Financial Fair Play

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Difficult to be sure as these figures showing just wages (to which needs to be added transfer costs and agent fees) as a % of revenue (with most revenue being reduced due to pandemic).

Next year's results should show rising revenues post pandemic, but the need to add in transfer costs and agent fees are bound to add to some (generally bigger ) clubs more than others.

I'd guess that any club in the top half of the graph should be looking to need to start to trim player wages/acquisition budgets and reduce agents fees when the 70% limit comes into force in 3 years time, but the 90% limit next season should only worry a handful of clubs like Everton.

New regs should help deter Newcastle spending on wages and transfer fees - just a problem with their 'sponsorship' income credibility

Spurs are not going to be affected - the last revenue was £362m reduced from £402m due to pandemic, but it wouldn't surprise me if the next revenues with crowds back in the stadium, a resumption of other commercial income streams and increased sponsorships etc are not £500m+ and we'll be within the 70% limit even in year 1.

Completely agree - we get CL and it will be 550/600M the following year. 4th is pivotable for so many reasons, if we can hold Goons/Chelsea at arms length it only creates stress for them. For the first time in my adult life, I think we have a chance of winning the league in the next ten years (I know Poch worked wonders but never looked forward thinking we can win it)

They've pretty much caught them (or as much as they can given the grounds etc). Would say they are better run on all fronts.
8M behind on revenue last year despite Utd being fucking appalling. Football wise no brainer…… but Liverpool will drop off at some point. Their signings have been incredible and that won’t last forever. I remember SAF saying signings are 50/50

UEFA were referring to fair market value in sponsorship and bringing in checks to validate. Fingers crossed as that will start to hamper City hugely. If there was no financial doping, I honestly think we would be the second most powerful club behind Man Utd

Would be good. But UEFA have had rules in place for probably a decade which they do not appear to have been able to enforce.

5) Are owners allowed to inject money into their club as they like or through sponsorship?

If a club's owner injects money into the club through a sponsorship deal with a company to which he is related, then UEFA's competent bodies will investigate and, if necessary, adapt the calculations of the break-even result for the sponsorship revenues to the level which is appropriate ('fair value') according to market prices.

Under the updated regulations, any entity that, alone or in aggregate together with other entities which are linked to the same owner or government, represent more than 30% of the club's total revenues is automatically considered a related party.

BTW the regulations are now called 'Financial Sustainability regulations' - so the notion of 'fairness' has gone, its now more focussed on football clubs not going bust.

Am I being cynical in thinking UEFA will be less inclined to evaluate the 'fair value' of some commercial sponsorship contracts, and more just interested in the money/revenue being received - even though the phrase ' requirements to ensure the fair value of transactions,' is included ?

Am I being cynical in thinking UEFA will be less inclined to evaluate the 'fair value' of some commercial sponsorship contracts, and more just interested in the money/revenue being received - even though the phrase ' requirements to ensure the fair value of transactions,' is included ?

I don't know if we can saw for sure if they were actually inclined at any point in time to seriously look at the "fair value" of sponsorships. I think it actually looks worse to establish rules and not really enforce them rather than just forgetting about them altogether.

I don't know if we can saw for sure if they were actually inclined at any point in time to seriously look at the "fair value" of sponsorships. I think it actually looks worse to establish rules and not really enforce them rather than just forgetting about them altogether.

Big problem is to evaluate the real commercial value of commercial sponsorship values - I think UEFA had several 'experts' who submitted evidence that certain 'related party contracts' were worth a couple of million rather than the tens of millions claimed - but not sure if UEFA chickened out or CAS in accepting the huge (10 fold + ) difference in valuation ?

At Top of European Soccer, Fears That Rules Don’t Apply to All​

When the Paris St.-Germain president avoided punishment in a UEFA investigation, some worried that his power and his friendships were producing special treatment.

Would be good. But UEFA have had rules in place for probably a decade which they do not appear to have been able to enforce.

5) Are owners allowed to inject money into their club as they like or through sponsorship?

If a club's owner injects money into the club through a sponsorship deal with a company to which he is related, then UEFA's competent bodies will investigate and, if necessary, adapt the calculations of the break-even result for the sponsorship revenues to the level which is appropriate ('fair value') according to market prices.

Under the updated regulations, any entity that, alone or in aggregate together with other entities which are linked to the same owner or government, represent more than 30% of the club's total revenues is automatically considered a related party.
Ambrabitch sponsored the training bibs for £100m a year. cunt

YES

UEFA announced on Friday that eight teams will be fined for failing to meet their break-even requirements, with Monaco (€0.3m), Marseille (€0.3m), Besiktas (€0.6m), AC Milan (€2m), Juventus (€3.5m), Inter (€4m), Roma (€5m) and PSG (€10m) ordered to either pay up immediately or have these sums deducted from their prize pool from this season.

Further breaches would see each respective side charged again, with PSG handed the biggest punishment of another €55m payment if they don't break even.

Surprisingly, UEFA found that sides from England and Spain all met their criteria and would not be punished. However, they insisted that 19 clubs - Borussia Dortmund, Chelsea, Barcelona, Basel, Union Berlin, Fenerbahce, Feyenoord, Leicester City, Manchester City, Lyon, Rangers, Real Betis, Royal Antwerp, Sevilla, Lazio, Napoli, Trabzonspor, Wolfsburg and West Ham United - have been placed on a watchlist as they either only scraped their requirements or 'benefited from historical positive break-even results'.

These 19 clubs have been informed that they will not be given such leeway when their 2023 financial year results are analysed.

UEFA announced on Friday that eight teams will be fined for failing to meet their break-even requirements, with Monaco (€0.3m), Marseille (€0.3m), Besiktas (€0.6m), AC Milan (€2m), Juventus (€3.5m), Inter (€4m), Roma (€5m) and PSG (€10m) ordered to either pay up immediately or have these sums deducted from their prize pool from this season.

Oh boy, however will these clubs recover!

Further breaches would see each respective side charged again, with PSG handed the biggest punishment of another €55m payment if they don't break even.

Surprisingly, UEFA found that sides from England and Spain all met their criteria and would not be punished. However, they insisted that 19 clubs - Borussia Dortmund, Chelsea, Barcelona, Basel, Union Berlin, Fenerbahce, Feyenoord, Leicester City, Manchester City, Lyon, Rangers, Real Betis, Royal Antwerp, Sevilla, Lazio, Napoli, Trabzonspor, Wolfsburg and West Ham United - have been placed on a watchlist as they either only scraped their requirements or 'benefited from historical positive break-even results'.

These 19 clubs have been informed that they will not be given such leeway when their 2023 financial year results are analysed.
Who knew UEFA were bi-lingual. English and Bollocks in the same sentence. Impressive

It’s about the equivalent of sitting on the naughty step . Waste of time

Back
Top Bottom