Defoe ahead of Soldado for Prem Matches?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I dnt think us losing had anything to do with the strikers, it was a lack of creativity which was eriksen's responsibilty. I must be in the minority but I dnt think soldado is gonna be or should be our long term striking option, I actually thought negredo was a better option nd we just went for soldado coz he was taken. But I do see him scoring goals but not 20 goals a season, we need aleast one of those especially with every team we competing with bar chelsea has one.

a good striker helps open up space for the midfield

a good striker also offers you an outball when under pressure

a good striker doesn't spend most of the match standing next to his marker waiting for a miracle pass

a good striker doesn't spend most of the match standing next to his marker waiting for a miracle pass
I dn't mind that and I even agree with that, but for me we already had a striker like in adebayor, I thot soldado was gonna be different to him, nd he still might be its still early. Btw I'm no a defoe supporter not after this game, so either way soldado is gonna start.

I love Defoe but honestly he's not a top 4 striker to be honest if he was he wouldn't have played for spurs/pothsmouth for the last 8 years. Jol knew it, I know it, deep down we all know it. Soldado brings more of the side in and we stronger for it. Defoe is a great player but through an extraordinarily lean 12 years only Keane & Berbetov have been better than him which says it all and there not top 4 strikers either.

stick with Soldado

let defoe get goals record in the midweek compitions job done.

lets learn and move on COYS

Eriksen looked lost without soldados clever movement in front of him. I'm no defore hater but today showed why he shouldnt be starting games.

It's not even as simple as Soldado>Defoe... but Eriksen has been playing with Soldado for the last 3 games and starting to develop an understanding with him. The main reason I didn't want this switch up here was because that parntership need smore time to develop. Switching strikers on our #10 who is still getting comfortable seemed and proved to be counter productive.

Either way, we tried it, it flopped, hopefully AVB will dial it in one way or another before Aston Villa.

Soldado, Is top draw! His movement First Class! It has nothing to do with him! We need the creativity to find him! At home, for me, you play both Eriksen and Holtby, (especially today!!!) both Soldado and Holtby's introduction was far to late! We.ll bounce back! No worries! Sometimes you learn more from defeat than victory!

COYS!!

Still think it was the right choice to start Defoe. Defoe has showed through the years that when he is scoring, he is great (at putting goals in). Defoe has been put on great form, regardless of teams played. Defoe is playing a rival and this would be his first PL start. First time for 2 years since Defoe has a true CAM to play through balls to him. I stand by the choice to start him. IMO, the choice to start Defoe was more about him rather than Soldado getting dropped.

Really didn't understand this decision today the more I think about it, hope it hasn't had a negative effect on Soldado, as if there wasn't enough pressure on him already.

It's not even as simple as Soldado>Defoe... but Eriksen has been playing with Soldado for the last 3 games and starting to develop an understanding with him. The main reason I didn't want this switch up here was because that parntership need smore time to develop. Switching strikers on our #10 who is still getting comfortable seemed and proved to be counter productive.

Either way, we tried it, it flopped, hopefully AVB will dial it in one way or another before Aston Villa.

Defoe in the midweek cup games had been developing quite an understanding with Holtby, perhaps he should have started ahead of Eriksen? Or to have introduced Holtby a lot earlier in the game. I still feel that Jermain shouldn't be starting games in the league. I think the sooner we have Adebayor back in the team as another option then we'll have another outlet for Soldado to work off.

Defoe in the midweek cup games had been developing quite an understanding with Holtby, perhaps he should have started ahead of Eriksen? Or to have introduced Holtby a lot earlier in the game. I still feel that Jermain shouldn't be starting games in the league. I think the sooner we have Adebayor back in the team as another option then we'll have another outlet for Soldado to work off.

This, if Defoe was starting then he should have started Holtby as well.

I actually think if AVB was gonna start with Defoe, he shoulda ALSO replaced Eriksen with Holtby (but that was never gonna happen) due precisely to the reasons stated that Eriksen and SOLDADO have developed an understanding... well so have Holtby & Defoe... (see Villa/Anji away, exhibit A. & B.)
The one thing AVB does have, is players working in little teams within teams... Holtby & Defoe have formed their own little team, and it (was) working well... so to totally ignore that, and TRY to make Defoe play Soldado's position (which isn't his strength) makes little sense.
What was more annoying, was suddenly seeing us decide to cross the ball in the one game Soldado WASN'T there!

A good striker scores goals.

Defoe is the 5th highest goalscorer in our history.

wasn't completely sure bout the soldado over defoe thing bout now I am, so agree Soldado is better for the team hence the torres comparism. I'm nt thrilled by him but he'll hv to do until we find someone else, if only he was some young kid who could grow into a world class player instead of a 28 y.o in his peak or close to it.

I'm not trying to dig you out personally (although it's gonna sound that way!) but it's comments like this that really wind me up.

Roberto has stated 6 games for us and scored two and set-up two - and some people are already talking about looking for alternatives?

Give the bloke a chance. We are essentially a new team and it is his first season in the premiership and are not in my opinion playing to his strengths - he needs time.

Based on what I've seen so far his not in the top, top bracket of striker (I'm thiking Tevez, RvP, Rooney, Aguero) but just below. His movement and linkup play are top draw and he does so much more than Defoe when he is off the ball.

I don't know if your a season ticket holder or get to the games but watch him for 10 minutes regardless of where the ball is and you will see what I mean.

Give him time - his going to come good.

Or could it just be that Eriksen had a poor game, and didnt create anything, for anyone?

Usually agree with most of you posts Sammy, and in a way I do with this one but...

I felt we were lacking any sort of decent width which caused us to become narrow forcing all the play through the middle and playing right into WH hands who were content to pack the midfield when we were on the attack.

This led to a total lack of space and lack of options for Eriksen - he couldn't go wide because the options were not there for him and going forward was difficult because of a lack of movement from Defoe and the amount of congestion in front of him.

We seemed to get frustrated by the lack of space and hoof the ball forward on a regular basis as well totally bypassing the midfield.

So poor game yes, but I think this was compounded by our general crapness making in extremely difficult for him to operate.

Back
Top Bottom