Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We are either a smart club or we aren't, as well.

Again, I've never seen this lad play and even if I had, my football scouting ability doesn't go much beyond "he kick ball gud". But the ramifications of buying extremely high on potential talent like this isn't simply a matter spending cash or not. If he bombs, we don't just write him off, it ripples throughout the team for the next few seasons. Unfortunately we're all too familiar with how shitty that can be. You'd want to minimize that risk as much as possible.

Big fee brings big expectations which can make or break a young player too.

It's all a very complicated maneuver. Could it pay off? Absolutely! If the football mad Conte rates him then I'm confident he's got what it takes. But is it the smartest move to make? I don't think so. Our recent bravado filled pragmatism is an exciting way forward. I'd be happy to stay on that track.

There are no small fees at PL level anymore.

The buying club should in all fairness have someone in HR specifically for coaching a young player coming to the club from another Country or smaller club either from the UK or Continent.

As for expectations, all players know what pressure a big fee brings it's part of the manager and coaches to also set expectations.

Players like Rooney, Deli, (for example) stepped up to the next level, it's no unheard of is it?

A loan for Lenglet at the deadline makes sense as a panic move to provide cover for Davies. If we're really doing it this early in the window, then you'd have to think that he's truly valued by Conte and Paratici.
Or we’ve already been denied on our first choices and don’t value any other options enough to go for them. So go with the cheap option immediately and spend the money elsewhere.

There are a number of banks who will 'buy' the outstanding instalments/receivables from player sales contracts, and indeed insurance companies will insure the banks get their money (ie credit insurance premiums), so between bank finance costs and insurance premiums, the total cost of financing will be significant. Its now a recognised 'industry'.

I don't have any real numbers but it wouldn't surprise me if a player sale for £50m paid over 5 equal annual instalments resulted in the finance costs being £10m so the selling club gets £40m at time of sale.
Usually around 10-12%

Winks + £25m for Richarlison would be tidy.

Can’t say I’m keen on Gordon. Not really sure what he’d gain from joining us. Certainly not game time.

Haha it’s beyond pathetic now really.

The guy has literally never got anything right and yet self-proclaims that all his posts are ‘pretty much spot on’.

He literally waits for media stories to break or copies other ‘ITK’ and posts relentless drivel like:

‘Names and deals are pretty sensitive right now so I have to be careful’

‘I can confirm we do have an interest’

‘There has been ‘movement’ on this one’

‘I’ve text my guy to see what the situation is’

‘My guy text me a list of names and he is on it’

I feel like he is a parody ITK? He just can’t be a real person who ‘works in education’?!
Indeed. I can categorically say that not a single so called 'ITK' even vaguely mentioned Gordon. The only time I've ever heard him come up was on the Guest and Gold podcast where Alasdair winds Rob Guest up by teasing him that Spurs should go for Gordon. That's it.

I'm not even mad at the charlatans, I'm mad at those too dumb to see the cold-reading in action.

Or Conte feels he needs a full pre-season to polish this French turd?

Either way I think people are blowing this out of proportion. They seem to have short memories, the idea of Ben Davies being a mainstay in our back 3 would have been laughable 10 months ago yet here we are with one of the best defences in the league.
I don't understand why you needed to bring his nationality into it.

Or Conte feels he needs a full pre-season to polish this French turd?

Either way I think people are blowing this out of proportion. They seem to have short memories, the idea of Ben Davies being a mainstay in our back 3 would have been laughable 10 months ago yet here we are with one of the best defences in the league.
It's still kinda laughable. Don't think we can push on with Davies as first choice, honestly.

I haven't watched Lenglet in a long long time, but if what people say about him is true, he might be a viable alternative to Davies to tide us over till next season.

He's supposedly great on the ball, something we need in our 3 man back line with the outer CBs required to get forward.

He's defensively poor, but Davies isn't exactly elite either.

So it's a question of just how bad is he defensively, and to what extent his ability on the ball makes up for that.
Can he head a ball

Back
Top Bottom