Nations League.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s genuinely such a shame that Southgate is manager. We have some excellent players to choose from and they’re either not playing, being played out of position or in a system that does not work/suit them. This isn’t the best lineup but it’s a fuck load better that what we’re currently seeing.
Kane
Grealish - Foden - Saka
Rice - Bellingham
Chilwell - Tomori - Dier* - Walker
Pope
*I’m biased. Sue me.

How Southgate ever got the job is beyond me.

It’s genuinely such a shame that Southgate is manager. We have some excellent players to choose from and they’re either not playing, being played out of position or in a system that does not work/suit them. This isn’t the best lineup but it’s a fuck load better that what we’re currently seeing.
Kane
Grealish - Foden - Saka
Rice - Bellingham
Chilwell - Tomori - Dier* - Walker
Pope
*I’m biased. Sue me.

How Southgate ever got the job is beyond me.

Name me a manager since Southgate, that has done more for the England team? The guy took yous to a World Cup semi final and a euro final. You are talking about him like he’s a nonentity.

Since the won the World Cup in 66 then. No manager has come close to what Southgate has done.

And when he got close he completely fucked it. Didn’t change his tactics v Croatia in 2018 and sleptwalked into defeat. Didn’t turn the screw v Italy last summer and lost us the game. In big moments he’s failed tactically. He might be a good motivator but tactically he just doesn’t improve. Hopefully he has in time for the World Cup but it doesn’t look like it so far.

It’s obvious Maguire is not mentally right. He wasn’t great for United but was very consistent for England, now that has fallen apart. He needs to be dropped for England and leave United, maybe go Italy and rebuild his career.

tott_long.jpg
A clear photoshop job. Honestly, I'm impressed you went to such lengths to try and prove a point.

:levyeyes:

It’s obvious Maguire is not mentally right. He wasn’t great for United but was very consistent for England, now that has fallen apart. He needs to be dropped for England and leave United, maybe go Italy and rebuild his career.
I think going to a team like Brighton, Brentford or Leeds would serve him well.

And when he got close he completely fucked it. Didn’t change his tactics v Croatia in 2018 and sleptwalked into defeat. Didn’t turn the screw v Italy last summer and lost us the game. In big moments he’s failed tactically. He might be a good motivator but tactically he just doesn’t improve. Hopefully he has in time for the World Cup but it doesn’t look like it so far.
Does it ever occur to uber critics like you, that some games you just cant win, and that its either because the other team is better - or because they are just up for it on the day against you.
But oh no - you need a whipping boy, someone to pillory and string up from a tree.

When we got into the semi's in 90 Robson got a knighthood out of it and the nation feted him. 30 years later and everyone is a self styled abusive critic.

Looks like he’s headed too many footballs. Thick, vacant looking oaf

Has to be some form of bias from Southgate, not trusting Tomori and not giving Toney a chance

Are those criticising Southgate the very same people who were lauding him at the incredible last World Cup where he was a national hero because we won games against Tunisia, Panama AND Sweden?

Name me a manager since Southgate, that has done more for the England team? The guy took yous to a World Cup semi final and a euro final. You are talking about him like he’s a nonentity.
He came 4th in a tournament where he had the 2nd best squad and 2nd in a tournament where he had the best squad.

You may not have watched his Middlesbrough side, but I did. I wouldn't recommend it. They were woeful.

The persistence with maguire and right back on the left will ultimately be southgates downfall I believe. How you can not pick trent because you think he doesn't have defensive competency but yet persist with maguire who is the most incompetent defender is just beyond laughable. Picking players on form like he did at the start has completely gone out the window. After last night it's clear saka and mount should play but you can pretty much gurantee it'll be wasteful sterling and ineffective Foden that starts.

Does it ever occur to uber critics like you, that some games you just cant win, and that its either because the other team is better - or because they are just up for it on the day against you.
But oh no - you need a whipping boy, someone to pillory and string up from a tree.

When we got into the semi's in 90 Robson got a knighthood out of it and the nation feted him. 30 years later and everyone is a self styled abusive critic.

I watched and experienced the game. Anyone watching the Croatia match at the time was begging him to change it but he refused. It lost us the game. A game that was there to be won with a bit more nous. Maybe your memory is too short to remember.

The persistence with maguire and right back on the left will ultimately be southgates downfall I believe. How you can not pick trent because you think he doesn't have defensive competency but yet persist with maguire who is the most incompetent defender is just beyond laughable. Picking players on form like he did at the start has completely gone out the window. After last night it's clear saka and mount should play but you can pretty much gurantee it'll be wasteful sterling and ineffective Foden that starts.

No it isn't.... Far from it.... Especially in the case of Mount.

Last edited:
Looks like he’s headed too many footballs. Thick, vacant looking oaf

Has to be some form of bias from Southgate, not trusting Tomori and not giving Toney a chance

TBF, the whole Kane/Toney narrative this last fortnight has been a complete red herring......

We're not playing crap because of Kane and we wouldn't have suddenly sprung into life by playing Toney..... Even the Maguire stuff is overstated as he's not made the team play badly for the last 18 months either.

The simple fact is that the team look barely coached in an attacking sense and are totally reliant upon moments of brilliance that rarely come despite the many high quality attacking players we have at our disposal.

Last edited:
Since the won the World Cup in 66 then. No manager has come close to what Southgate has done.
He’s had the most talented team England have had in my memory and he got a laughably easy draw in the World Cup. The only top team they’ve beat in in knockout round is Germany in the first round of Euros. Their World Cup knockout fixtures: R16: Columbia in pens, QF: Sweden 2-0, SF: Croatia loss, 3rd place: Belgium loss

Euros: Germany win, Ukraine win, Denmark win in extra time, Italy loss in pens.

Decent but not overly impressive results, but fortunate draws.

I have a feeling you'll do well enough in the World Cup. Don't think you'll win it but then again you aren't full of superstars, no matter the hype your press tries to mount around them. You have good players though.

Regarding us, and distorting a famous quote, "Italians play the World Cup qualifiers as if they were Nations League matches, and Nations League matches as if they were World Cup qualifiers." It's frustrating as hell for us to watch.

Back
Top Bottom