Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if we buy either Guehi/ Bremer who both have better chance of challenging for first XI.
But it is annoying that we have an error prone CB as a back up. We already had that with Sanchez who is now slightly improved. It's better for a back up to be someone you can rely on rather than someone known for great passing from the back.
Guehi is English, on a long term deal and owned by a Pl team. He will be proper expensive

The issue is Winks has only 2 years left on his contract, so if loaned with no obligation to buy, at the end of a one year loan he has one year left on contract = half the value.

If Everton do NOT want an obligation to buy, loan fee needs to be circa £10m as compensation for loss of value after a one year loan !

I think, reading between the lines, it would appear that we have been told that our two first choice targets for LCB (Bastoni and Gvardiol) are not leaving this summer no matter what. So, we have taken Lenglet on loan. If he’s good, we keep him and purchase him for peanuts. If not, we get rid and go again for Bastoni.

I would have liked to see us go for Pau Torres but there must be reservations about him.

Lenglet will surprise a few I think. I remember under Valverde, who plays a similar kind of counter attacking football to Conte, he was top notch for Barcelona. He may not begin the season as a started but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he ends it as one.

Good post.

Football is business as well. Sport and business not just one.

And you have to look at risk/reward of deals. Lenglet and Gvardiol are pretty much extremums of the scale.
Lenglet - proven quality in number of seasons, earned big transfer and played on highest level for France on NT level, now struggling for the club and made available for small fee. Biggest possible loss - few millions (salary cost + low loan fee). Biggest possible upside - getting starting CB for number of years for 6 million.
Gvardiol - young and highly rated talent. Played 1 season in top league. Valued very highly.
Biggest possible loss - roughly the amount of transfer fee. So maybe like 80 mil. Two unsuccessful seasons for us and he would not be moved for more than 20 mil.
Biggest possible upside - getting starting CB for ~10 years.

I am not saying we should just make so conservative deals, but between those circumstances and deal structures I know what deal I prefer.

Here’s how I think the squad looks assuming Richarlison and Lenglet (loan) have signed, and assuming one more HG player arrives (likely Spence or Gordon) arrives to give a potential squad size of 24 players.

Assuming that Rodon, Reguilon, Royal, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Bergwijn, Sarr and Gil were either sold or loaned out, we can recruit a further two overseas trained players – logically an extra CB or wing back and a left sided forward.

(NB If two HG players arrive (likely Spence as RWB and Gordon left sided forward) we can get a squad of 25 players)

Squad of 24 players :

GK - Lloris, Forster, Austin

RCB - Romero, Sanchez
CCB - Dier, Tanganga and New
LCB – Davies Lenglet

RWB - (Assume HG Spence ?), Doherty
LWB – Persic , Sessegnon

CM1 - Bissouma, Bentancur.
CM2 - Skipp, Hojbjerg,

RM - Kulusevski, Moura
Striker – Kane, Richarlison
LM - Son, New

Player Designation :

Club Trained – Kane, Skipp, Tanganga, Austin (Total 4)
Trained at other clubs affiliated with The FA : Sessegnon, Forster, Spence or Gordon (Total 3)
Total 7 ‘Locally Trained’ players - minimum 8 Locally trained Players

Overseas Trained Players : Lloris, Romero, Sanchez, Dier, Davies, Bentancur, Hojbjerg, Kulusevski, Son, Moura, Doherty, Perisic, Bissouma, Richarlison, Lenglet (loan) - Total 15 (maximum 17 players)

I already told you guys.....Don Paratici's idea of doing Richarlison's medical in the depts of the Amazons, with no phone network, helped seal the deal :cool:

Technically he hasn't signed yet

Reaction GIF

FWIW Everton fans are distraught with the deal, which is always a good sign

I think he will do well here
Well, I just hope my reservations about the downside of Richarlison don’t become an issue. He obviously has great qualities so let’s hope Conte can improve him even further and help him eliminate the negative parts.

Looks like he is a Lillywhite now so support him I will

The issue is Winks has only 2 years left on his contract, so if loaned with no obligation to buy, at the end of a one year loan he has one year left on contract = half the value.

If Everton do NOT want an obligation to buy, loan fee needs to be circa £10m as compensation for loss of value after a one year loan !
Prices are set in a market. I can value my mug at 20 quid but if I can't find anyone willing to pay 20 quid then its price isn't 20 quid.

I just don't think our valuation of Winks meets other clubs' estimations. What if they pay 20 and he proves to be a bigger fraud once he doesn't have the top 4 quality around him to compensate. Buying Winks is a precarious situation as sad as it is to hear.

Noises about Tielemans on SC.

I'll tell you this... if we get him, we might have to rename scum to Salt FC.

That'd be Yves, Charlie and Youri... who they wanted.

I've wanted Tielemans for years.

Under Conte he'd be amazing. 🙏

Back
Top Bottom