decent football, and I think we'd have struggled if they came at us a bit earlier, and I can't understand why a team that is looking relegation in the eye, would sit back like that.
Pope was amazing, and definitely kept it tense for us.
Well done lads; "Let's be havin' you!!" at Norwich. COYS
Excellent summary.

I would take Eriksen on a free as a Winks replacement so we can use more funds to the WB and CB positions this summer.

Hojbjerg/Bentancur/Skipp/Eriksen/Sarr and then a January signing wouldn’t be bad imo

I would take Eriksen on a free as a Winks replacement so we can use more funds to the WB and CB positions this summer.

Hojbjerg/Bentancur/Skipp/Eriksen/Sarr and then a January signing wouldn’t be bad imo
He's certainly got more goals & assists in him than Winks. Nice idea.

I hate the spursy tag.

But one way to get rid of it is to win a game like that.

I thought the fans were top class once again. Difficult to get up for a noon kick off with the energy invested in the NLD 2 days previously.

We certainly created an atmosphere which encouraged the players. The final 5 mins we carried that team over the line. They needed it too as they looked physically shot.

Some things I'd like to point out.
We started the game well for once. I said before the game the previous 18 home games we let the opposition have the ball. This time we played on the front foot, despite not scoring it was much better to start the game with intent.
We are too slow passing the ball and lacking movement. The chances we created were off the back off quick play either 1 or 2 touch. This is how you break a team down. We had some good chances to score 2 or 3 goals but unfortunately hit them straight at Pope.

The penalty is nailed on by the letter of the law. The Sissoko penalty would no longer be given under the current rules, the ball has to hit the arm directly.

Crucial headers later in the second half. Especially 1 by Rodon who pretty much only touched the ball in that moment since coming on.

Big props to Hugo for once again coming out to catch the ball from crosses. Nullified their long balls and relieved the pressure. That 2 games back to back he's done this. Why has it taken him this long to do it? If he continues then he can be playing at the top level for many more years. He has attributes which not many other keepers have. He is still one of the fastest off his line so can play sweeper keeper, his shot stopping is OK, and now if he adds coming out for crosses then it elevates him that much more. Distribution still suspect.

Lastly, what a penalty taker Kane is. The best penalty taker in world football. Only person I have full confidence in to score. He goes left, right, middle, top corner. The accuracy and power is ridiculous. You could tell the keeper where its going and he still wouldn't save it.

I'd rather we had a lot of shots than just passing around and getting nowhere tbh.
Schitts Creek Agree GIF by CBC

I was saying the same thing to the guy next to me on Sunday. I love Hot Rod, but his shooting is pretty abysmal :)

pope, a definite long term option for Hugo. if Burnley go down, should we consider it? I think Hugo still has time. 1 season maybe 2.
I keep confusing Pope, with Sam Johnstone & Dean Henderson... is it me, or are they all a bit 'samey'?
We seem to have been linked with all three at various stages of their careers (usually straight after they've had 'one of those games' against us!)

Maybe 'cos they're all youg(ish) British 'keepers...
They're like a poor man's version of Shilton/Clemence & Corrigan, only probably not quite as good combined!

A deserved win, as Burnley's 1st half spoiler tactics were shameful, and it made me laugh at the sense of urgency that they suddenly discovered in the 2nd half.
How typical though, that Hugo was booked for timewasting, and nothing for Nick Pope.
The 2nd half showed that Burnley can actually play decent football, and I think we'd have struggled if they came at us a bit earlier, and I can't understand why a team that is looking relegation in the eye, would sit back like that.
Pope was amazing, and definitely kept it tense for us.
Well done lads; "Let's be havin' you!!" at Norwich. COYS
It's because they've watched Spurs put 4 past Villa, 5 past Newcastle, 5 past Everton and even 3 past City.

With a more attacking style they might have scored more, but they're thinking that instead of a single pen, they end up conceding 3+ goals.

We've also showed that we struggle to break down a packed defence.

Been decent but not 100 per cent sure bentacur is what we need next season if we want to challenge for title. Need a midfield maestro plus bissouma for me.
we’ve done pretty well since he’s arrived, and given most players improve once they’re fully settled he might be better next season.
I think we are 3rd form wise - which is what we’d be hoping for.

Even when they "came at us" in the 2nd half, we had more of the ball, more chances, more chances on target, a higher XG and ultimately saw the game out without many scares.

And the bleating over the handball is making me feel less sympathetic. His very long arm is stretched all the way out.
He's made his body bigger. Seen it quite a few times and there's no logical reason he spread himself like that. It's a perfect example of an attacker defending. He's not used to those situations.
Barnes took a gamble with the handball and lost, so no sympathy here at all.

Back
Top Bottom