Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No- this isn't accurate.

Ornstein didn't say Woolwich were his third choice necessarily; just that Barca were 1st choice and Chelsea were 2nd choice. After which he'd consider both Woolwich and spurs.

Given he wants CL football, he'd probably pick us over Woolwich; but as the article also said we prefer Richarlison so unlikely to enter into a bidding war.

Honestly, I’m surprised there’s no rumours of PSG being interested in him.

Eriksen just doesn’t fit anywhere in a 3-4-3 though. Those 2 midfield spots need to have some physicality because they have more defensive responsibility due to wing backs. He never performed well at winger in a 4-2-3-1 because he’s not fast or strong enough to be on the outside. It MAY be different than wing in a 3-4-3 where you have overlapping wingbacks, but I’m not sold.

His best positions are #10 or the highest of 3 CMs.
That's missing the point.

I've not caught up with the thread so don't know the status of this transfer.

But the point of getting him is to allow you flexibility in tactics and formation. He might not fit 343. But he offers 4231 and 352 as an AM if we need to switch to it.

I've posted this the other day. If we go into every game playing 343 all the time we will struggle. Other teams will find us out and it'll be frustrating playing the teams that sit back, like it already is.

We desperately need guile in the squad. Whoever that is.

United are in a bad spot, yes, and long may that continue, but they're still pulling in double the money we are, so it'll take a while.

Liverpool actually grew faster than us since our CL final.

The stadium is a great equalizer compared to the northern teams for the reasons you mentioned, but we still need to win big on the pitch to catch up to them.

We can never demand the 60m that Chavs got from Nike without winning PL/CL severa times, or having our shirt sales grow massively even without titles.
Utd's revenue is around £690M for 2022, ours is £494M over the same period. The gap has closed massively in less than 5 years.

Chelsea generated £450M in 2022, at a time when they were in the CL and with those huge sponsorship deals you mentioned. Lower revenues, higher outgoings. If we haven't overtaken them it's only in relation to success on the pitch.

Liverpool generated £540M in 2022, also with CL etc.

All of the above are currently at peak or are dropping off, we've only started on the journey, as 2022 is just the first year we've been able to start seeing the benefits of the stadium, and we haven't yet had the full quota of events etc planned.

In 2022 we didn't have the CL income and we still have naming rights to the stadium to finalise.

We're a whole lot closer than I think you realise.

I really don’t want him to go there. I can’t believe they can afford the fee Leeds want though surely?
Woolwich are bringing in good players, but from a squad building perspective it makes no sense.

They got brutally exposed last season because Partey and Tierney are injury prone and they had no depth at full back or defensive mid.

They already had an excess of attacking mids/ wide forwards. And now in this window they've brought in Viera, and want Raphinha too?
Jesus will plug their gap at CF, but according to Pep he's better at RW anyway.

This is like an idiot on FIFA manager mode with an unlimited budget.

How are they going to afford this much, esp without CL?

Veira already cost £35m; Jesus £50m, Raphinha £55m. That's already £140m.
I wonder if after all this they can afford to go after CBs and LBs, 2 positions they also want additions in.
seems Kroenke is pumping in 150-200 mill every summer, iirc that's been the case for the last couple of years

Except for Spence, which seems like just a matter of time, not a lot of news on advanced deals.

Someone recently said and I can’t remember who it was but it was essentially about how Spurs were making a much more concerted effort to keep information under wraps after the Luis Diaz situation in January. Certainly the way the Bissouma transfer worked out would indicate that as the news broke basically out of nowhere and it was wrapped up within three days.

Definitely feels like we’re in a spot now where there’s a lot going on behind the scenes and something will break soon regarding a CB or forward, maybe someone we haven’t really even been linked to.

I have a guess at a kind of unexpected player who I could see us going for: Fabian Ruiz. He was being touted in the 70-80m range the last two summers, but apparently he's not going to renew at Napoli and his contract is up in 2023. The quoted price (see below) is in the mid-20s, which I think would be a cracker of a deal.

Eriksen has been touted as being the one who could allow us to play 3-5-2, but I think Ruiz is a much better fit of the all-action but still creative third midfielder that Conte has proven to like. As has been noted, it took a long time for Eriksen to adjust to Conte and playing deeper on the pitch whereas Ruiz is a much more natural fit for that. Ruiz has some similarities to Barella, though Barella is a slight step up as a player because he's insanely good. Ruiz has played pretty much everywhere in the midfield as deep lying playmaker, 8/10, box to box, in a pivot, he's very versatile. Great passer, very creative, and pops up regularly with goals.

If it is true that we've slowed down our contacts with Eriksen, I wouldn't be surprised it is because we've identified a different target. Ruiz fits the mould of a play we could use, at an advantageous price a la Bissouma, and is from Serie A which we've obviously recruited heavily from with Paratici.

Back
Top Bottom